User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
eye.surgeon OP
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Triumph Tiger 800 vs. V-strom thread

I'm getting a bit of a jump start on this issue given we won't have all the details for another 10 days and won't have test-rides for a couple months, but given the likely cross-shopping between the two, I'd like this thread to be a discussion of the merits of these two bikes in comparison.

For starters I'm interested in the relative scale of the two bikes. We have some measurements available now, if someone skillful with Photoshop feels so inclined it would be cool to see the two bikes superimposed on each other to get a feel for how they compare in size.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 02:13 PM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Tiger 800 seat height: 31.9"

VStrom seat height: 32.3"

Neither is particularity short person friendly.

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas

I'm 5'7" and I can get both feet flat on the ground on my Wee. Thankfully I have a 32" inseam. I'm wondering if it's either lighter or carries it's weight better than the Wee

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:

It's not the height of the seat it's how wide it is. The Strom has a really wide seat that exaggerates the height the Tiger Cub appears to be narrower more like a cross between the wide Strom and the narrow F800 plus the Tigers seat is height adjustable.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Gravehunter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
I'm a Strom owner and i reallly cant think of anything the Strom would have going for it over the Tiger at this point.
Maybe reliability over the very long run, but i think that will be a moot point as they will be very very close.
Its a first year model so their could be some issues with the first year models but i doubt anything major.

Only time will tell, but i'm not seeing anything to even consider thinking of keeping my strom.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
What's the source for that bit of info?

I went from a WeeStrom to a Tiger 1050. It's hard to verbalize the feeling, but the best words I can come up with are "build quality." I really liked the WeeStrom, but the Tiger has a far more refined feel, to ride or to work on. Of course parts are more expensive, but so far I have needed few. I did replace the shock on the Tiger, but suspensions seem to be a weakness for all manufacturers.

Also, the Tiger 1050 was a first-year model in 2007 and I have had no problems.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 110
Ergos: It looks like Triumph has matched the comfort and ergos of the Wee. I just hope the seat-to-peg distance is greater. I understand that it may be an adjustable seat? My legs have always been cramped on the Wee. Finally got an Airhawk and it really transformed the riding position.

Suspension: Triumph doesn't have to work very hard to beat the Wee here, but let's hope they did a little more work than they needed to.

Brakes: See above comment.

Cockpit: See above comment and the comment above that. Every time I look down on the Wee, I feel like I'm riding a lawn tractor. A kick-ass lawn tractor, but a lawn tractor nonetheless. Triumph's "urban sports" instrumentation is very tasteful.

Engine: I really like the Suzi 650, a lot. But I think this new triple is going to trounce the Wee's powerplant. I've ridden a Daytona and a Street Triple, and that engine is telepathic. We'll see if more is better.

Price: My guess is that these bikes are going to be priced somewhere around almost exactly $1000 less than their BMW conterparts. The Wee will still be thousands less.

Conclusion: I'm looking at an '04 Multistrada. Yep. Dumbass.

-
Old 10-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,881
Seriously, you are starting a comparison thread about a bike no one has ridden yet?? Seriously ??
craigincali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
eye.surgeon OP
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Price: My guess is that these bikes are going to be priced somewhere around almost exactly $1000 less than their BMW conterparts. The Wee will still be thousands less.

-
The Wee now lists for $8,100 in the US. The BMW F800GS lists for $11,395. The Tiger will struggle to sell for more than $1,000 less than the BMW in the hyper competitive US marketplace. So that leaves it well within competitive cross-shopping with the Wee. I have no doubt it's going to steal sales like crazy from both 650 and 1000 Strom riders.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 11:36 PM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoPeep
Ergos: It looks like Triumph has matched the comfort and ergos of the Wee. I just hope the seat-to-peg distance is greater. I understand that it may be an adjustable seat? My legs have always been cramped on the Wee. Finally got an Airhawk and it really transformed the riding position.

Suspension: Triumph doesn't have to work very hard to beat the Wee here, but let's hope they did a little more work than they needed to.

Brakes: See above comment.

Cockpit: See above comment and the comment above that. Every time I look down on the Wee, I feel like I'm riding a lawn tractor. A kick-ass lawn tractor, but a lawn tractor nonetheless. Triumph's "urban sports" instrumentation is very tasteful.

Engine: I really like the Suzi 650, a lot. But I think this new triple is going to trounce the Wee's powerplant. I've ridden a Daytona and a Street Triple, and that engine is telepathic. We'll see if more is better.

-
Pretty much spot on I reckon. As a Wee owner I think the new Tiger will definately be a big improvment. Much as I like the Wee, it's a bit agricultural and the suspension is terrible. Not sure if the Triumph will be as rock solid reliable as the Wee, so I'll probably wait a year before buying - provided I enjoy the testride and there's enough legroom. I'm more interested in the road version, bound to be cheaper and will definately handle better (on road).
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
BigBoPeep
The Bad Stenographer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep
Not sure if the Triumph will be as rock solid reliable as the Wee
Lotta guys ride Triumphs in my area. They are solid bikes.

-
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Keithy
Chaotically Keith

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon
The Wee now lists for $8,100 in the US. The BMW F800GS lists for $11,395. The Tiger will struggle to sell for more than $1,000 less than the BMW in the hyper competitive US marketplace. So that leaves it well within competitive cross-shopping with the Wee. I have no doubt it's going to steal sales like crazy from both 650 and 1000 Strom riders.
Could be the same price......Only once it's been test ridden will we know if it's a better beast.....then maybe sell it at a $1000 more than the BMW.......Or sell it at the same price as a wee and kill the profit margin?

I'm thinking you meant to say "They (Triumph) will struggle to sell the Tiger unless it is at least $1000 less then the F800GS"
Keithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
For Wee owners with leg room issues ... try switching to the DL1000 seat. Adds about an inch. Better shaped seat as well.

I own a 1050 Tiger and have been very pleased with it after owning two DL1000's (80K miles combined). I've ridden friend's Wee Strom's a lot too. I've also test ridden the Street Triple, so know the 675 motor. It is sweet ... but must be worked and rung out! Some riders like that element, some don't.

Power wise, this should be no contest. The Wee, on a good day, puts out about 60 RWHP. The Street about 90 RWHP. The new Tiger will be an 800, should put out close to 100 RWHP with decent torque as well.

30 HP is a huge differential. No contest here.

Weight.
The Wee is not a Pig, but no light weight either. The basic 675cc package is a very light, modern motor, one of the lightest in the industry. The 800 version will weigh a bit more (maybe 10lbs ? ) but I'm guessing the Tiger power plant alone will weigh 20 to 30 lbs. less than the Suzuki 650cc motor. This is huge in terms of overall performance, especially the way it will affect handling.

But the Wee Strom will still be a super useful Mule. Can't think of a better round the world travel bike. Load it up ... even over load it ... it won't complain and will run forever. The Strom's are tough as nails too. Buy a used on for $4000 or $5000 and you can count on an easy 100,000 miles.

But is it exciting? Inspirational? Not so much. It is fun ... but my guess is the new Tiger will be much more fun, better performing and should have many of the practical elements the Wee Strom is endowed with.

Triumph in general have been reliable but are not without issue: Some 1050's had piston/ring/cylinder problems. Most replaced under warranty. Some battery/charging problems. I've heard of some problems with the 675's but can't recall details. So Suzuki still wins in this area. But Triumph seem to be getting better with every new generation. Lets hope the new XC Tiger continues that theme.

Brakes:
To me, this is major. The brakes on my DL1000's were never great. The Wee is the same. Not unsafe but once you've ridden a modern bike with state of the art brakes (like the radial brakes on my 1050 Tiger) it's hard to go back. Triumph ABS is stellar ... as good good or better than any BMW ABS. The excellent brakes add to rider confidence in all situations. Safer, better control and just plain FUN!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
something i noticed on the left side pics i saw was that the motor sits pretty high above the center line of the wheels. I wonder how heavy it will feel, regardless of its weight?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Seriously, you are starting a comparison thread about a bike no one has ridden yet?? Seriously ??
Honda's Big New Dual-sport vs rumored Tiger 1200 forum now!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote