ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #2731
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 598
Christmas Wishes

I would like to wish everyone very merry Christmas.

I don't think I have gone this long without a ride since I got the DR and I am going through withdrawal. Kinda of thinking of a nice easy Cochran ride Saturday the 4'th if anyone is interested or if anyone as a ride they would rather do please chime in.

Take Care
Bill
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #2732
azgsgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
From Winkleman take 177 north a few miles to Kearny. At the railroad crossing hang a left onto Florance kearnny Hwy. Nice graded road into florance
It's officially called the Florence-Kelvin Hwy., and it's a super nice road. Go in where NomorBills said, and then it's about 30 miles to where it comes out on the 79. The last 10 or so miles before you hit the 79 are actually paved, but it is a rural road. Take a right on 79, and go a couple of miles into Florence.

Have fun!

- Jo
Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #2733
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
I would like to wish everyone very merry Christmas.

I don't think I have gone this long without a ride since I got the DR and I am going through withdrawal. Kinda of thinking of a nice easy Cochran ride Saturday the 4'th if anyone is interested or if anyone as a ride they would rather do please chime in.

Take Care
Bill
I'm up for a ride. I have no idea where Cochran is. I read where Azgsgirl took the Cherry Heights road up near Young, I can't find her ride report now but I'd like to do that and than Four Peaks before I leave. I'm gonna try to cram in Death Valley on the way home.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #2734
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsgirl View Post
It's officially called the Florence-Kelvin Hwy., and it's a super nice road. Go in where NomorBills said, and then it's about 30 miles to where it comes out on the 79. The last 10 or so miles before you hit the 79 are actually paved, but it is a rural road. Take a right on 79, and go a couple of miles into Florence.

Have fun!

- Jo
Thanks .... I've got it all laid out and I should have a nice 350-mile day of riding dirt and secondary roads from Sierra Vista to Wickenburg. Should make for a great first day of what I hope will be a few weeks on the road riding Death Valley, Baja, and maybe more ....

I should be rolling through there on Monday 1/13 if any of you fine folks would like to join me for any part of the days ride.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #2735
azgsgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I'm up for a ride. I have no idea where Cochran is. I read where Azgsgirl took the Cherry Heights road up near Young, I can't find her ride report now but I'd like to do that and than Four Peaks before I leave. I'm gonna try to cram in Death Valley on the way home.
Ron, I replied to your PM, but just in case, here is the link to the Cherry Creek Rd. story:

http://azgsgirl.wordpress.com/2013/1...erry-creek-rd/

Cochran is somewhere between the Florence-Kelvin Hwy. and Florence. I have not been down that road yet, but I have seen it, it is off F-K. I do want to explore it sometime soon, before it gets hot again!

- Jo
Old 12-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #2736
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsgirl View Post
Ron, I replied to your PM, but just in case, here is the link to the Cherry Creek Rd. story:

http://azgsgirl.wordpress.com/2013/1...erry-creek-rd/

Cochran is somewhere between the Florence-Kelvin Hwy. and Florence. I have not been down that road yet, but I have seen it, it is off F-K. I do want to explore it sometime soon, before it gets hot again!

- Jo
Head east on Florence Kelvin, then turn left on,oddly enough, Cochran Rd, there's a sign. Lots to explore, way too many kwads on the weekends.

lamotovita screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 07:14 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2737
azgsgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Head east on Florence Kelvin, then turn left on,oddly enough, Cochran Rd, there's a sign. Lots to explore, way too many kwads on the weekends.
I know, that did sound kind of dumb of me. I just haven't been down Cochran Rd. yet. It sounds like a great place to explore. I was talking about Cochran, the ghost town, and that is what I don't know exactly where it is. :-) It will be another place for me to find now that I have a decent bike to ride there.

- Jo

azgsgirl screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 11:54 AM
azgsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #2738
NEfarmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I would be in for Sat ride, I have a new to me DRZ400 so don't have to kick start the old XL350..
NEfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #2739
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Wow,

I really like to have Christmas at my house but having 20 plus people over really makes the place seem small.

How does this sound for Saturday? We can meet at the Queen Creek Café at 8:00 for people wanting to eat or 9:00 if you would like to sleep in a little. We can also meet at the Chevron at Florence at 10:00 for our south anyone coming up from the south.

As azgsgirl (who I hope joins us) mentioned we will Florence Kelvin Highway to Cochran road. Once at Cochran we can explore the area a little and maybe hit the coke ovens if the Gila is not flowing.

The way to Cochran is really easy and big bike friendly. It does get a little sandy right before you get to Cochran but it's not too bad.

Once we a ready to return we can either head back to Florence or head to Kearny, we can decide what to do then.

See everyone Saturday!!!

Bill
Old 12-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #2740
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow,

I really like to have Christmas at my house but having 20 plus people over really makes the place seem small.

How does this sound for Saturday? We can meet at the Queen Creek Café at 8:00 for people wanting to eat or 9:00 if you would like to sleep in a little. We can also meet at the Chevron at Florence at 10:00 for our south anyone coming up from the south.

As azgsgirl (who I hope joins us) mentioned we will Florence Kelvin Highway to Cochran road. Once at Cochran we can explore the area a little and maybe hit the coke ovens if the Gila is not flowing.

The way to Cochran is really easy and big bike friendly. It does get a little sandy right before you get to Cochran but it's not too bad.

Once we a ready to return we can either head back to Florence or head to Kearny, we can decide what to do then.

See everyone Saturday!!!

Bill
I googled Cochran and found plenty of pictures of the coke ovens but nothing about the ghost town of Cochran. Is there any reminisce of the town? I'd love to explore it.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #2741
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I googled Cochran and found plenty of pictures of the coke ovens but nothing about the ghost town of Cochran. Is there any reminisce of the town? I'd love to explore it.

There really isn't anything left of the town except for a few foundations slabs but for some reason I really enjoy the ride there.

It will be great to see ya again

Bill
Old 12-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #2742
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There really isn't anything left of the town except for a few foundations slabs but for some reason I really enjoy the ride there.

It will be great to see ya again

Bill
So, your telling me there's no Starbucks?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #2743
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Rear Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
That is this Saturday? 12/28?
I am down but I will be riding slow. I have about 12k miles on my back tire.
I ordered parts almost 3 weeks ago and they are still saying I should have them by Friday Dec 20th.
Paul

I have a brand new Shinko Trailmaster 4.60-17

I can drop it off on the way to work tomorrow if you want it.

Bill
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #2744
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oh Yea,

This Sat, 12/28

Bill
Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #2745
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Thanks Bill. I will be fine for one more ride. What the hell i have been riding this long with no rear traction what's one more ride.
Besides if I fall down at least I have an excuse.

There should be a poll on how many miles you will wind up on that tire