ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #1591
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
... Paul was the only casualty. He hit a big boulder in the middle of the trail with this rear tire while trying to miss it with his front tire. The blow caused him to lose control and smash his ankle into the berm on the side of the road and then somehow he ran into a bush/tree and flipped over the handlebars and onto his back. ...
show off!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #1592
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal View Post

Caught my 5 fishies. Time to go home and enjoy them.
Nice catch. Where is that little pond? I am down to ride to a fishing spot. I might ride laborday. Let me know if you are interested in setting up a fishing ride.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #1593
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Back from Toroweap!

It was a great trip. No flats! Paul was the only casualty. He hit a big boulder in the middle of the trail with this rear tire while trying to miss it with his front tire. The blow caused him to lose control and smash his ankle into the berm on the side of the road and then somehow he ran into a bush/tree and flipped over the handlebars and onto his back. At least that's how he conveyed it to us. No one saw it and there aren't any pictures so we aren't really quite sure it's true.

He's okay though. Brian quickly dug out the man up spray out of his med kit and we continued the ride after tightening Paul's chain.

I'll load some of the pics I took once I get them all downloaded.
You sprayed him with WD 40 & he's OK?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #1594
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 547
Toroweap

Just got in and what a great ride!!!

It was perfect weather (well A little wet on the way home) and great people, throw in the most spectacular scenery I have every seen and you have the making of a Epic 1100 mile ride.

Will post more later with pictures!!!!!

Bill

IBRiding screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 06:52 PM
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #1595
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 441
Glad to hear Batman and Robin made it home okay. This was an epic journey with ride reports from all of us and more photos to follow. Thank you all for a great weekend! -Paul

Toroweap Casualty by ROWdude, on Flickr
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1596
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 547
Ouch

Paul,

That ankle really swelled up good. I hope the bruising to come is not too bad.
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #1597
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Glad to hear Batman and Robin made it home okay. This was an epic journey with ride reports from all of us and more photos to follow. Thank you all for a great weekend! -Paul

Now just imagine how big that would have swelled up if we didn't have "man-up spray"

Thanks for an awesome weekend guys. I had a fantastic time and I"m already looking forward to next time.

Photo's to follow....
Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #1598
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
You sprayed him with WD 40 & he's OK?
It was Dirtbiker78's idea. All the cred goes to him.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #1599
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Dang dude. I hope that ankle heals up well.

How much rain did you guys run into? We got rained on basically from Lee's Ferry until we were south of Flagstaff. It rained pretty dang hard too. Just added to the adventure though. We hopped in the hot tub as soon as we got home to thaw out and rest our muscles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post

Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #1600
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Those look like soft feet. Who does your pedicures?

My bike just got picked up in Danbury Connecticut!

If all goes well it will be in my garage in in 3 weeks. Can't wait.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #1601
team taz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
overnight ride this weekend

Going to leave this Sunday morning early and ride up to the cool country. Tent camp overnight, do some forest road travel and exploring, and back home Monday evening. Let me know if anyone's interested.

cheers,
Bob
team taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #1602
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
Laugh Torroweep

Hi Guys, Here's my take on the Torroweep ride from this weekend. If you couldn't make it, you'll have to make sure to go on the next one cause you really missed out. It was a great ride and the weather held off for the best part of it and only added to the gloom of going home on Sunday.

I was up early on Friday morning after days of packing and unpacking and then repacking the bike cause I had no idea what to bring with, so I brought "EVERYTHING"

So off I went to "Ibriding's" house from where we set off to meet up with "750Volts" and took off for the 87 and headed North.

"Co-coordinating" and "Meeting up"

We drove up this beautiful road for a few hours and stopped a few times to stretch our legs and so that I could admire the scenery (cause I hadn't seen it before). Eventually we ended up on this "short cut" which was some low speed crazy single track stuff with "narly" uphills and logs to cross and everything and was some of the best riding I'd done on a big bike ever. Intimidating but fun at the same time before we hit some wide open dirt roads that had us standing on the pegs laughing in our helmets and grinning from ear to ear, a perfect way to start the weekend

Some of the dirt roads proved too much for 750Volt's sleeping bag who decided to unravel itself and try to have a lie down

They took me to see some wild flowers too.... cause "I'm into that kinda thing"

Then we stopped for fuel and went on to the Subway for lunch when we saw a KLR and a Yamaha 250 roll by. So naturally we went on a mad dash to try and catch them.
That took much longer than any of us thought it would. That little two fiddy was hauling the mail I tell you. Lucky for us, it can't go too far before having to fill up, and that's where we caught up.

We drove through this awesome valley with a double rainbow (the valley had seen rain just before we arrived).
I couldn't get a picture of the rainbow, but I did get a nice picture of my bike at the most beautiful time of the day.

We made it to Jacobs Lake about a half hour after sunset and about an hour before the beer shop closed. So plenty of time to get the room and grab a cold one

The next morning it was discovered that 750Volts had left his heart meds at home, so we went to this awesome little town that was just buzzing with excitement and activity. Turns out they were having a festival that afternoon.
We gassed up the bikes, KLR riders checked their oil, nuts, bolts, chains and anything else that can rattle loose of fall off too, including the riders

And then we were on our way to find the dirt road to Torroweep

Which found easily enough. So we made our way down this fantastic dirt road, sliding the back end around corners and jumping over cattle guards, and it just carried on and on and on for miles on end.

MrGoldfish (now known as "Batman") giving it hammer and tongs

IbRiding giving it the berries

And 750Volts going like the clappers

Oh, sorry, wrong pic, let me try that agian....
750Volts going like the clappers....

Much better

The scenery was fantastic and I'm sure none of us really wanted to get to Torroweep too badly cause the road was just so much fun

We did however inevitably get to our destination and the "prime excuse" for the trip. And this is where "young, master Robin" (blueskies) had his "MLOT" or Momentary Loss Of Tallent

(Yup, that's called evidence)

So we hung out, clambered over rocks that really brought the "kid" out in all of us and we spent hours, just staring at the canyon, pointing and going "look there", "look at that" and "WOW!!!"

Enough enough!! Okay, just one more

(yeah, if "Robins" Mom see's any of these photos she'll probably tan his hide)

Eventually, when all the photo's were taken, we started looking for "Batman and Robin" who had gone off somewhere. I think they unsuccessfully went hunting or something cause when they came back they proceeded to eat anything that wasn't bolted down, rooted to the ground or moving.

After a few hours watching these two pack more food in their bodies than any of us thought was humanly possible, we managed to get them to stop chewing for long enough to put their helmets on and herd them back to the bikes

Leaving Torroweep and heading back to Jacobs Lake that evening 750Volts managed to find the only rock "this size" with his wheel

Which then pitched him into a ditch, twisted his ankle and flung his bike into a tree...... "Apparently"

What with the limp as bad as it was we had to ask about medical kit and enquire about anyone having "man-up" spray with them.

I felt quite sorry for the bike, it ended up in a bush and got crashed so hard that the chain came loose

But then I realized it's just the KLR gene and that it's completely normal for them to act out when another bike receives more attention than them or they feel left out, because at the same time one chain was being tightened, the other bike decided it didn't want a chain cover anymore. So to prevent the chain cover from being lost to the trade winds completely, we strapped it to "old trusty" (the little wr)

Thankfully enough there were no further MLOTs, no other bikes were feeling left out and we all made it back to Jacobs Lake with cold beers in tow and smiles a mile wide.

On Sunday morning, We all packed up and headed back out into the wilderness on our faithful two wheeled beasts of burden. The rain clouds were threatening to open up on us with a full barrage from the very outset

And soon enough, we had to stop and don our rain gear

We slabbed it home down one of the most beautiful highways I've ever been on (yes, it was my first time riding down I-17, don't bash me for it )
Saw this tiny little Mexican restaurant while looking for the Taco Hell. I can't remember the name of the place but the food was really good and looking back today, I probably should have had more.

Saw this scene from one of the rest stops. What do you guys think, Big bikes to the right, little ones to the left or what?

Navigating our way through the late afternoon traffic, We all got home safe and sound and looking forward to doing a ride together again. The dynamic of the group was fantastic and I was chuckling in my helmet all the way home as I mulled over the amazing riding and awesome times we'd had this weekend.

Thanks again for arranging this ride and doing all the prep-work so the rest of us could just tag along and enjoy the scenery

Disclaimer: No!! It's not all factual, some of it was just for entertainment purposes so you guys wouldn't get bored to tears looking at one photo after the other

Dirtbiker78 screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 04:43 PM
Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #1603
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
...The dynamic of the group was fantastic and I was chuckling in my helmet all the way home as I mulled over the amazing riding and awesome times we'd had this weekend...
BAH!

Excellent write up.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #1604
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Toroweap Route - Alternative

After talking/hearing about a possible alternative route to Toroweap from Jacob's Lake, I looked into what might be a plausible route.

This is what I got. You can also see it in the image below.

http://goo.gl/maps/DeMkV

There isn't really a route that hugs the canyon and takes you all the way back to the plateau. I think the main reason is that there is a giant tributary canyon to the Colorado river that shoots north off of the main canyon and it's smack dab in between Jacob's Lake and Toroweap.

You can see the giant hole below.

This route cuts out the majority of the slab where you sit behind tourists in their cages and hope that a cop doesn't gun you down when you go to pass them. Might be worth a shot if anyone ever wants to revisit the area. It also allows for the gas fill up in Fruitopia.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1605
cyberdos
True Story Bro

I see a couple of roads that actually do hug the canyon. If you zoom in closer you'll see them. but They aren't marked roads. Would have to see if they are legal to ride or not.