ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #3226
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
What do you mean? I thought I performed my 180 almost flawlessly.
I think the walk of shame back to pick up the bike in slow-mo was a nice finishing touch.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #3227
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I think the walk of shame back to pick up the bike in slow-mo was a nice finishing touch.

It's a shame you didn't film my face-plant into the sand or my 10 feet tumblr-down the hill.

:)
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #3228
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcool72 View Post
It's a shame you didn't film my face-plant into the sand or my 10 feet tumblr-down the hill.

:)
I just ordered 2 more backup batteries. When do you have time to go back out there?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #3229
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Quote:
I'm really impressed with the little cam. It actually looks a lot crisper on the PC before I upload it to youtube. And that's recording at 720 with 60fps. It can record up to 120fps and some ridiculous wide screen frame. But of course, if I shot at that size my PC would go bonkers. Once I get a new PC in a few months we'll see what it can really do.
Maybe I missed it, what camera are you using? I've made the decision to finally get my act together on shooting vids. I just installed iMovie and I'm upgrading from a GoPro 1 to a 3+ (I think). I wish I would have had the GoPro when I went through the old Claypool Tunnel.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #3230
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Hero3 Black.

But the Hero2 has excellent video quality as well. I chose the 3 black because of the wireless remote.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #3231
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
yep. you were right. shows up fine on the laptop.

cyberdos, were gonna have to get another gps class together. refocus asked me when we can do one yesterday.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #3232
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Bill and I have been talking about it. Should be soon.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #3233
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Bill and I have been talking about it. Should be soon.
I was going to email you about this also. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #3234
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Well the main thing I'd like to know from you guys is what do you want to get out of it? I feel like last time I was all over the place trying to cover as much as I could and that's a tough task to take on.

The most important thing for anyone using these gadgets whether it be a phone or a GPS to help navigation is to learn to use your specific unit. This means opening up your manual and going through all your setting and figure out at a high level what buttons do what and for what. You don't have to master it and I am well aware of how shitty these users manuals are but at least knowing what features your units are supposed to have is a good launching point for you to understand it better and get the most possible use out of your specific unit.

For example, on last Saturday's ride we were spent shortly after arriving at the first cove down by Saguaro Lake. I had a track that zig zagged us down to all of the coves before arriving down by Butcher Jones. At that point I looked at my topo maps and saw that the track was just ups and downs the whole way through. Even if the overall distance was way shorter than the way we eventually ended up going I knew that the way we went was much easier (and also known to us) so we opted for that.

Now, if I had not known how to toggle between my regular base map and the topo map to check what the terrain looked like ahead and the distance, I would be clueless as to which way to go. There aren't any 'shorter distance' or 'faster time' features when you're navigating over tracks off road. There's also a feature on my unit to plot an elevation profile for the track. Super useful for specifically that scenario.

Pre ride track preparation also helps you get out of jams. If you have only ONE track for a ride and you get off track for some reason whether it be that the trail ends at a locked gate or you find an easier trail (which happened to us that day) and take that one over the one stored in your GPS then you've going to be staring at an empty screen and screwed. Trace out more than one track. Put waypoints to give you pointers on which tracks to take. Remember, when you're following a track the other tracks you have stored will not show up so that's where waypoints (which do show up) help you figure these things out.

rambling....

maybe I can set up some youtube videos with details of what I do to prepare for a day of riding.

cyberdos screwed with this post 02-05-2014 at 09:33 AM
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #3235
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 500
I like the idea of doing a preparation class.

Plot a polygon on Google Earth.
Save the file and upload to basecamp.
Create Waypoints and elevation profiles.

All of that could be done genericly with no GPS. Then after everyone uploads to their own GPS...We could have a Q&A session when people want to switch pages and track their routes on their own units.

Someone should come up with an area they plan to ride in the future and then we could all make the file on Google Earth together.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #3236
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Exactly what I'm talking about.

You can prepare for a ride either by downloading a track that has already been created or by going on GoogleMaps/Earth/GPSVisualizer and creating it yourself. I like the simplicity of GPSVisualizer myself but they all work fine.

Maybe a good area to take as an example would be Florence-Kelvin Highway area since it is familiar to most everyone here and has a mix of paved, designated trails, and non designated 9exploration) trails.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #3237
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,678
Great info here..
What sort of GPS units are most guys running? I've got an Oregon that I use for hiking and a larger Garmin 550 for the GS but haven't done a lot of off roading with it.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #3238
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
Great info here..
What sort of GPS units are most guys running? I've got an Oregon that I use for hiking and a larger Garmin 550 for the GS but haven't done a lot of off roading with it.
Oregon what? I use the Oregon 450. I really like it but my favorite GPS is still the Zumo. It's too big and bulky when the trails get rough though which is why most people off roading prefer the handheld units like the Oregons, Montanas Etc. Unfortunately I've only ever worked with Garmin units so I can't really say how good any other brands are. I'm willing to work with ya though. Don let me borrow his 60 and I learned a lot from it.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #3239
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
I've been using my Garmin 60CSx for 6+ years...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #3240
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Oregon what? I use the Oregon 450. I really like it but my favorite GPS is still the Zumo. It's too big and bulky when the trails get rough though which is why most people off roading prefer the handheld units like the Oregons, Montanas Etc. Unfortunately I've only ever worked with Garmin units so I can't really say how good any other brands are. I'm willing to work with ya though. Don let me borrow his 60 and I learned a lot from it.
Yes I have the 450, its a nice unit and recently bought used on this site for a trip into the Wave in Vermillion Cliffs. I downloaded a track and created another going in so we would have a reference while hiking out in the dark.

I justt need to spend more time like you say playing with it and watching some more video's on creating my own route and loading it before a trip.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote