ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #1606
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
All of this is Al Gore's fault you know.
If Al Gore had not invented the internet, we would not have a forum to rant on.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #1607
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
So I got a bit tired of walking in to local places and asking for items and every answer was we can order that. I placed a decent sized order with Motorcycle Super Store for my new boots, a battery, chain/sprocket, and filter. The shipping info and email said to expect delivery Aug 30th. I rec'd confirmation on the 29th that the order shipped. UPS said they picked up the order on the 30th. I got the items Tuesday. Excited I tried my new boots on and one of the straps was defective. Disappointed I called the store. They said I can buy another strap on Ebay, try to contact Fly Racing, or return the order. The guy says buying a strap on ebay would be the cheapest. Shipping will be expensive. I ask for a contact at Fly he says they don't have one. I try to email Fly and still no response (Their website has shiz for contact info) I guess lesson learned. If you want to ride a motorcycle move to Kalifornia where they have stores and parts. The other option is that there are plenty of Off Road shops for trucks and Jeeps. Okay I am done venting, I can't wait until my prison sentence in AZ is over.
Update: After many a yellow page google search called Fly. They said that they didn't return my email because all warranty goes through the dealer. Wow. I guess I box all the stuff up and send it back. WTF!
I've had good luck with MC Superstore in the past, and lousy luck with products from FLY racing. Similar thing, a boot strap broke on a brand new boot. They said they no longer supported that boot style and perhaps it was time for a new pair. I took their advice and bought a new pair from another manufacturer.

As for the local biz thing, I second the Helmet Center. They have a decent selection on hand for both street and dirt.

Other than that, I just buy online and hope for the best. If I gotta wait for shipment I might as well get the better price.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1608
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
I got my boots at ride now in chandler. They had my size in stock and told me they only had black. I said I would never buy anything black in the desert, I wanted white. They finally admitted to having them when I was about to walk out. They do have a lot of stock, though.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #1609
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 27,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
If Al Gore had not invented the internet, we would not have a forum to rant on.
I don't call it ranting. I like to call it pissing and moaning.

As for online purchases most of the places I've dealt with have decent return policies. Places like Rocky mountain ship extremely fast and you usually have your stuff back within just 2-3 business days. To me that's not such a big deal. It's just a minor inconvenience to pay for having pretty much anything I want at the keystroke.

You've got to know when to pick your fights. I like walking into shops and trying stuff on too but I much rather price compare and have the convenience of hundreds of reviews on all sorts of gear within the comforts of my home.

It's just a different time. Maybe in the future I'll also be complaining about the good ole days.

Eventually, Paul, you'll get your boots and it'll all be good. A ride will make ya feel better man.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #1610
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
I have given much thought to what everyone has said and I think everyone is correct. I believe that riding dual sport is a pretty tall challenge. Let's face it it 5'8" (29" inseam) and 225lbs I am not exactly built for speed or a GS. I think the best thing I can do is decide dirt or street and focus on that. If I had more time I could do both but between the gear, the bike upkeep, and time with family away from hobbies it would prove difficult. Thanks again for putting up with me. I get why so many guys trailer their bikes and ride loops now. Having a truck with all of your gear in it and not having to rely on a bike that you thrash the hell out of really sounds much more appealing the more I think of it. Ankle is almost good so I should be back out in a few weekends, -Paul
Nooooo! Amigo, don't go to the dark side. Stay! We're here to help you, man!

Cruisers are not the answer!

rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #1611
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
I have given much thought to what everyone has said and I think everyone is correct. I believe that riding dual sport is a pretty tall challenge. Let's face it it 5'8" (29" inseam) and 225lbs I am not exactly built for speed or a GS. I think the best thing I can do is decide dirt or street and focus on that. If I had more time I could do both but between the gear, the bike upkeep, and time with family away from hobbies it would prove difficult. Thanks again for putting up with me. I get why so many guys trailer their bikes and ride loops now. Having a truck with all of your gear in it and not having to rely on a bike that you thrash the hell out of really sounds much more appealing the more I think of it. Ankle is almost good so I should be back out in a few weekends, -Paul
I'm telling ya man, trailering the bikes out isn't for pussies. It's for guys that have nothing to prove to anyone and have come to realize that riding a dirtbike on the pavement just isn't much fun at all.

I used to be one of those guys that dissed trailer queens but once I got over that BS I saw the light. Another great thing about trailering is that you can mock the dumbasses that rode there while you go home in an air conditioned cab.

Dirtbike gear is relatively cheap. What I never skimpy on is boots. That doesn't mean I buy 300 dollar boots though. I buy good used boots at really good prices.

In AZ I don't think you should give up n dirt riding. There are good street roads but the off road heavily outnumbers the pavement here in terms of quality riding. That's just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #1612
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

I was scrolling around Google Earth today and I came across Devil's Chasm Indian Ruins.

Here is a link with some pretty good pictures.

http://www.arizonaruins.com/sierra_ancha/devils_chasm.html

The ruins are a 4 mile roundtrip hike from NF203. NF203 is North East of Lake Roosevelt off of Cherry Springs Road.

My plan would be to Ride up to the trailhead on a friday and camp overnight. Then I could hike to the ruins Saturday morning and ride back out that day.

The pictures look like it would be a fun hike in the fall. I would rather hike up while the leaves are still in the trees, so November would be perfect.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1613
MrGoldfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
I want to say my dad took me here before when I was a kid. I would be down for something like that. Let me know what dates you were thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
I was scrolling around Google Earth today and I came across Devil's Chasm Indian Ruins.

Here is a link with some pretty good pictures.

http://www.arizonaruins.com/sierra_ancha/devils_chasm.html

The ruins are a 4 mile roundtrip hike from NF203. NF203 is North East of Lake Roosevelt off of Cherry Springs Road.

My plan would be to Ride up to the trailhead on a friday and camp overnight. Then I could hike to the ruins Saturday morning and ride back out that day.

The pictures look like it would be a fun hike in the fall. I would rather hike up while the leaves are still in the trees, so November would be perfect.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #1614
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

November 15th and 16th would be a good tentative date for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1615
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
i'm telling ya man, trailering the bikes out isn't for pussies. It's for guys that have nothing to prove to anyone and have come to realize that riding a dirtbike on the pavement just isn't much fun at all.

I used to be one of those guys that dissed trailer queens but once i got over that bs i saw the light. Another great thing about trailering is that you can mock the dumbasses that rode there while you go home in an air conditioned cab.
+1 What he said.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1616
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Dillon's gotta work on his memes.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #1617
Dillon@ZenMoto
falls down too much

Oddometer: 305
ill keep my mouth shut....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #1618
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon@ZenMoto View Post
ill keep my mouth shut....
well you don't have to keep your mouth shut but please stay away from the meme button.

Leave the JM stuff for the pros.

I'm available for a reasonable fee.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1619
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,325
devils chasm is awesome,,, the last bit is pretty steep but well worth the hike, and the canyon you walk through to get there is pretty cool too.

quite a few other cliff ruins in the immediate area also.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #1620
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,325
Quote:
I get why so many guys trailer their bikes and ride loops now. Having a truck with all of your gear in it and not having to rely on a bike that you thrash the hell out of really sounds much more appealing the more I think of it.-Paul

until you come back to a vandalized or missing truck, happens more than you might think, and some of our own inmates have been the victims.

bout the only time i dont mind leaving my truck is when i'm out in the back 40 somewhere camping. i'll make a basecamp and do day rides from it.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote