ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #2116
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I may have a wiring harness for you Bill. Let me see if I can pull some strings.
Deja-vu
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #2117
cyberdos
True Story Meng

Oddometer: 24,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Deja-vu
no shit, right?

I've got to get a stock starter switch assembly on this thing though. I don't like not having a kill switch.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #2118
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
great ride yesterday, i enjoyed meeting new folks and putting faces to names. i learned that my idea of a moderately easy rd is quite a bit different from some others idea.

bloody basin rd from sheeps bridge to 7springs is pretty dang nice, ive seen it rough, that aint rough. i mean passenger cars drive to sheeps bridge,,, what more do ya want?

the uphill to sheeps bridge is pretty rough, i'll give ya that, but those of us who have been around all agree, it used to be intimidation going DOWN, now you can ride down with a beer in one hand.

so, whats the gauge for a rough rd, when the beer in the cupholder sloshes?
I've always wondered
> > > so, whats the gauge for a rough rd, when the beer in the cupholder sloshes? < < <
I would hate to invite a bunch of you boys on one of my loops... only to find that 1/2 can't handle "what I consider" the easy stuff. Really don't want to get anyone hurt, pride or otherwise.
Damn may just be easier to keep riding alone
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #2119
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,793
i thought you were doing just fine, it was a group ride not a group race, all was and is cool with me. but if you think that was too tough a road your really gonna miss out on some of the best AZ has to offer for scenery and destinations.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #2120
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
I did tell you guys that clockwise was easier....

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #2121
cyberdos
True Story Meng

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Just for the record I was pretty much the only one doing the complaining about the terrain. Keep in mind one of us in the group was riding two up and several were on 600lb bikes. I am not really interested in the very technical stuff. I would be happy to ride graded forest roads. You are mostly correct I am better off leaving this type of riding and harder trails to those that are more adept to it.
We still love you Paul!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2122
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
It was a fun ride. Even getting my 990 up the tough spot was fun.
My legs are still sore from pulling a lot of those bike up that trail.

Sure glad Bill had those straps to pull the bikes up. That was really the only bad spot and it was just bad cause I was on a 600lb pig.

Bob,... (I think that is his name) on the XR650 can flat out ride. We were hauling on the roads. Bob would pull a wheelie out of almost every turn and proceed to ride it to the next turn. It was really a great time and made me wish I was on a smaller bike so I could play with Bob and CrownRoyal a little more.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #2123
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Just for the record I was pretty much the only one doing the complaining about the terrain. Keep in mind one of us in the group was riding two up and several were on 600lb bikes. I am not really interested in the very technical stuff. I would be happy to ride graded forest roads. You are mostly correct I am better off leaving this type of riding and harder trails to those that are more adept to it.
This has always been a genuine concern for me & hosting rides. I have several day-loops in my area to share with ADV members. Intend to take AZTom along on a loop soon, just to get his thoughts. Like I said before I do not want to have anyone riding beyond their capability. However, I feel that a bit of difficulty creates a memorable adventure.

I'm not riding single track, mostly jeep roads, yes some are really eroded and have some challenging areas. (likely about 10 miles of 55 mph pavement on this reading)
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #2124
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,235
Great photos from up above Crown Royal! Man, it's a little deep across the river, it would have been better to go up the hill? No?

Looks like a good time, I was really wanting to make this ride with all of you but the wife had me working all day. Next time we ALL do this ride again we can get all the bikes up the hill and keep the boots, pants, and (carb) out of the water.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2125
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 450
Thumb HorseShoe Lake RD

HorseShoe Lake rd has been recently graded due to work on the Dam so if you want easy ride very scenic 10 miles of dirt.

The Lake is Empty

Biebs screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 03:58 PM
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #2126
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Great photos from up above Crown Royal! Man, it's a little deep across the river, it would have been better to go up the hill? No?

Looks like a good time, I was really wanting to make this ride with all of you but the wife had me working all day. Next time we ALL do this ride again we can get all the bikes up the hill and keep the boots, pants, and (carb) out of the water.

Brad,

I think it was me not Crown Royal. After seeing Mike make it and never having attempted a water crossing that deep I thought what the hell. The bike never quit and to be honest the water felt really good. Well except for the wet feet a few hour's later

Next time it's the hill for me.

Again thank to everyone, I had a great time and really enjoyed riding with you all.

Looks like I will be taking next weekend to get the bike in running order so I can be ready for the Howling at the Moon ride

Take care

Bill
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #2127
AzTinBender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Horseshoe Dam & Sheep Bridge

Kathy and I had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped rope the bikes up the hill. You gotta admit, we got pretty damn good at it by the time the last bike came up. Next time maybe we could pull up a jeep with a winch first. Sure it would suck, but the next 7 or 8 bikes would be a piece of cake.
I would have bet my entire life's savings (about 8 bucks) that Bill wasn't going to make it a mile after we got his wiring harness into some sort of useable shape. A bet I would have been glad to lose. I still can't believe it got him home. It's rides like this that show us what we're capable of. If this shit was easy, it would be too crowded for anyone to ride.
Thanks again and here's some pictures:

AzTinBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #2128
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,694
Those tow strap shots really show the effort folks put in to get everyone up
I feel like I took the easy way out and crossed the river but, my bike is tall and so 'am I
I just didn't want to put me, my bike and 5 other guys through hauling it up...we got EZ up
through muscle, burning rubber & clutch abuse....
Thanks for the pics...I'd do it again because I made it
Ok, maybe a smaller bike would be a better choice
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 07:44 PM
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #2129
cyberdos
True Story Meng

Quote:

That's awesome!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #2130
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 584
Did anyone use the brakes while be towed up the hill for stability.

I pushed a car, that died in the middle of the road, to the side and the lady kept flashing her brake lights. She didn't even realize what she was doing.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote