kvsoldseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #62
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsoldseca
I love the KLR w/ the hack
Watching Ty ride that thing was one of the high points of my trip. It wasn't just me, everyone was amazed at how he rode it.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #63
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been procrastinating and even debating whether to finish this report. I did go out and get in one more full day of riding during my unexpected time off. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures. I'll have to do this without the crutch of pictures to tell that part of my story.

After returning from North Carolina I still had a week off. I had a lot of stuff to get done since I would be working in Huntsville, AL instead of Columbus, GA. I had been really busy between moving out of my apartment in Columbus, going to Kansas for training, and most importantly, doing lots of riding. I spent most of that time working around the house. I did mange to take my dog for a hike up Kennesaw Mountain.

This would make for a challenging ride:

Whether I'm riding or hiking, I prefer doing it in the mountains because of the views.

I wonder what the soldiers manning these cannons thought of the view?

I also managed to go for a short local ride on my DR.

It was enjoyable but I was looking forward to one more full day of riding in the mountains.

LIVING WITH CRS DISEASE

Let me start by saying that I suffer from an advanced case of CRS (can't remember shit) disease. It was because of CRS that I didn't get any pics on my final day of riding.

SloDon, one of thhe local KLR riders had set up a ride leaving Ellijay early in the morning. I decided to join in. I loaded my KLR in my truck and headed out at about 7 AM. 15 minutes down the road I realized that I had forgot to bring my camera

No time to turn around and still make the meeting in Ellijay. I decided that I would just enjoy the ride and not worry about taking pics. It's been a long time since I did that. Besides, I'd be riding on all my usual roads and after North Carolina it would be anti-climatic anyway. So I arrived in Ellijay and joined about 8 other riders. I rode with the group for awhile. Then I broke off and headed to TWO with a couple of riders who we met along the way. I wanted to just hang out at TWO and catch up with the numerous people I have met there over the years. The rest of the group arrived about an hour after me. They ate and then headed off. I was feeling lazy and decided to hang out some more. Little did I know that this would lead to much more adventure than I expected.........

klaviator screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 09:43 AM
Old 11-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #64
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH ME

I'm hanging out at TWO. The weather is perfect. I love this place. I'm totally relaxed, I don't feel like doing much except hanging out. I took a pic on a previous visit that shows the scene perfectly.

The guy on the right could easily be me....nice and relaxed. On the left is the famous (infamous?) Dirt Vader. Dirt Vader's screen name fits him very well. He rides a well used black KTM 950 Adventure and he rides it in places that a big heavy 990 has no business going. How can he do this.......The FORCE must be with him
Whether it is the evil or good side of the force, who knows

So I'm hanging out with Dirt Vader who is also enjoying the day. He has mentioned a road in the past that I have never been on....and I have been riding this area for years and have ridden just about every legal road in the area and possibly a few "not so legal" roads also
He asks me if I want to go ride this road with him today. Despite feeling really lazy, I take him up on it and off we go. DV asked me not to post the name of the road so I won't. Lets just say I have ridden past it many times and never thought to ride down it. We head down the road. It starts off as a pretty tame gravel road, then becomes rocky. Suddenly I come to rock ledge. At the bottom of the ledge is DV and his "horizontally positioned" bike
Where's my camera when I need it??? I could have added to the large number of crashed bike pics I took on this trip Oh Well, at least with no pic I can claim that the rock ledge was AT LEAST 10 FEET TALL. After DV picked up his bike and rode off, I had to figure out how to get down this ledge. There was an easier route on the left but it would be very difficult to back my KLR on the narrow downhill trail so I went down the ledge. Like I said, ten feet tall

Then the trail started to get rough. Lots of big rocks and deep mud holes. One mud hole was so long I couldn't see the other end I looked for a way around but couldn't find one. So I went for it. It ended up not being more than about a foot deep. My Shinko 244's, despite being 50/50 tires, handled the mud surprisingly well. More mud and rocks and we came to the other end. I normally take my lighter XT350 if the riding will be challenging. I felt pretty good about getting my KLR through here without dropping it. The weather had been pretty dry. After a big rain, this road would have been seriously challenging.

DV and I rode a little more then split up and headed for home. I glad to be able to have something new and a little excitement on my last day of riding. It was a fitting end to my unexpected time off.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #65
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some final thoughts.

The morning after the ride I was looking for my camera but couldn't find it. My CRS was really acting up Finally I looked in my backpack......the one that was on my back during the ride. Sure enough, my camera was in there. I had put it in there the day before the ride so I wouldn't forget it Of course, I forgot I put it there CRS disease is a terrible thing.

Despite CRS, I will remember the riding I did, the scenery, and the people. I am really glad I took the time to take the pics I did. I also appreciate all the people who added their pics to this report. If I'm having a crappy day, I can look at this report to remind myself how great life can be.

The events covered in this report were truly enjoyable for me. I often dream about going back out west or various other places but this trip reminded me of how lucky I am to live near such great riding. As much as I have ridden this area, there is so much that I have yet too ride.

Last, but not least, I consider myself truly fortunate to have been able to meet and spend time with the people mentioned in this report, people who share my passion for riding. Without them, this time would not have been nearly as memorable and enjoyable. I am looking forward to riding with all of them again sometime in the future.

Winter is just around the corner but I am already looking past it to another great ride in the Smokies

Until then, I'd like to re-post two pics. The first one my wife and mom liked it so much they decided to use it as the background on their computers. I think it captures some of the mood of fall in the Smokies.

The second one I like even better. It has the same stream in it but also motorcycles, my fellow adventurers and a feeling of remoteness, peacefullness, and adventure.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #66
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
LIVING WITH CRS DISEASE

Let me start by saying that I suffer from an advanced case of CRS (can't remember shit) disease. It was because of CRS that I didn't get any pics on my final day of riding.

Hey there Doug
There is an very wise statement that says "It is a wise man who knows how and when to laugh at himself." I saw this thing about CRS disease and without reading any further down your thread cut and pasted CRS into google to do the research. I was feeling sorry for you thinking you where suffering from a debilitating disease [and whether I would fly on any plane you piloted]. As I read some of the symptoms I said to myself "Hey that is exactly some of the same symptoms I suffer from ...... and then right between the eyes it hit me!
I going back and rereading your thread. I just shot through before, Those two gorgeous young ladies you where riding with are they your daughters?
Please do not let this thread end keep it going.
Gene
Old 11-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #67
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff
LIVING WITH CRS DISEASE

Hey there Doug
There is an very wise statement that says "It is a wise man who knows how and when to laugh at himself." I saw this thing about CRS disease and without reading any further down your thread cut and pasted CRS into google to do the research. I was feeling sorry for you thinking you where suffering from a debilitating disease [and whether I would fly on any plane you piloted]. As I read some of the symptoms I said to myself "Hey that is exactly some of the same symptoms I suffer from ...... and then right between the eyes it hit me!
I going back and rereading your thread. I just shot through before, Those two gorgeous young ladies you where riding with are they your daughters?
Please do not let this thread end keep it going.
Gene
CRS is a terrible disease, but I think I was born with it. Many people are. Have you ever had something in your hand, put it down and 30 seconds later you can't find it? That's a sign of CRS. Have you gotten on your bike, put your gloves on and realized your keys are still in your pocket?....thats another sign......There are many more but I can't remember them right now

As for the two gorgeous young ladies, I never met Laura or Carmen before this ride. I met them through this forum and they were willing to ride with an old guy like me They were a real pleasure to ride with. I have met many really nice people through this forum and expect to meet many more. It is always a pleasure to meet other people who share my passion for riding and adventure.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #68
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Howdy klaviator!
Here is a post I've copied and pasted here. Hope it's not taken as a hi jack but more of a complement to your writings. I'd like your imput on somethings listed below. Especially the area of keeping notes, photos and videos for my book. Many thanks and looking forward to our next ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaziozzy
The Fucked up deal:
Loooooong story short
May 6, 2009
Got rearended by a truck. Therapy. Dr. To Dr. To Dr. $$$ blah blah blah!
12-9-2010
Diagnosed:
Temporal lobe epilepsy
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/epilepsy_temporallobe

Back to the Dr. Next week for meds. change. No work for 4-5 more months. I haven't worked much since the wreck. The best I ever feel is when I'm on my bike.

Again. Loooong story short.

I'm in Indiana. I left a while back for 34 days or so on my KLR/Enduro hack. See Kamakaziozzy rides the fuzzy beaver DS and keeps on going thread. I ended up in Key West. Over 5,000 mi. Lots of memories and I made it home. The most relaxed I've felt since the crash. When I'm home I'm stressed, wich causes me issues.

My Fix:
Prepare rig: I have Dauntless Enduro. I'd like to see some photos of rigs with utility boxes that lock. I'm thinking where a passenger could still sit or not? I know it's a simple thing. Just a box. I'd just like to see diff. ideas. Remember I got brain damage

Head south to warmer weather, then west till I get there. You know, there, the place that feels good to ride. It's warm, hammock sleeping under the stars, no asphalt, just miles and miles of dirt.

Dr. apt. in 8 wks. store bike, fly home see fam. and Dr. fly back to bike and continue ride.

Any suggestions as to:
Where to ride/route, interstate til I get out of frigid temps. Then throw me some curves, gravel and dirt.
Store bike?
May bring my dog? kennel for dog if I bring him?
Anyone want to meet up and ride along the way?

Later
Kamakaziozzy
Latest thoughts:
Hmm, no responses? Maybe I'm not asking the right questions. My head is usually not right when I'm on the computer cause if it was I'd be outside on the bike playing in the snow. Let's try this:

I'm gonna see the Doc in the a.m. Figure a switch of meds. 4-5 weeks I should notice a difference but in the mean time I gotta get out of Indiana for a little therapy on the rig.

Figure I'll leave the first of the year. Snow, sleet, low temps just add to the Adventure! Don't know how many weeks I'll be gone.

I'm not gonna take the dog. Just gonna be to cold when I leave and it's gonna be all I can do to take care of myself.

Another thing I'm gonna do is write a book. One chapter will be titled. "Kamakaziozzy Rides the Fuzzy Beaver DS and Keeps on Going!!!" this ride will be another chapter. Any suggestions on note keeping, photos, videos etc…?

One thing I'd like to find is a hack doable dualsport type ride, I like gravel and dirt, or snow between Indiana and California. Or just a gathering a like minded fools.

Another thing I'd like to see is photos of Dauntless Enduro hacks modified for such trips. I'd like to find or have built a truck bed like storage box for secure, weather proof storage.

A few items I'm getting ready to purchase or have my wife (The Queen of All My Dreams) make:
Bar mitts such as hippo hands
Custom skidplate. I think it needs to cover the subframe/sidecar mounts. Anythoughts?
Heated gear: jacket, pants, socks & gloves or grips.
GPS. This is a very confusing thing for me to purchase. I know about the threads on here but with my brain injury it is just to much info for me to take in. I know, I know. I don't want to start a big rukus on this one. So let me narrow it down. I like Garmin. Waterproof as I will ride in snow, rain and I've been known to go submarine style on a occasion or two. If I ever am able to drive a vehicle again I'd like for it to talk to me. "Hey dumby here comes a left turn! Don't miss it!" so anyway if y'all can help out in the GPS department.
Any suggestions on brands & places to purchase?

I'll probably take my tent just in case but I sleep in a hammock with a mattress pad in it. Sleeps great!!!

I'm thinking this adventure will take me to Southern CA. so if anyone in-between wants to hook up and show me some good riding. I'm all for it. I'll post a couple threads later of some rides Ive done to give you an idea of my riding style but I'm pretty open. I enjoy just cruising along smelling the scenery to WFO slamming the rig into corners and hammering out like a bat out of Hell!

I'd have great interest in the states of AK. TX. NM. AZ. CA. In the southwest. I may have missed a couple. Just going by memory that ain't that great and no map in front of me.

Any info above will be used and appriciated greatly.

Later
Kamakaiozzy
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:12 AM   #69
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Tye,

I'm always happy when someone bumps one of my reports back to the top

Still this is probably not the place to plan a trip so I will reply in your post in the Hacks thread.