ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #2251
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Question for all you dirt bike riders with plated dirt bikes:

What's the funky sticker called that you have to get to use your plated/licensed dirt bike off road? Not the Tonto or other forest passes... something AZ specific.

(That sticker bugs the shyt out of me... I don't have to have it on my truck to go on forest roads, but I'm supposed to have it on my XR600 to use the same roads even though the XR is plated? FYYFF!)

That sticker isn't necessary for a truly street bike, if you wanted to take a cruiser back behind Four Peaks or Roosevelt Lake for instance. Right?

If "street" vehicles such as a truck or jeep, and "street" bikes are exempt from the requirements of the trail use tag, where do bikes like the Tiger 800, KTM 9x0, BMW 1200GS, or Yamaha S10 fall in the requirements range pertaining to that tag?
It's an "OHV" sticker that cost $25. If it "bugs the shit out of you" then don't get it and stay on the streets.

I am surprised that so little bugs people...........
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #2252
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
1. An OHV designed by the manufacturer primarily for travel over unimproved terrain.
2. An OHV with an unladen weight of eighteen hundred pounds or less.
So none of the bikes approaching liter class qualify for this since they aren't designed "primarily" for travel over unimproved terrain?

Quote:
It's an "OHV" sticker that cost $25. If it "bugs the shit out of you" then don't get it and stay on the streets.

I am surprised that so little bugs people..........
I'm getting extremely resentful of all the "permission slips" a person has to have in AZ to go and use public land. You can pay hundreds of dollars a year to satisfy all of them and each one is documented obscurely and you only find out about it at whatever trailhead you head out to.
WantToRideMoar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #2253
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 27,506
Quote:

I'm getting extremely resentful of all the "permission slips" a person has to have in AZ to go and use public land. You can pay hundreds of dollars a year to satisfy all of them and each one is documented obscurely and you only find out about it at whatever trailhead you head out to.

Never mind that when you designate your vehicle accordingly your registration goes down, hence you actually pay less overall per year due to this program. But don't let that fact get in the way of your indignation.

Speaking to Jeff on Saturday he was telling us about some single track trails which they were going to be working on to link a few trails down in Tucson for all of us to enjoy. This and other things are what your measly 25 bucks are going toward.

Jeff should chime in here. He's good people and can tell you the extent of where this program better than anyone.

Sorry if it sounds like we're attacking you but you should really get all the details before dismissing the intent.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862405
Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #2254
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post

Never mind that when you designate your vehicle accordingly your registration goes down, hence you actually pay less overall per year due to this program. But don't let that fact get in the way of your indignation.

Speaking to Jeff on Saturday he was telling us about some single track trails which they were going to be working on to link a few trails down in Tucson for all of us to enjoy. This and other things are what your measly 25 bucks are going toward.

Jeff should chime in here. He's good people and can tell you the extent of where this program better than anyone.

Sorry if it sounds like we're attacking you but you should really get all the details before dismissing the intent.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862405
K, fine, I'll deal with it on my XR.

Still no answer on bikes like the 800XC or KTM 9x0 though.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #2255
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
How do you like that Honda? Would you take it on a Toroweap trip? Do you think it could handle the Toroweap trip?
The little Honda handles great, for Torroweep I'd definitely put on a set of TKC80s (they come in the 17 inch size that the bike needs) also I'd have to put on a skid plate to protect the oil sump and filter for the last mile or two that goes to the "look out" and camping area.

The seat is very hard so for a longer ride you'd have to get a "butt saver" of some sort. I've put on the SW-Motech crash bars and a GIVI touring screen that both work great. The screen does tend to intrude at full steering lock though but for riding it's not a problem, only when manouvering the bike around in the garage and getting out of parking spots.

The gas mileage on the bike is awesome and Laura usually gets around 70 miles to a gallon of gas which gives her 280 mile range.
The power is very mild and controllable and all the controls seem to be exactly placed and feel very familiar from the moment you swing a leg over the bike for the first time which was important for me because it is Laura's first bike and with contracting and the little time we had at home when we bought it, it was important that there was no "get used to it" time and she could just swing a leg over and go.

All in all it's a great bike, but if you jump from a DR or an XR you may be dissapointed as it doesn't have oodles and oodles of power. There is however enough to get you cruising at highway speeds all day with out ever skipping a beat or thrashing the hell out of the bike to get there.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #2256
refokus
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
she could just swing a leg over and go.
I like that...............
Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #2257
MrGoldfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Nice! Thanks for the review. This is a bike I have considered in place of the KLR. A few extra horsepower, better gas mileage and fuel injection are a few of the perks to this one. I've heard people down play it though because of the low revs and scooter trunk up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
The little Honda handles great, for Torroweep I'd definitely put on a set of TKC80s (they come in the 17 inch size that the bike needs) also I'd have to put on a skid plate to protect the oil sump and filter for the last mile or two that goes to the "look out" and camping area.

The seat is very hard so for a longer ride you'd have to get a "butt saver" of some sort. I've put on the SW-Motech crash bars and a GIVI touring screen that both work great. The screen does tend to intrude at full steering lock though but for riding it's not a problem, only when manouvering the bike around in the garage and getting out of parking spots.

The gas mileage on the bike is awesome and Laura usually gets around 70 miles to a gallon of gas which gives her 280 mile range.
The power is very mild and controllable and all the controls seem to be exactly placed and feel very familiar from the moment you swing a leg over the bike for the first time which was important for me because it is Laura's first bike and with contracting and the little time we had at home when we bought it, it was important that there was no "get used to it" time and she could just swing a leg over and go.

All in all it's a great bike, but if you jump from a DR or an XR you may be dissapointed as it doesn't have oodles and oodles of power. There is however enough to get you cruising at highway speeds all day with out ever skipping a beat or thrashing the hell out of the bike to get there.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #2258
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstateParksOHV View Post
...The smart monkey would have bought an OHV decal + street registration for just under $30 total...
Ok, I need to get my 530 plated and want to save the bucks as described above....do I get the OHV decal first then get the reduced VLT with waived Registration fee?
I'm not clear on how to make this happen....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #2259
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Tonto pass.
Sedona pass.
OHV tag.
State Trust use permit.

The more I look around and explore, the more I realize that I have to buy yet another slip of paper to have permission to ride on what is public land.

There's probably many more that I don't yet know about, and frankly the most affronting part of it is the segmented permissions system to be "allowed" onto public land. You can pay more for public land access than many people pay in 4-wheeled vehicle registration per year. And get a lot less return for your dollar.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #2260
refokus
Just Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Ok, I need to get my 530 plated and want to save the bucks as described above....do I get the OHV decal first then get the reduced VLT with waived Registration fee?
I'm not clear on how to make this happen....
When you go to register the 530 you will want to let them know that it is primarily used off road. You will pay the $25 fee and then the yearly registration is like $3.50. This is what I pay for my 450.

When I registered my 800 it was the same............
Old 11-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #2261
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
When you go to register the 530 you will want to let them know that it is primarily used off road. You will pay the $25 fee and then the yearly registration is like $3.50. This is what I pay for my 450.

When I registered my 800 it was the same............
Next time you see a ranger out on the trail you be sure and let them know how angry you are to be paying less.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #2262
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Tonto pass.
Sedona pass.
OHV tag.
State Trust use permit.
You only need Tonto and Red Rocks passes if park in developed areas. That means if there is a bathroom, you need to pay to park. Otherwise you're OK.

Access to state trust land is open to anyone actively hunting. So if you have a hunting license, hunt coyotes or rabbits. Season is open all year.

The OHV tag saves me more than $100 on my 950SE license and the money goes to a good cause. At least until the dwarves steal it for some other purpose (like they did the lottery money).

Of course I am not a lawyer or politician so YMMV and if I'm wrong I will deny all knowledge of this discourse.

When in doubt, run like hell.

-dod
Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #2263
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post

When in doubt, run like hell.

-dod
I'm glad I didn't have to say it.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #2264
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Next time you see a ranger out on the trail you be sure and let them know how angry you are to be paying less.

Cyberdos, that's not my gripe.

It's more along the lines of this concept, fleshed out perfectly in Atlas Shrugged to its most horrible conclusion but present in insidious ways in most of government today:

Quote:
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kinds of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of lawbreakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.
If it costs $X to enforce property security through policing of extremely remote areas related to OHV use, and to provide primitive road maintenance of those locations, then divide $X by the number of users likely to use the facilities and that is your fee.

The way it is right now, a person thinks that OHV tag is enough to go anywhere. Then you realize you also need a State Trust permit, or else you're breaking the law and at the subjective mercy of enforcers. Then you realize you need a Tonto permit. Then you realize you need a Bulldog Canyon permit. Then you realize you need a RedRock permit. And the list goes on.

All it does is empower enforcement at the expense of the individual.

If the HONEST cost of operating a dirt bike off-road were presented to be $50 a year, fine, I'll pay it. And I'd lobby to cut services associated with that $50 so that I saw fewer rangers and saw less blacktop leading out to the trails, requiring next year to only be $40, and so on.

But right now the cost is not honest at all. And it is enforcement-biased, where a person is essentially incapable of complying without extensive obscure knowledge that is only gained through experience.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #2265
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Atlas Shrugged.

I should have known.

Stop reading crap.