ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #3241
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,640
Time to remedy my fender situation....went with SE parts....

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #3242
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
I've been using my Garmin 60CSx for 6+ years...
It's a solid unit and preferred by many here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
Yes I have the 450, its a nice unit and recently bought used on this site for a trip into the Wave in Vermillion Cliffs. I downloaded a track and created another going in so we would have a reference while hiking out in the dark.

I justt need to spend more time like you say playing with it and watching some more video's on creating my own route and loading it before a trip.
Here's a quick and dirty for creating your own track. this is for creating tracks that are not on google maps. What I mean by that is that they don't show up on the regular vector based map which in turn probably means that whatever map you have installed on your unit (whether it be topo map or city navigator, etc) you won't have aline for that trail on there.
Go to GPS Visualizer. There, you'll see the Freehand Drawing Tool.
With the Freehand Drawing tool you'll be able to trace a track wherever you see something that may look like you can ride/walk.

For example, zooming into the intersection of Florence-Kelvin and Bakerville Rd you'll see that both roads are visible on googlemaps like so:

but if you look on the satellite view you'll see that tehre are trails that do not show up on the vectored googlemaps roads view:

you can toggle view from map to satellite to hybrid to topo and a bunch others on the top right hand corner of the freehand tool in GPS Visualizer. It is essential for picking which way to go sometimes. Specially when you toggle between topo/terrain and see that the trail is STEEP. Might want to make a note and pick an alternate trail that ascends or descends in a more gradual manner. :)

Back to the track. So now that you see what trail you want to trace out you selet the TRK tool on the upper right hand side of the screen. it's got the little zig-zagged red line. Then start dropping your track like so:

The track started at Florence Kelvin and is going to hook back up with Bakersville Rd as you can see above. now here is where I say that waypoints come in handy. If you simply make the track, it's not going to be enough. Why? Because more than likely you'll ride right past the point where you need to start the track without ever knowing. Tracks will only show up one at a time when you have the specific one selected. So the best way to know that you have a track ready for use is to make a waypoint at the beginning and at the end of the track created. The custom waypoints that you create are always visible on the screen of your GPS. No need to turn them on. So if you're rolling along Florence-Kelvin and you see that you're riding past a waypoint called 'Bakersville-alternate1' (or whatever) you'll know that you have a track set up and can turn it on right then and there and follow it.

Waypoints on the freehand tool are as easy as selecting the WPT icon and dropping it wherever it needs to be. Here you'll see that I finished the track (which you close out by selecting the point last dropped to close out the track) and made two waypoints. one at the start and one at the end. both will be visible at all times on the GPS so no matter what direction of travel I'm following I'll be able to pic that trail up regardless.

You can continue creating as many tracks and waypoints as you like. Once you're good you can save your data as a GPX file. Again, it's as easy as clicking on teh GPX icon on the top right corner. It will save the file wherever you specify on your computer with some screwy name. No worries. you can rename the file to whatever you like (or not). the track information that the GPS will read will be in the text that is inside the file. So you can name the file dog poop and it will not show up as dog poop. It will have your tracks and waypoints the way you saved them while creating in GPS visualizer.

Now, to upload them to the GPS.

Connect your GPS to your computer using the usb cable.
Drag that dog poop file into a folder named GPX whcih should already be in your unit's root directory.

that's it.

Yep, that's it.

Tracks will show up under your 'tracks manager' dialogue or if you select 'where to' it will be under tracks there. Same deal for the waypoints.

let me know if you try this and run into any trouble.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #3243
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:

Nice!
Old 02-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #3244
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Awesome GPS tidbit and site that is better than Google Maps
Thank you for that!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #3245
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,678
^^^ No kidding, thanks a bunch!!!
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #3246
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
It's a solid unit and preferred by many here.

Here's a quick and dirty for creating your own track. this is for creating tracks that are not on google maps. What I mean by that is that they don't show up on the regular vector based map which in turn probably means that whatever map you have installed on your unit (whether it be topo map or city navigator, etc) you won't have aline for that trail on there.
Go to GPS Visualizer. There, you'll see the Freehand Drawing Tool.
With the Freehand Drawing tool you'll be able to trace a track wherever you see something that may look like you can ride/walk.

For example, zooming into the intersection of Florence-Kelvin and Bakerville Rd you'll see that both roads are visible on googlemaps like so:

but if you look on the satellite view you'll see that tehre are trails that do not show up on the vectored googlemaps roads view:

you can toggle view from map to satellite to hybrid to topo and a bunch others on the top right hand corner of the freehand tool in GPS Visualizer. It is essential for picking which way to go sometimes. Specially when you toggle between topo/terrain and see that the trail is STEEP. Might want to make a note and pick an alternate trail that ascends or descends in a more gradual manner. :)

Back to the track. So now that you see what trail you want to trace out you selet the TRK tool on the upper right hand side of the screen. it's got the little zig-zagged red line. Then start dropping your track like so:

The track started at Florence Kelvin and is going to hook back up with Bakersville Rd as you can see above. now here is where I say that waypoints come in handy. If you simply make the track, it's not going to be enough. Why? Because more than likely you'll ride right past the point where you need to start the track without ever knowing. Tracks will only show up one at a time when you have the specific one selected. So the best way to know that you have a track ready for use is to make a waypoint at the beginning and at the end of the track created. The custom waypoints that you create are always visible on the screen of your GPS. No need to turn them on. So if you're rolling along Florence-Kelvin and you see that you're riding past a waypoint called 'Bakersville-alternate1' (or whatever) you'll know that you have a track set up and can turn it on right then and there and follow it.

Waypoints on the freehand tool are as easy as selecting the WPT icon and dropping it wherever it needs to be. Here you'll see that I finished the track (which you close out by selecting the point last dropped to close out the track) and made two waypoints. one at the start and one at the end. both will be visible at all times on the GPS so no matter what direction of travel I'm following I'll be able to pic that trail up regardless.

You can continue creating as many tracks and waypoints as you like. Once you're good you can save your data as a GPX file. Again, it's as easy as clicking on teh GPX icon on the top right corner. It will save the file wherever you specify on your computer with some screwy name. No worries. you can rename the file to whatever you like (or not). the track information that the GPS will read will be in the text that is inside the file. So you can name the file dog poop and it will not show up as dog poop. It will have your tracks and waypoints the way you saved them while creating in GPS visualizer.

Now, to upload them to the GPS.

Connect your GPS to your computer using the usb cable.
Drag that dog poop file into a folder named GPX whcih should already be in your unit's root directory.

that's it.

Yep, that's it.

Tracks will show up under your 'tracks manager' dialogue or if you select 'where to' it will be under tracks there. Same deal for the waypoints.

let me know if you try this and run into any trouble.

You must be having a slow day at work too.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #3247
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
You must be having a slow day at work too.
stupid snipping tool here makes those images blurry. The nerve of them to provide me with these low budget tools!
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #3248
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 500
Luckily GPS Visualizer is not blocked by the company firewall, so I have been practicing your tutorial.

I actually did get something done today.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #3249
WJP4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
I like the idea of doing a preparation class.

Plot a polygon on Google Earth.
Save the file and upload to basecamp.
Create Waypoints and elevation profiles.

All of that could be done genericly with no GPS. Then after everyone uploads to their own GPS...We could have a Q&A session when people want to switch pages and track their routes on their own units.

Someone should come up with an area they plan to ride in the future and then we could all make the file on Google Earth together.
You lost me at Polygon
WJP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #3250
WJP4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:

Mike that SE fender will look awesome on the 990
WJP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #3251
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJP4 View Post
You lost me at Polygon

Here's another quick example. I traced a few trails over there East of Gold Canyon that extend out of Peralta Trail. On the right hand side you can see that I didn't name them anything in particular.

I just traced lines over whatever looked like a trail and then when I'm done I can look to see where I can possibly create a loop. Here I highlighted a possibility:

So I'll go back and retrace what I highlighted in yellow and call that my main exploration track. Then at each intersection with other lines I'll do individual tracks with waypoints in case things don't work out with my main track.

Now here's where a little experience can help. If you toggle to terrain view instead of satellite view you see this:

The yellow highlighted track above shows that it's going straight up and through a mountain. That trail will probably be tough. So I have the bail out track right next to it which extends west and joins up with a main road (circled in blue) which should be an easy out.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #3252
agavelvr
Banned

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlr View Post
Great info here..
What sort of GPS units are most guys running?
I used to use a delorme PN30 before all of these fancy once started coming out.
Now, it is hard to deny the power of the Iphone running MotionX. I also have a delorme InReach that I pair with the Iphone...the topo detail is excellent there and I have the whole southwest loaded on my phone.

A few weeks ago, after missing the meetup in Coolidge, I made up a route from there to Winkleman on dirt using MotionX in the parking lot of a gas station :) Uploading tracks in advanced is easy to.

GPS Bable to convert all my old files from various GPSs and old mapping softwares into something usable. I pretty much do all my stuff in .gpx now to keep it open source and importable into anything.
agavelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #3253
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Is this one of you guys?
I-17 fwy headed north at 11am this morning...
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #3254
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,926
Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
Is this one of you guys?
I-17 fwy headed north at 11am this morning...
Looks like an out of state plate.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #3255
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Looks like an out of state plate.
Washington. Keep heading north
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote