ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #2611
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast
 
Reidy008's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Peoria, AZ
Oddometer: 2,306
Hey now

Why didn't you get your ass up to go ride with us on Nightstalkers ride today??
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #2612
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 27,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Why didn't you get your ass up to go ride with us on Nightstalkers ride today??
Because I wasn't supposed to be riding today. And you guys were hiking. Eff that.
__________________
fingerdoodle
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #2613
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,268
Did Cherry Creek today

I spent too long flirting with the girls at Starbucks in Globe and didn't leave until around 11AM, big mistake. I found the start of 203 (Cherry Creek) ok, it's about 5 miles from where you turn off 188 onto 288. The only thing I knew about this ride was from the excellent report Jo did a few pages back. I set the odometer, the first 22 miles were easy, big bike friendly. Then I seen a faded sign that said "Road not recommended for public". I began a long, steep, rocky climb. I made it to the top ok but the road was challenging for the remaining 21 miles. It was a total of 43 miles long and took me over 4 hours to get through. Here's a cabin at the 20 mile mark.



The scenery was breathtaking. I really wanted to take a picture of how rough the road was but I had my hands full if you know what I mean.



I hit some snow and ice in the shady spots. I got back onto 288 on the ridge that overlooks Young. This is the end of my Cherry Creek ride, I'm about 5 miles from town.



On the way back to Globe I seen something cool. I could see a bunch of small animals in the road. Their were about 17-18 of them. There tails were straight up and they were as big as a cat. I had no idea what they were, they actually looked like a bunch of monkeys walking down the road. They turned out to be Miners cats or Ringtail Cats. Cool, I had never seen anything like it before. I than seen a deserted cabin and decided to explore.



I started at 2,000 ft and the top end was 6,200 ft. I got home at 7:30PM. I have more pictures but I haven't switched them over from my IPhone yet. Don't ride this alone, get started early, be prepared and don't do what I do.
__________________
"Piss-poor planning leads to great adventures"

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #2614
agavelvr
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Sonoran Desert
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
On the way back to Globe I seen something cool. I could see a bunch of small animals in the road. Their were about 17-18 of them. There tails were straight up and they were as big as a cat. I had no idea what they were, they actually looked like a bunch of monkeys walking down the road. They turned out to be Miners cats or Ringtail Cats. Cool, I had never seen anything like it before. I than seen a deserted cabin and decided to explore.
Sounds like you ran into a band of coatis, sometimes referred to as coatimundi.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...20100427wc.JPG

agavelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #2615
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by agavelvr View Post
Sounds like you ran into a band of coatis, sometimes referred to as coatimundi.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...20100427wc.JPG

Wow, news to me, I'd never seen anything like that before. The only thing I could think of was a minors cat, you have those here too right?
__________________
"Piss-poor planning leads to great adventures"

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #2616
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,478
Yes. It was either a coatimundi or a ringtail.
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #2617
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,632
WR250R For Sale

A friend has asked me to help him sell his 2012 WR250R (with billet rack, skid plate, and handguards). It's in great condition with 2100 miles. I think it's only been dropped once, but that once resulted in a badly broken ankle of the brittle old man. He is now in plaster and will be for a while. His dirt riding days are over.
The tricky part is that his title is in Oregon and he won't be able to retrieve it until April. I don't know if there is a good work around for that in AZ. If any one here knows, or is interested in the bike send me a PM.
The price is $4500 and located in Florence.
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #2618
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
A friend has asked me to help him sell his 2012 WR250R (with billet rack, skid plate, and handguards). It's in great condition with 2100 miles. I think it's only been dropped once, but that once resulted in a badly broken ankle of the brittle old man. He is now in plaster and will be for a while. His dirt riding days are over.
The tricky part is that his title is in Oregon and he won't be able to retrieve it until April. I don't know if there is a good work around for that in AZ. If any one here knows, or is interested in the bike send me a PM.
The price is $4500 and located in Florence.
I just bought a bike from Oregon, you will have no problem. It sounds like the owner is legit. Go for it, that's a fair price. ALL WR250R's have been dropped.
__________________
"Piss-poor planning leads to great adventures"

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #2619
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I just bought a bike from Oregon, you will have no problem. It sounds like the owner is legit. Go for it, that's a fair price. ALL WR250R's have been dropped.
The owner is a friend of mine, and is legit. But I'm not the buyer, I've just offered to show the bike for him since he is laid up.
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #2620
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 27,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
....

I started at 2,000 ft and the top end was 6,200 ft. I got home at 7:30PM. I have more pictures but I haven't switched them over from my IPhone yet. Don't ride this alone, get started early, be prepared and don't do what I do.
This is why we (Aaron and I) have set out to ride Cherry Creek twice already and haven't made it.

Cherry creek is a cool ride if you stay on the main road but if you take the added "bonus loop" you better bring a rope.



Don just shivered.
__________________
fingerdoodle
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #2621
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,478
yes, I did! that hill was about at the limit of what I want to try!
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #2622
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
This is why we (Aaron and I) have set out to ride Cherry Creek twice already and haven't made it.

Cherry creek is a cool ride if you stay on the main road but if you take the added "bonus loop" you better bring a rope.

Don just shivered.
When I'm alone I tend to be carful. If I had been with a few guys I'd be up for anything. The last half of Cherry Creek was about right for this solo rider.
__________________
"Piss-poor planning leads to great adventures"

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #2623
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer
 
XB12R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Zillah WA, The Dalles OR
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
Ron,

Very cool and thanks for posting, I will have to definitely check that out some time.

Bill
Just got the film developed.

__________________
"Piss-poor planning leads to great adventures"

2010 BMW R1200GS, 2010 Ducati Monster 1100S, 2013 KTM 690 Enduro, 1985 Beta TR32, 1968 BSA 441 Victor Special
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #2624
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,478
You can ride the old 60, but only from superior to just the other side of the tunnel. Maybe it picks up again later?
__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #2625
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop
 
cyberdos's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Oddometer: 27,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Just got the film developed.

*like.

A scouting trip is in order.
__________________
fingerdoodle
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015