ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #1546
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Still much to do before the trip to Toroweap.
I'm not sure how I'm going to get it all in either. Work is very busy this week and I have family stuff in the evenings that is going to put a damper on getting prepared for the ride. I'll fit it in somewhere though. Can't wait!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #1547
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Thanks again for all of the info Julio and the tips. It seems that it gets a bit sketchy the more map layers that go in but if you put a map or two in it doesn't seem bad, then pull it out and start fresh when you are done. The colors help. That TTR looks like alot of fun. I had ridden the F650 and the KLR in the box canyon area, but it wans't until I rode the XR250 out there that I had fun. Those light little bikes are a blast.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #1548
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 640
Nice find !!
ZEmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #1549
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I took it to the Coke Ovens ride last year and had a blast!

That looks like a lot of fun. You'll have to go show me where it is sometime when it gets a little cooler

However, it's a bit too small for some.

Gulliver in the land of Lilliput? I"m think I'm gonna look like that on the little 125 aswell
Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #1550
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Thanks again for all of the info Julio and the tips. It seems that it gets a bit sketchy the more map layers that go in but if you put a map or two in it doesn't seem bad, then pull it out and start fresh when you are done. The colors help. That TTR looks like alot of fun. I had ridden the F650 and the KLR in the box canyon area, but it wans't until I rode the XR250 out there that I had fun. Those light little bikes are a blast.
Yeah I've been trying for the past few days to squeeze the entire Tonto National Forest service maps into the little Oregon but haven't been able to yet. I'll get it eventually.

A tip for navigating with a car designated unit is to not try and overwhelm it. You can hook it up to Basecamp and basecamp will read whatever map you have installed on it. A lot of the marked dirt roads like the one going up to Young will be on the unit so there's really no need to make a custom map for it.

There's a catch though.

Since your nuvi does not accept tracks or routes you'll have to simply upload waypoints to it and let the unit do point A to B calculations.

Remember how on Loren's GPS I was able to extract a GPX file called "current" which had all of his Favorites waypoints? Well all you have to do is create whatever waypoints you want in Basecamp and save that file as "current.gpx" and replace that file in your GPS.

Here's an example. Let say you are going to Young. If you ask your Nuvi to take you to Young this is what it will do:

View Larger Map

It will route you down the 60 through Miami and North up the 188.

But since that's not what you want and you'd like it to go through the Apache trail, you'll have to select a different intermediate waypoint to get the GPS to do what you want it to. Route it from your initial destination to a point along the route that will force the GPS to go where you want it to go. Save that waypoint as waypoint "1.1" (which is day 1 leg 1. That way it's easy to find in your favorites folder)

Your 1.1 waypoint should take you from initial point A to this point B:

View Larger Map

So once you arrive at that 1.1 waypoint you can then go to your favorites folder and upload.....tada! Waypoint 1.2 which would be a route you made from point A(1.1) to point B(1.2)

View Larger Map

It's really simple once you get the hang of it. I actually do this as a backup on all my multi day street rides just in case for any reason any of my routes or tracks don't want to cooperate.

oh, and also go to your settings and check your "avoidances" settings. You'll want to make sure that dirt roads are not checked.

Let me know if something's not clear and I'll try to explain it better.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #1551
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Laugh Progress

I started on "project 125" today and wanted to share my progress with you guys.

I took off the old grips (they were badly perished and coming apart in my hands)

I cleaned up the throttle assembly, lubed the throttle and clutch cables, put on new grips, brake lever and bar pad.

Then I started on the airbox. The inside of the filter was mouldy and perished and the whole thing looked terrible.

Much better

I also cleaned out the carburetor, but it was such a PITA to get to with the long range tank on it that by the time I had it out and open I just did the job and forgot to take pictures.

Next up I'm gonna mount some new rubber and replace the tubes (I don't know how old they are and don't want them perishing in the middle of nowhere). I also still have to repack the muffler and replace the brake fluid, after that she should be good to go.

Dirtbiker78 screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 09:14 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #1552
SouthWestRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
"Next up I'm gonna mount some new rubber and replace the tubes (I don't know how old they are and don't want them perishing in the middle of nowhere). I also still have to repack the muffler and then she'll be good to go".

None of my business but if it was mine - change the fork oil & seals and shock oil, grease the steering head bearings, swingarm and linkage, put anti-seize on the chain adjuster bolts, change the spark plug, change the trans oil & coolant, fresh gas, check the reeds and perform a leak down test.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1553
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Yeah I've been trying for the past few days to squeeze the entire Tonto National Forest service maps into the little Oregon but haven't been able to yet. I'll get it eventually. ...

Woot, there it is!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #1554
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRider View Post
None of my business but if it was mine - change the fork oil & seals and shock oil, grease the steering head bearings, swingarm and linkage, put anti-seize on the chain adjuster bolts, change the spark plug, change the trans oil & coolant, fresh gas, check the reeds and perform a leak down test.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #1555
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRider View Post
"Next up I'm gonna mount some new rubber and replace the tubes (I don't know how old they are and don't want them perishing in the middle of nowhere). I also still have to repack the muffler and then she'll be good to go".

At the moment I"m doing the things I know how to do, I'll have to take it somewhere to get most of those done. I'll have to replace the steering head bearing soon as it felt a little "clicky" at full steering lock when it was on a paddock stand so I'll get those things all done at the same time (swingarm, shocks and forks). I'm thinking I'll just have them do a full bearing RnR on the swingarm linkage and both wheels and the steering head. but for now it'll be ridable before that gets done.
The gas in the tank is "fresh" I mixed it up to take it for a test drive as it was "dry" when I went to look at it, so it just needs to be filled.
I'll change out all the "fluids and filters" before I ride it cause I don't know how old that stuff is or when last they were changed.

Good idea on the reeds, I didn't think of that. I'll anti-seize the chain adjuster bolts while I have the wheels off today.

Dirtbiker78 screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 08:20 AM
Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1556
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Anyone seen this guy?

So I ride into down town Phoenix from Chandler for work and every once in a while I see this other inmate on a KLR 650 2nd gen black riding west on the 202 before going north up the 51. He's got a big ol' ADV rider sticker on the front left panel too. I'll tell you what though, being a KLR rider myself, his KLR is way to clean!

Anyways, anyone know who he is?
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #1557
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
The last of the group just left. Great class. I've decided that if we give another class, I'm going to have a power point projector. Cyberdos did a great job instructing. It's way more computer involved than I knew.

Thanks to everyone that came, and to those who brought stuff with them. If you guys ever need a place for something, just let me know. As long as I'm in town, you can use my place.

Btw, did the GPS sign help?

Damn... I certainly hated to miss this class. It was a major decision for me to rush back to Sunny AZ or stay here

for another week ! ! ! Daaaa

Really like to make the next one.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #1558
cyberdos
True Story Bro

for that outburst
go sit in the corner until you're told.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #1559
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
woot, there it is!

nice
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1560
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Julio GZ on the GPS. Thanks for the additional info. I played around last night with some Garmin adventure stuff too thought it might be another way to share stuff etc.

Brian, If you get a tech day together I am sure people will give you a hand with the stuff you haven't done before. I don't know Jack about 2 strokes but I am sure other people around here do. I can help you with the rest of the stuff like fork seal and the likes.

Looks like weather wise we could hit some rain up and back to Jacob's lake. Saturday looks clear. I just hope Toroweap didn't get flooded out this week.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote