ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #3961
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
HERESY, PURE UNADULTRADED HERESY !!!!! Punishably by inquisition of the faithful and a decision of death by fire at the stake or drawing & quartering.

Painting of the sacred orange is a path I would not choose lightly, nor even in jest, as repercussion for even the mere thought of such travesty could being about the wrath of the gods.

Do not make this assertion with the belief that "its funny" as you will release a shit storm unlike anything known to mere mortals & a curse upon your own that will make Moses's Egyptian plagues but mere child's play.

I beseech you my friend , DO NOT anger the ORANGE GODS of all that is great & good in the world of motorcycles.
Damn man u scare the hell out of me, make me feel like I am in an Omen movie.All right, all right i'll stick to the yellow then. BTW If I get an orange one there will be no time to paint it cuz I'll be doing maintenance/wrenching work instead.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #3962
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
HERESY, PURE UNADULTRADED HERESY !!!!! Punishably by inquisition of the faithful and a decision of death by fire at the stake or drawing & quartering.

Painting of the sacred orange is a path I would not choose lightly, nor even in jest, as repercussion for even the mere thought of such travesty could being about the wrath of the gods.

Do not make this assertion with the belief that "its funny" as you will release a shit storm unlike anything known to mere mortals & a curse upon your own that will make Moses's Egyptian plagues but mere child's play.

I beseech you my friend , DO NOT anger the ORANGE GODS of all that is great & good in the world of motorcycles.
This is proof of what happens when you drink too much orange koolaid I be Red until I'm dead
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #3963
Steezeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Do you guys know of any trails between Clifton and Mt. Graham? I'm camping at those places Sunday and Monday nights, respectively, and since they're only about two hours apart I figured I could throw some dirt in between. Relatively big bike friendly because I'm on a Wee-Strom but I'm willing to be dumb on it.
Steezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #3964
AZ4us
AZ Explorer

Oddometer: 276
I must confess that I am guilty of talking orange in front of Eddy. I was teasing him with the same topic and he always defended the DR yellow family. Oh well. Get over with it !
Yes, orange is better than yellow for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Damn man u scare the hell out of me, make me feel like I am in an Omen movie.All right, all right i'll stick to the yellow then. BTW If I get an orange one there will be no time to paint it cuz I'll be doing maintenance/wrenching work instead.
AZ4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #3965
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Orange really just faded Red
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #3966
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,018
no thats pink tom, ya know the color of your undies
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #3967
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
no thats pink tom, ya know the color of your undies
I gave those back to Sheriff Joe
Old 04-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #3968
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezeman View Post
Do you guys know of any trails between Clifton and Mt. Graham? I'm camping at those places Sunday and Monday nights, respectively, and since they're only about two hours apart I figured I could throw some dirt in between. Relatively big bike friendly because I'm on a Wee-Strom but I'm willing to be dumb on it.
The backcountry route between clifton and safford is beautiful and big bike friendly. Look on the map for the road that goes past the gila box.

-dod
Old 04-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #3969
Steezeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
^ Thanks man, that looks nice and mellow. That led me to other "scenic byways" in the state; have any of you done the Harquahala one? I saw a video of a guy on a V-strom who didn't make it too the top because it was too hard, then read the report of a Jeep guy who said that it's so tame that it isn't even fun. Do you guys have any idea of what it's like?
Steezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #3970
AlwaysGrowin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
Aaron,

Thanks for posting, it looks like you all had a great time.

Derek and Jay,

Thanks for the ride today we could have asked for better conditions. We maybe a little less wind but it wasn't too bad.

Later
Bill
Had a great time Bill and Jay it was nice meeting you both! The pleasure was all yours! . Wind helped me get a little workout along with dumping the bike while turning around...sorry you missed that. Here's some info for that Saturday Mt. Lemmon ride.

Developed an output shaft seal leak wasn't a big deal, slow leak. then for an unknown reason (at the time, now it makes sense) my bike overheated for a moment that following day (Sunday) on a ride up 4 Peaks then down to the dam then back through tortilla flats....beautiful in April btw. Cooling system needed air burped and water added but showed no sign of leaking.
Fixed the seal and topped of coolant when I noticed the oil/water mixture under the oil cap and through the sight glass.

Now I think I've either blown a head gasket or have some kind of blown seal. Oil seems to be blended nicely with something that is not oil I'm guessing coolant/water. A friend and I will be tearing it apart in a couple days to determine for sure. Tech day / BBQ might be in order pretty soon for anyone interested.

I found an engine on ebay w/ 14k miles for a steal so it's on a truck to my house. Will be here in the next week. Guessing a day or 2 for swap if there aren't any snags....again grilling, beer and advice is always encouraged and welcomed. Neighbor/KLR riding Friend and I have the swap covered but everyone has tricks up their sleeve and, well, of course, beer and food.

Existing 61k engine is going to teach me all I ever wanted to know and still need to learn about tear down, seal replacements, cleaning, what to look for, and do some upgrades so when it's her time she'll perform.
Cheers!

AlwaysGrowin screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 02:23 PM Reason: Ipad. Nuff said.
AlwaysGrowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #3971
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Harquahala road varies and changes from time to time. I took that video on my vstrom two years ago and hadn't developed much skills off road then. Still, it was a pretty steep hill ahead with quite a few loose rocks. The KTM 990 ahead of us made it up and I think either the BMW or the Tenere got about half way and bailed.

I'm sure it's bike bike "doable". That's one ride that's kind of haunted me and I've considered going back to try again just to show it who's who. Wisdom keeps getting the better of me though and I go ride something more interesting.

Plenty of others have made it before and since so it's not impossible. Maybe the road has changed since then. Maybe its better now.

Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezeman View Post
^ Thanks man, that looks nice and mellow. That led me to other "scenic byways" in the state; have any of you done the Harquahala one? I saw a video of a guy on a V-strom who didn't make it too the top because it was too hard, then read the report of a Jeep guy who said that it's so tame that it isn't even fun. Do you guys have any idea of what it's like?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #3972
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 23,125
You can do it now that you have a proper adventure bike.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #3973
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Ok, true. Serious difference now on the Tenere. But we digress...

You were the guy on the KTM that made it that day. I think you've gone up there a couple times.

What's it really like going up Harquahala.

How would you rate Harquahala for a big adv bike;
1. Friendly
2. Doable
3. A Challenge
4. Just dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
You can do it now that you have a proper adventure bike.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #3974
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 23,125
It's friendly until the very top where it becomes doable.

Still worth going up there even if you don't go all the way.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #3975
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 598
I am going on a road ride up to Wickenburg this Saturday. I plan to head through fountain hills up McDowell mountain Road or Mustang way. Then I am going to go through cave creek until I join up with the carefree highway.

Has anyone ridden south on S Vulture Mine Road? I may take that on the way home.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote