ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #2131
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
No worries to all. I am just saying that I was the only one really whining. Fact is that I had a great time and thanks to all involved.
If I hadn't felt like crap all day I probably would have ridden alot better. I think I might have a touch of the flu. I think every 3rd person at the school district is sick with something. Little f-ers keep giving me sniffolous...LOL
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #2132
CrownRoyal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I really hope I can still ride like these guys when i’m in my 70′s. I thought I would share this great video.

By Motojournalism and Traction off-road E-rag. Documentary about off-road riders Paul Rodden and Larry Murray two venerable motorcyclists who just won’t stop doing what they love. More info and behind-the-scenes at motojournalism.com
updates via twitter @motojournalism

http://youtu.be/K_T41kJm-PE
"Hold my whiskey and watch this"
CrownRoyalADV.wordpress.com
CrownRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #2133
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 504
That movie was really good. I guess I should have a lot of riding left in me.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #2134
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Awesome video. I met Larry Murray a few years back at the Prescott, Ontario annual car show. He seemed like a really down to earth guy. I need to dig through my photos. I think he was hanging out with a buddy that drove a SuperBee.

Prescott Car Show by ROWdude, on Flickr
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #2135
fuzzydude2
CMA'er

Oddometer: 211
"Did anyone use the brakes while be towed up the hill for stability."

I did had to stop so my legs could catch up!

06' Triumph Sprint / 00' Goldwing
01' Moto Guzzi California Special
98' KTM 620 RXC / 05' KTM 525 EXC
fuzzydude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #2136
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712

Awesome images taken of the crossing from the bridge and these group tug images.
A bit of a challenge makes for a great RR
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #2137
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Sitting here on the freeway. Chain snapped on my way into work today. tow truck on the way.

I've found that the motorcycle community is more likely to stop when you aren't in the city. 30+ bikes have gone by and only one stopped to see if I was okay.

There goes another one.

There is the chain.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #2138
team taz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
this saturday ride to crown king

Big bike friendly loop from phx. to crown king and back. About 175 miles of pavement, and about 70 miles of forest service roads . Can easily make it longer or shorter, easier or harder depending on what guys feel like. I plan on riding my Ktm 990. Meet at the waffle house on I-17 and bell rd. at 7:30 a.m. this Saturday. We'll be going up to about 7500 ft. elevation. We can eat lunch and get gas at crown king. Call me for more details and a head count, Bob @ 602-717-0808

Cheers!

team taz screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 03:15 PM
team taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #2139
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by team taz View Post
Big bike friendly loop from phx. to crown king an back. About 175 miles of pavement, and about 70 miles of forest service roads . Can easily make it longer or shorter, easier or harder depending on what guys feel like. I plan on riding my Ktm 990. Meet at the waffle house on I-17 and bell rd. at 7:30 a.m. this Saturday. We'll be going up to about 7500 ft. elevation. We can eat lunch and get gas at crown king. Call me for more details and a head count, Bob @ 602-717-0808

Cheers!

Bob,

If it was not for my wiring problems I would definitely join you on this.

Have a great ride

Bill
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #2140
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Chain snapped on my way into work today.
I've found that the motorcycle community is more likely to stop when you aren't in the city. 30+ bikes have gone by and only one stopped to see if I was okay.
Dam dude that sucks! I commuted 60 miles per day from 1989 -1993. It got pretty stupid even back then and I was riding to what was then a desolate Higley and Hunt Highway. I gotta say riding on those freeways takes a lot of balls. I gotta wonder how many of the guys that passed you were just so focused that they didn't see you until it was too late to get over. In any case good luck getting her back on the road. -Paul
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #2141
CrownRoyal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
How many miles were on that chain? Im just wondering since ive never had one snap before.
"Hold my whiskey and watch this"
CrownRoyalADV.wordpress.com
CrownRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #2142
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Dam dude that sucks! I commuted 60 miles per day from 1989 -1993. It got pretty stupid even back then and I was riding to what was then a desolate Higley and Hunt Highway. I gotta say riding on those freeways takes a lot of balls. I gotta wonder how many of the guys that passed you were just so focused that they didn't see you until it was too late to get over. In any case good luck getting her back on the road. -Paul
Yeah I can say I'm guilty of driving by a few "because it was to late", but I have stopped and picked up a guy that had the same problem as I did once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal View Post
How many miles were on that chain? Im just wondering since ive never had one snap before.
It's only got about 11,000 miles on it. I have to say it was largely my fault. The chain was starting to stretch a little and I just hadn't taken the time to adjust it. It tried to wrap itself up around my counter sprocket and that's when the master link came apart. I was really lucky that it didn't crack my case. I was looking at the chain at my house and it still looks like it has a lot of life in it. I tried putting it back on with a new master link, but the link was binding and not rotating well at all. Maybe the adjoining link was bent and I didn't notice? Anyways, I ended up buying a new chain and bought a chain breaker because I was going to have to cut it to length. Well, I had never done this before and i ended up messing the chain up because I didn't realize you had to grind the pins out before you tried to push them out. Long story short, I have two master links now and I'm going to try and piece my chain back together because it's too short to put back on the bike given that I bent the links up at the length it's supposed to be at. Very frustrating day yesterday to say the least.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #2143
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Anyways, I ended up buying a new chain and bought a chain breaker because I was going to have to cut it to length. Well, I had never done this before and i ended up messing the chain up because I didn't realize you had to grind the pins out before you tried to push them out. Long story short, I have two master links now and I'm going to try and piece my chain back together because it's too short to put back on the bike given that I bent the links up at the length it's supposed to be at. Very frustrating day yesterday to say the least.
That's the purpose of the "Chain Breaker", so you don't have to grind down the pins to remove the link. When you are on the trail, you don't have a grinder with you, do ya? What brand of chain breaker was it? I use the motion pro and it took a few practice try's for me to figure out how to use it properly.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #2144
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Just FYI, Parts Unlimited has a chain for right around $20 in the correct amount of links for the KLR. They are no o-ring standard chain with a tensile strength just a touch above the one from the factory. At $20 IMHO it is easy to lube the thing every couple of days on the street and every off road trip. ATF works fine as well with a paint brush. My last one went 15k before it got so that I had to adjust it often. All of the local places order through them or you can go online. Either way I have friends that have paid $100 for a chain and have in some cases had less miles on them before they went south. At $20 buy 2 or 3 and have spares.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #2145
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
That's the purpose of the "Chain Breaker", so you don't have to grind down the pins to remove the link. When you are on the trail, you don't have a grinder with you, do ya? What brand of chain breaker was it? I use the motion pro and it took a few practice try's for me to figure out how to use it properly.
I think it is a bike master. I bought it from ride now. When I tried breaking the chain without grinding the pins, it just bent the links as the pin wouldn't release on the far side. Now I have a bent link that won't compress back to normal so that I can put the master link back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Just FYI, Parts Unlimited has a chain for right around $20 in the correct amount of links for the KLR. They are no o-ring standard chain with a tensile strength just a touch above the one from the factory. At $20 IMHO it is easy to lube the thing every couple of days on the street and every off road trip. ATF works fine as well with a paint brush. My last one went 15k before it got so that I had to adjust it often. All of the local places order through them or you can go online. Either way I have friends that have paid $100 for a chain and have in some cases had less miles on them before they went south. At $20 buy 2 or 3 and have spares.
Wow! I'm going to look into that for sure. I think ride now charged me somewhere in the $80 range for the chain I just bought.