ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #3166
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
$14 watered down margarita. Not even a cute barmaid. Trying a different place now.

-dod
I bet you will be glad when you can retire & leave that job & that hectic pace
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #3167
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Do you have any ideas on routes?
Okay... HERE is a quick route based off of your recommendations and a few roads that have caught my eye in the past.

A few notes would be, I've never been to Joshua Tree National Forest so I thought it would be cool to route through there instead of taking the I-10 AGAIN! I don't know if Joshua Tree is cool or not though.

I have always thought it would be cool to drive through the San Bernardino National Forest so I routed through that rather than driving through LA. I don't know if the weather will permit this in November though. So while we are North of LA, we might as well drive through the Angeles National Forest.

From there, the rest is basically your recommendation.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #3168
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Okay... HERE is a quick route based off of your recommendations and a few roads that have caught my eye in the past.

A few notes would be, I've never been to Joshua Tree National Forest so I thought it would be cool to route through there instead of taking the I-10 AGAIN! I don't know if Joshua Tree is cool or not though.

I have always thought it would be cool to drive through the San Bernardino National Forest so I routed through that rather than driving through LA. I don't know if the weather will permit this in November though. So while we are North of LA, we might as well drive through the Angeles National Forest.

From there, the rest is basically your recommendation.
Angeles Crest and Big Bear are fantastic. I just thought you were going to meet your wife in LA which is why I didn't recommend it. Big Bear may not be an option. It gets super cold and snows up there. Not as much on Angeles Crest but still get's cold as hell up there. If I had the option I'd definitely skip Joshua Tree for that. But if you can do them both that would be even better. Note though, you're not cutting much of the 10 (or the droning shitty ass AZ side of it anyway) by hitting Joshua Tree. There's really not too many good options of getting around the 10 unless you go off roading.

if the weather doesn't permit any of it I'd still try to at least hit up Glendora Mountain. Watch out for the looney squids if you ride it on the weekend.

the rest looks great to me. :)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #3169
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Angeles Crest and Big Bear are fantastic. I just thought you were going to meet your wife in LA which is why I didn't recommend it. Big Bear may not be an option. It gets super cold and snows up there. Not as much on Angeles Crest but still get's cold as hell up there. If I had the option I'd definitely skip Joshua Tree for that. But if you can do them both that would be even better. Note though, you're not cutting much of the 10 (or the droning shitty ass AZ side of it anyway) by hitting Joshua Tree. There's really not too many good options of getting around the 10 unless you go off roading.

if the weather doesn't permit any of it I'd still try to at least hit up Glendora Mountain. Watch out for the looney squids if you ride it on the weekend.

the rest looks great to me. :)
The coldest I've rode in is in the high 20's. It was doable and I wasn't bundled up as much as I could have. I figure, as long as there isn't ice/snow on the road and it's more than in the teens than I think I could do it. I would be willing to get the lady a heated vest or something to help her out if she needed it as well. I would probably get heated grips and/or gloves as well.

I'm thinking about trying to talk her into riding the whole way with me as I feel it would be so much easier. I just have to come up with a good sales pitch.

My next question would be, do I continue North up the coast, or do I turn east and find some wine country (the wife and I like to do that together) or maybe swing through Death Valley, or, or, or etc.

Maybe I get her to ride with me from the beginning and then send her home on a plane so that she doesn't have to do the super slab with me all the way home.

Sorry about the rant. Just ideas that are bouncing around in my head. Maybe I should start a thread in trip planning or read through the threads over there.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #3170
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

I get the same sort of excitement when I'm planning a ride too.

Having a heated vest will make life a lot better. I really love mine. I even put it on when it's not that cold out. Just to get that edge off. I have a few protruding discs in my spine from a moto accident a long time ago which makes things pretty unbearable when I ride in cold. Not an issue at all with the heated jacket. I think you both would benefit.

If you're going to be doing extended time in really cold temps I'd suggest hippo hands. They look dorky but work really nice.

You should probably create a separate thread and have the Cali peeps help you out on routes. They know much better than me. :)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #3171
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I get the same sort of excitement when I'm planning a ride too.

Having a heated vest will make life a lot better. I really love mine. I even put it on when it's not that cold out. Just to get that edge off. I have a few protruding discs in my spine from a moto accident a long time ago which makes things pretty unbearable when I ride in cold. Not an issue at all with the heated jacket. I think you both would benefit.

If you're going to be doing extended time in really cold temps I'd suggest hippo hands. They look dorky but work really nice.

You should probably create a separate thread and have the Cali peeps help you out on routes. They know much better than me. :)
I appreciate the input Cyberdos.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #3172
BobZader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Chain tightening in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZader View Post
Alright Reidy008 and Cyberdos. Then I'm only half crazy. I'll see if I can take it in to Zen Motorcycle for a look at the front wheel assembly. I trust myself even less around the breaks than I do to tighten my chain. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can get a 101 in 'this is your motorcycle' and 'it looks like you may want to think about this'. I've got a squeaky drum in the back too.
So...on Saturday I found out Zen Mesa is closed. Went up to Zen Scottsdale. Guy came out to do a visual, said he wasn't really into repairing older bikes but recommended that Steve's Motorcycle in Mesa would be a good bet to get the bike serviced. Said the Radian looked pretty good; said I did a nice job with the luggage rack and top case. Fork seals looked good but I needed to keep 'em clean with a passion. The rubbing noise I was hearing was normal (its the pads rubbing on the disk without tension), the rear drum squeak may be normal, as it is with some bikes (he said some BMWs are born with a drum squeak that does not respond to any kind of money you throw at it); pointed out that the tires were ok but just starting to show cracking at the tread. He pointed out that the hoses between the air intake and the carburetors were beginning to crack and I'd be wise to think about what I was going to do about them, but that the job would probably run me the cost of the bike at his shop. Then he said my chain was way too loose.

I finally decided to tighten the chain on my own, put her up on the center stand, loosened her up, messed with the adjusters for about an hour then put her back together...the chain was now too tight and I could hear her having to slide into the pockets between the teethe of the drive sprocket, I also suspected the drum break was now rubbing...lubed up the chain anyway and took her out for a 'round-the-block. The drop in between gears was gone...smooth ride, but I wasn't going to be riding her to work.

Put her back up tonight, and this time let the bike tell me where the sweet spots were likely to be. After I'd loosened the axil I let her into first to let the wheel find where it wanted to be in relation to the main drive sprocket, messed with the adjuster nuts, braked her a bit to help her true up to the drum, tweaked the adjuster nuts again, then...over tightened the axil nut...which caused the axil to walk forward unevenly.

That was a bitch to break loose. But once the nut was turning again, I tweaked the adjuster nuts one more time to walk back the side that had moved forward, locked down the axil (this time not too tight), dropped a cotter pin, fine tuned the break, and took her out to gas her up for the morning. She shifts smoother than she ever did, the chain sounds good on the sprockets, the drum is definitely not grabbing when its not supposed to (as the wheel spins nicely in gear with the clutch in), and the sag in the chain is within spec.

If I don't break this bike, I may just learn how to keep her healthy. I'm still taking her to Steve's...just not sure when I've got time in the schedule yet. By the way, those rubber carburetor joints w/ gaskets run about $50 to $100 on ebay for all 4, depending on the seller. Wonder what other rubber part are cracking.

BobZader screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 11:32 PM
BobZader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #3173
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
I'm going to head down to San Manuel on Saturday to spectate the AMRA race. Gonna take the 990 so I'm looking for some dirt road/trails to get there and back. I'll be leaving from Gilbert.

Can anyone suggest some good routes for me?
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #3174
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
I'm going to head down to San Manuel on Saturday to spectate the AMRA race. Gonna take the 990 so I'm looking for some dirt road/trails to get there and back. I'll be leaving from Gilbert.

Can anyone suggest some good routes for me?
Bread and Butter.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #3175
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,045
pretty nice route
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #3176
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:

Thanks, I'll definately use that as my base route. I might try to hook up from C to D without traveling on 77.
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #3177
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Thanks, I'll definately use that as my base route. I might try to hook up from C to D without traveling on 77.
That may be tough. There are certainly some trails out there but you never know when you'll run into a locked gate. You may want to get in contact with lamotovita. He knows that area much better than I do.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #3178
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Question Offroad in the Phoenix area

Hi folks, I am planning a trip to your area Thanksgiving week 2014 for 3-4 days. I'll be coming from Raleigh, NC. Most of my riding is mud, clay and sand, with as many rocks and hills as I can find.

I got a taste of the desert last year riding the Vegas area on a rental F800GS. Looking forward to renting something much more off roadable. Any thoughts on rentals or trails in the Phoenix area would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has time to show me the trails, that would be even better. Thanks

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #3179
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixfords View Post
Hi folks, I am planning a trip to your area Thanksgiving week 2014 for 3-4 days. I'll be coming from Raleigh, NC. Most of my riding is mud, clay and sand, with as many rocks and hills as I can find.

I got a taste of the desert last year riding the Vegas area on a rental F800GS. Looking forward to renting something much more off roadable. Any thoughts on rentals or trails in the Phoenix area would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has time to show me the trails, that would be even better. Thanks
Saturday after Thanksgiving is always COKE OVENS RIDE time!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535122

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843631

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938089
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #3180
ifixfords
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
[QUOTE=cyberdos;23357478]Saturday after Thanksgiving is always COKE OVENS RIDE time!

Looks like a great time, unfortunately I will be leaving that day. We fly in on Sunday and I plan on riding Mon.-Wed. I might have to pre-ride the COKE OVENS for you all, especially if someone local has time to ride during the week.

Thanks for the suggestion.

2014 BMW F800GSA
2008 KTM200XC-W
2009 Beta EVO 250
ifixfords is offline   Reply With Quote