ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #2416
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
What model??? They now have several...Hero3White, Hero3silver, Hero3+Silver, Hero3black. Confusing for this old farm-boy
I was thinking of asking for the hero 3+ Silver a prosumer (not misspelled) grade camera and ordering a remote. The Hero3Black is listed as a professional grade (more buttons & options to confuse me) but has the remote included in the package.
I got this one almost 4 years ago and I am so happy with it. Very easy to use...

http://store.contour.com/ae/us/camer...oducts,cameras
Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2417
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Really, you like yours Eddy? I've got a Contour and I'm not too thrilled with it. It needs image stabilization or something. I watch other peoples videos and they are smooth as can be. Mine is anything but smooth. It's mounted to the top of my helmet and I know my heads not bouncing around as much as the video does.

Almost stopped by to see you today but had another errand that couldn't wait.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #2418
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Really, you like yours Eddy?
It vibrates sometimes but rarely. Overall I like it, it's simple to use.
Quote:
Almost stopped by to see you today but had another errand that couldn't wait
Go ahead stop any time u like and have a cold drink , I am here till 830pm every day. We'll discuss future rides ...
Old 11-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #2419
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Val Vista and US-60.
Hmm. We're really running out of available space to do that sort of thing unless you really get out of the valley. (I'm bracing myself for a 750Volt rant there ) There used to be an empty lot on Val Vista and Pecos but they just started building there. You could go out to the south entrance of Bulldog Canyon but that's still 18 miles away from you.

I used to live out by Elsworth between Elliot and Guadalupe and there are some nice spots running along the powerlines that you could go out and practice. That area is also starting to be developed so I don;t know if it's still open. Worth a shot as it is only 9 miles away.

You may want to PM fanatic291. he found a super duper secret hideaway kiddie spot near his place. But the more we use those sorts of spots the more "they" close em up. So thread lightly. :)

Good Luck. I used to do a lot of parking lot practice days with some of my street riding buddies back in NY. It was actually a lot of fun and we'd always go for a ride after the drills.

Hmmm....
Old 11-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #2420
cyberdos
True Story Bro

I had a countour and it sucks big donkey balls compared to the gopro.

sorry Eddy. Just my .02
Old 11-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #2421
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 526
PM me. I would be willing to show you my spot and try to break my phoebias too.

Aaron
fanatic291 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #2422
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
PM me. I would be willing to show you my spot and try to break my phoebias too.

Aaron
Can I join?
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #2423
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 526
Let's do a Bulldog canyon day where we find a section that we want to work on and the hit it a couple times. Noobs unite. I know I want to go up and down that steep hill a few times. It really psyches me out.
fanatic291 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #2424
cyberdos
True Story Bro

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246657

I had a copy somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #2425
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
Bluhduh Trouble shooting the YZ

After the Montana Mt ride went to pot for my little YZ this weekend. I had to abandon her in the bushes

When all was said and done IBriding and I went back to do the recovery and get her home.

After putting off all thoughts of the bike for a few days, because every time I'd go near the little ringer my poor wallet would start cringing and I'd back off. I finally bit the bullet today and started tearing her apart to try find the problem.

I think I see the problem!!

Yup! That'll do it

1 x split piston ring and a piston that's beat to s#!t by a piece of the ring that came off and tore up the side on it's way out the exhaust. I'm just glad it didn't damage the cylinder or head in the process

New clutch cable, piston, ring, big end bearing and gasket get here tomorrow so hopefully I'll have her running good as new by the weekend
Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #2426
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Even though I'm thinking about getting one I really haven't gotten serious enough about it to look into what model.

But I asked someone who has the other day and he sent me these links:

I haven't read them them yet.

Hell I understood about 25% of what they were talking about. So the simpler model the better for me.
I do think the remote would be handy but otherwise I would use it mostly for still captures. Not into video at this time but likely someday.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #2427
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Hell I understood about 25% of what they were talking about. So the simpler model the better for me.
I do think the remote would be handy but otherwise I would use it mostly for still captures. Not into video at this time but likely someday.
For stills any model will do. The great thing about the gopro is its wide angle lens. Just point that sucker out and it usually gets a good chunk of what you're riding. With other cams that I've used you really have to point the lens directly at what you want to capture.

all the gopros have still image capture that you can just leave on and it will take a photo every so many seconds. That's cool just to be able to ride and not worry about it.

However, the images are not as good as a simple cheap point and shoot. If you just want it for pictures and don't care for the self capture feature then I suggest you just get a tough digital point and shoot camera.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #2428
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
For stills any model will do. The great thing about the gopro is its wide angle lens. Just point that sucker out and it usually gets a good chunk of what you're riding. With other cams that I've used you really have to point the lens directly at what you want to capture.

all the gopros have still image capture that you can just leave on and it will take a photo every so many seconds. That's cool just to be able to ride and not worry about it.

However, the images are not as good as a simple cheap point and shoot. If you just want it for pictures and don't care for the self capture feature then I suggest you just get a tough digital point and shoot camera.
If I could get a good mounting system and a remote for one of my Elf cameras I would use that. However I want to take stills like the GoPro every so many seconds. Why is the resolution less. It is a 11 or 12mp camera. Also like the wide lens, as you say you don't really have to point it.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #2429
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
...Why is the resolution less. ...
Technically I can't answer that question. I really don't know. But the quality of my 5 year old p&s outputs this:

and that's only at 5mp (shoots up to 10mp) setting. More megapixels just means that you can make the image larger without losing its integrity. It doesn't necessarily translate a better image quality. I'm sure the pros here can expand on this and explain much better than I can.

Plenty of articles out there like this one that explain it:

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com...photo-quality/
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #2430
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 570
Brian,

Holly cow no wonder that thing wouldn't stay running

Later
BIll
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote