ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #1771
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
I have given much thought to what everyone has said and I think everyone is correct. I believe that riding dual sport is a pretty tall challenge. Let's face it it 5'8" (29" inseam) and 225lbs I am not exactly built for speed or a GS. I think the best thing I can do is decide dirt or street and focus on that. If I had more time I could do both but between the gear, the bike upkeep, and time with family away from hobbies it would prove difficult. Thanks again for putting up with me. I get why so many guys trailer their bikes and ride loops now. Having a truck with all of your gear in it and not having to rely on a bike that you thrash the hell out of really sounds much more appealing the more I think of it. Ankle is almost good so I should be back out in a few weekends, -Paul
I'm telling ya man, trailering the bikes out isn't for pussies. It's for guys that have nothing to prove to anyone and have come to realize that riding a dirtbike on the pavement just isn't much fun at all.

I used to be one of those guys that dissed trailer queens but once I got over that BS I saw the light. Another great thing about trailering is that you can mock the dumbasses that rode there while you go home in an air conditioned cab.

Dirtbike gear is relatively cheap. What I never skimpy on is boots. That doesn't mean I buy 300 dollar boots though. I buy good used boots at really good prices.

In AZ I don't think you should give up n dirt riding. There are good street roads but the off road heavily outnumbers the pavement here in terms of quality riding. That's just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #1772
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 526
I was scrolling around Google Earth today and I came across Devil's Chasm Indian Ruins.

Here is a link with some pretty good pictures.

http://www.arizonaruins.com/sierra_ancha/devils_chasm.html

The ruins are a 4 mile roundtrip hike from NF203. NF203 is North East of Lake Roosevelt off of Cherry Springs Road.

My plan would be to Ride up to the trailhead on a friday and camp overnight. Then I could hike to the ruins Saturday morning and ride back out that day.

The pictures look like it would be a fun hike in the fall. I would rather hike up while the leaves are still in the trees, so November would be perfect.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1773
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
I want to say my dad took me here before when I was a kid. I would be down for something like that. Let me know what dates you were thinking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
I was scrolling around Google Earth today and I came across Devil's Chasm Indian Ruins.

Here is a link with some pretty good pictures.

http://www.arizonaruins.com/sierra_ancha/devils_chasm.html

The ruins are a 4 mile roundtrip hike from NF203. NF203 is North East of Lake Roosevelt off of Cherry Springs Road.

My plan would be to Ride up to the trailhead on a friday and camp overnight. Then I could hike to the ruins Saturday morning and ride back out that day.

The pictures look like it would be a fun hike in the fall. I would rather hike up while the leaves are still in the trees, so November would be perfect.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #1774
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

November 15th and 16th would be a good tentative date for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1775
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
i'm telling ya man, trailering the bikes out isn't for pussies. It's for guys that have nothing to prove to anyone and have come to realize that riding a dirtbike on the pavement just isn't much fun at all.

I used to be one of those guys that dissed trailer queens but once i got over that bs i saw the light. Another great thing about trailering is that you can mock the dumbasses that rode there while you go home in an air conditioned cab.
+1 What he said.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1776
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Dillon's gotta work on his memes.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #1777
Dillon@ZenMoto
falls down too much

Oddometer: 308
ill keep my mouth shut....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #1778
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon@ZenMoto View Post
ill keep my mouth shut....
well you don't have to keep your mouth shut but please stay away from the meme button.

Leave the JM stuff for the pros.

I'm available for a reasonable fee.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1779
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,673
devils chasm is awesome,,, the last bit is pretty steep but well worth the hike, and the canyon you walk through to get there is pretty cool too.

quite a few other cliff ruins in the immediate area also.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #1780
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
I get why so many guys trailer their bikes and ride loops now. Having a truck with all of your gear in it and not having to rely on a bike that you thrash the hell out of really sounds much more appealing the more I think of it.-Paul

until you come back to a vandalized or missing truck, happens more than you might think, and some of our own inmates have been the victims.

bout the only time i dont mind leaving my truck is when i'm out in the back 40 somewhere camping. i'll make a basecamp and do day rides from it.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #1781
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
So let me get this straight, You ordered the items on the internet because you did not want to wait for the local store to order them. You had a problem with the order and have to pay shipping (again) to return the items to the store where purchased because the producers don't deal directly with customers, hence the stores.

Here's a thought, If you order from a local store you might pay a little more but usually you don't have to pay shipping and if there is a problem the dealer assumes the risk and, I don't think you are going to get many items faster then what your local dealer can.

The internet sales are killing the local shops because of people just like you.

I am not innocent of buying over the internet but, I usually order items that you have to go directly to the producer of the product or something that the local guys can't come close in there pricing.

All that being said; Good luck with your purchase.

And remember: "wherever you go, there you are"! California, Arizona, Pakistan.

Quote:
So I got a bit tired of walking in to local places and asking for items and every answer was we can order that. I placed a decent sized order with Motorcycle Super Store for my new boots, a battery, chain/sprocket, and filter. The shipping info and email said to expect delivery Aug 30th. I rec'd confirmation on the 29th that the order shipped. UPS said they picked up the order on the 30th. I got the items Tuesday. Excited I tried my new boots on and one of the straps was defective. Disappointed I called the store. They said I can buy another strap on Ebay, try to contact Fly Racing, or return the order. The guy says buying a strap on ebay would be the cheapest. Shipping will be expensive. I ask for a contact at Fly he says they don't have one. I try to email Fly and still no response (Their website has shiz for contact info) I guess lesson learned. If you want to ride a motorcycle move to Kalifornia where they have stores and parts. The other option is that there are plenty of Off Road shops for trucks and Jeeps. Okay I am done venting, I can't wait until my prison sentence in AZ is over.
Update: After many a yellow page google search called Fly. They said that they didn't return my email because all warranty goes through the dealer. Wow. I guess I box all the stuff up and send it back. WTF!

ybracing screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 02:46 PM
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #1782
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
November 15th and 16th would be a good tentative date for me.
My brother is getting married that weekend. Can't do haha.

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #1783
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

I am flexible with the dates. Let me know a weekend in November and I will start planning my work calendar. I just want to hit a friday Saturday.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #1784
AzTinBender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
[QUOTE]
Quote:
I saw that on Google Earth a while back and have wanted to go there ever since. Pick a date and I'll do what I can to be there.
AzTinBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #1785
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I'm telling ya man, trailering the bikes out isn't for pussies. It's for guys that have nothing to prove to anyone and have come to realize that riding a dirtbike on the pavement just isn't much fun at all.

I used to be one of those guys that dissed trailer queens but once I got over that BS I saw the light. Another great thing about trailering is that you can mock the dumbasses that rode there while you go home in an air conditioned cab.

Dirtbike gear is relatively cheap. What I never skimpy on is boots. That doesn't mean I buy 300 dollar boots though. I buy good used boots at really good prices.

In AZ I don't think you should give up n dirt riding. There are good street roads but the off road heavily outnumbers the pavement here in terms of quality riding. That's just my opinion.
Right on!

I am going to put my bike and my buds bike in the back of my truck, drive to Yosemite, ride about 200+ miles in two days, and drive back to Phoenix. Please tell me that this ain't go'n to be a blast . The sad reality is that if you're into bikes, then you have to have a small stable of bikes that fit the style of riding you plan to do! To Cyberdos' point, if ride'n dirt is in your blood, then you'll figure a way to make it work.

If one has an accident and questions if dirt is in their relm of riding, I get it! I have screws and plates in me. All I can say, dust yourself off, and get back in the saddle. Ride Baby, Ride!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote