ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #3091
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Cyberdos can teach you about that too!
That class is AP.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #3092
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
That class is AP.

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #3093
team taz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Sure, we can pull off and look for bikes around Florence Junction around 8:30 or so. There's a dirt lot on the SE corner of 79/60, where the on-ramp to eastbound 60 is. Meet there?

Hike is maybe 1.5 miles in, 1.5 out. I don't know the rate of climb, I've never been back there before. It is called "Devil's Chasm" though so I imagine it ain't perfectly flat. Those old Salado indians liked to put their cliff dwellings pretty high up the canyons.
How about one more. See you at the Florence junction at 8:30.
team taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #3094
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
I'm headed out Saturday... XR is in pieces, waiting on parts for maintenance so I'm riding my 800XC (very gingerly! still has that new-seat-smell!) out north of Roosevelt Lake and up Cherry Creek Road up towards Devil's Chasm. Idea is a ride-hike-ride... hike up to the indian ruins, relax and eat lunch along one of the creek beds, come back well before sundown.

Route will be out 60 to Superior and Globe, then 188/288 to Cherry Creek Road.

If anyone wants to join me you can meet up with me at the McDonalds at Greenfield and Southern just north of US-60 around 7:30AM. Kickstands up at 8.
I might join you guys.

How about taking the Apache Trail to tortilla Flats and then the rest of the way to Roosevelt and then hook up to 288
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #3095
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
I might join you guys.

How about taking the Apache Trail to tortilla Flats and then the rest of the way to Roosevelt and then hook up to 288
'Cuz I'm a pussy with a new bike.

And I already agreed to meet up with two guys at FloJo.

You can take the AT to Flats and on through, and meet up with us at 188/288 if you'd like. I'm guessing we'll be at 188/288 somewhere around 9:00 or 9:15? Not sure, really.

I've been through AT a couple times to Roosevelt lake and I've lost front tire traction on a downhill turn through there on my old XR (actually it was Four Peaks, but same difference). Granted, on further investigation at home it turns out my rear brake didn't work worth a shit because I had a giant air bubble in the rear line... but you get the drift. I don't have engine guards or fancy knobby tires on the Tiger yet... once bitten, twice shy, all that jazz.

From what I can tell on Google maps, Cherry Creek Road is pretty straight and not terrible with elevation changes or anything. I'm hoping this will be a good environment to learn how my new bike handles on dirt without getting into a situation I may be regretful over later.

Come on out and join us though! Either on your own through AT to 188/288, or at McD's on Greenfield, or at 60/79.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #3096
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

You can take the AT to Flats and on through, and meet up with us at 188/288 if you'd like. I'm guessing we'll be at 188/288 somewhere around 9:00 or 9:15? Not sure, really.

I've been through AT a couple times to Roosevelt lake and I've lost front tire traction on a downhill turn through there on my old XR (actually it was Four Peaks, but same difference). Granted, on further investigation at home it turns out my rear brake didn't work worth a shit because I had a giant air bubble in the rear line... but you get the drift. I don't have engine guards or fancy knobby tires on the Tiger yet... once bitten, twice shy, all that jazz.

From what I can tell on Google maps, Cherry Creek Road is pretty straight and not terrible with elevation changes or anything. I'm hoping this will be a good environment to learn how my new bike handles on dirt without getting into a situation I may be regretful over later.

Come on out and join us though! Either on your own through AT to 188/288, or at McD's on Greenfield, or at 60/79.

I totally understand,.. I'll look for you guys out there at 88/288 around 9am. I'll be on a black KTM 990.
www.rockstarsmc.com
Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #3097
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,008
Cherry Creek

I am not sure if you are actually going up Cherry Creek to Young or just stopping at the ruins but I am pretty sure that its alot rougher that Apache Trail or Four Peaks. If they seemed rough then Cherry Creek may not be the best place for your new bike...

Quote:

Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #3098
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I am not sure if you are actually going up Cherry Creek to Young or just stopping at the ruins but I am pretty sure that its alot rougher that Apache Trail or Four Peaks. If they seemed rough then Cherry Creek may not be the best place for your new bike...
I'll stop or turn back if it looks bad, but I've been up there in my truck about half way to the ruins (from 288 to Coon Creek) and it didn't look anything too terribly intimidating.

Not planning on going all the way to Young. Don't want to deal with snow, nor the switchbacks on the way up that road.

Engine guards are ordered, just won't be here for another week or so. Gotta be good until all the protective farkles are in place.

ETA: I'm confident I can ride Four Peaks or AT without incident on the Tiger... the diagnosis of the brake fluid really helps explain why I couldn't drift around that turn that dumped me. They're not challenging roads, you're right. It's just the association of that event with those locations. Tiger has proper fluids, life is good. Come next week, XR will be running again after some maintenance and upgrades and I'll want to push my envelope on it.

WantToRideMoar screwed with this post 01-24-2014 at 08:53 PM
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #3099
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
I'll stop or turn back if it looks bad, but I've been up there in my truck about half way to the ruins (from 288 to Coon Creek) and it didn't look anything too terribly intimidating.

Not planning on going all the way to Young. Don't want to deal with snow, nor the switchbacks on the way up that road.

Engine guards are ordered, just won't be here for another week or so. Gotta be good until all the protective farkles are in place.

ETA: I'm confident I can ride Four Peaks or AT without incident on the Tiger... the diagnosis of the brake fluid really helps explain why I couldn't drift around that turn that dumped me. They're not challenging roads, you're right. It's just the association of that event with those locations. Tiger has proper fluids, life is good. Come next week, XR will be running again after some maintenance and upgrades and I'll want to push my envelope on it.
Cherry Creek is 43 miles long. First half is easy, like Apache Trail, second half is more challenging. I didn't use my bash plate but I'm damn glad I had one! I think the ruins is a couple miles past where it starts getting rough.

If it's easy it's no fun.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #3100
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

I'll do the ride but I probably won't go on the hike. I don't think I'd enjoy hiking in my mx boots. I'll probably spilt off from you guys at that time.
www.rockstarsmc.com
Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #3101
Dustyaz1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Xr650r valve adjustment

I have read all the forums on how to adjust valves but I am still second guessing myself. I have found top dead center and it seems like my valves need a lot of adjusting. Is there anyone that might be able to help me? I can trailer my bike to you or I am located on Elliot and alma school in chandler. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. I am just not too confident in my mechanical skills.

Dustyaz1 screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 09:34 AM
Dustyaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #3102
viper05
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
TDC is no good unless it is the compression stroke for the cylinder you are adjusting! I usually get a visual on the cam so I can see the heel of the cam on the bucket to set the lash. I would be glad to help but it has been a while since I did this and I am on the other side of the valley(north).
Good Luck.
06 Scrambler, 10 530XC-W
viper05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #3103
SouthWestRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyaz1 View Post
I have read all the forums on how to adjust valves but I am still second guessing myself. I have found top dead center and it seems like my valves need a lot of adjusting. Is there anyone that might be able to help me? I can trailer my bike to you or I am located on Elliot and alma school in chandler. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. I am just not too confident in my mechanical skills.
I may be able to help. I used to have an 01 piggy and live in southeast Chandler. Send me a PM with address and I can swing by this afternoon around 2:00.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #3104
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Great ride today...

New bikes being christened into the rocks and dirt!

Yamaha Super Tenere

Triumph XC800

Beautiful scenery...

Trail head to Devils Chasm...

www.rockstarsmc.com

EZ300 screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 03:33 PM
Old 01-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #3105
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,008
Turning around

Quote:

From the look of the pics you didn't turn around when it started to get to rough for you...
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote