ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #4021
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,959
Bill-
I'm not sure from Gisela but from Punkin Center you can take FR-71 and it's really nice and easy up to 609 like so. At point C it splits off to the 416 which is what Viper05 and I took a few weeks ago and that trail dead ends. On the Tonto forest map it said that the 609 continues over to the 288. I don't see it on GoogleMaps but you can barely make out a trail on satellite view. Nothing looked intimidating up there wen we rode it but some of the trails we wandered off into did close up and were impassable. I'd be interested in scoping it out but I'm not sure I can ride this weekend.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #4022
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,735
i only know one route,,,, it could get pretty knarly depending on rain and traffic.
i havent been on it in years cause i heard, but dont know for sure, that it was closed.

the rough spot and sometimes real rough was getting through the tonto creek canyon. if you look at google maps the rd comes out of gisela and young but dont show they connect, although i recon they still do if your ambitios enough.

used to run north out of town on the powerline rd and then split off the east,, BTW google maps also doesnt show the powerline rd coming out of star valley connecting with gisela but i KNOW it still does cause ive been on it recently, and thats a nice rd.

2 SPOT screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 03:04 PM
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #4023
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 574
Thanks guys

I am not quite sure what ride to do for sure but want to hit Young Saturday.

Take Care
Bill
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #4024
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Been a while since I was out, but I took the XR out to Rolls OHV yesterday after work. Did a bunch of maintenance on the XR over the last several weeks along with tire changes to full knobbies from street/dirt hybrids, and I'm liking the result. Never been through Rolls before, that is really fun back there!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #4025
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Ride Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Been a while since I was out, but I took the XR out to Rolls OHV yesterday after work. Did a bunch of maintenance on the XR over the last several weeks along with tire changes to full knobbies from street/dirt hybrids, and I'm liking the result. Never been through Rolls before, that is really fun back there!
I still need to make it out there sometime, sounds like a fun place.

Saturday I am planning on going to Young via the Apache trail and then the 288.

Depending on time we are going to try taking Haggler creek up to the 260 then back thru Payson or go back the way we came, we will see.

If anyone can make we can meet at the Chevron of the 60 and Idaho Rd.

I figure we wound eat at Antlers and skip Breakfast.

Take Care
Bill
Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #4026
Plawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post

Saturday I am planning on going to Young via the Apache trail and then the 288.

Depending on time we are going to try taking Haggler creek up to the 260 then back thru Payson or go back the way we came, we will see.

If anyone can make we can meet at the Chevron of the 60 and Idaho Rd.

I figure we wound eat at Antlers and skip Breakfast.

Take Care
Bill
What time are you headed up there? I was thinking of doing Apache trail/4 peaks but I'm not opposed to taking the 288 to Young, then maybe Chamberlain Trail to the 260.. or something else big bike friendly.
Plawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #4027
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plawa View Post
What time are you headed up there? I was thinking of doing Apache trail/4 peaks but I'm not opposed to taking the 288 to Young, then maybe Chamberlain Trail to the 260.. or something else big bike friendly.

Oops,

Lets say 8:00
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #4028
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a route to go from Gisela to Young that isn't too difficult. Say no harder than Montana mountain.

Thanks

Bill
Yes, there is a unimproved 4x4 road from Rye Creek that will take you to Young. Check out Google maps, I think the gravel road is labeled 'coffee pot' and is accessed on the right, just after turning off the Hwy 87 to head east to Gisela. There is a few gates if I remember correctly and you had to cross through 76 Ranch. Hardest part is easier than Montana Mtn IMHO, and that comes at the first 10% of the ride to Young. Not many people back there on the Gisela side, so I wouldn't recommend riding it alone. Some cool grave sights off to the left as you top out overlooking Gisela.

A month ago we did the 'mail trail', which heads out of Gisela east and connects up with the road mentioned above(labeled 894/134 on my FS maps). This is a small bike only route that can get very technical in spots, but another option.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #4029
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Bill, I wouldn't recommend the mail trail. Big E told me about the time he did it, and he said it was a lot like the rug road. Steep, loose and never ending!

I've never ridden with fuggy, but have seen some of his videos. If he says small bike and very technical, you don't want any part of it.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #4030
Plawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Oops,

Lets say 8:00
Allright, I should be able to make that, gray GS, weird accent.
Plawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #4031
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Well the inevitable finally happened this morning. I got in a wreck on my way to work. I was going about 40 MPH when a dude pulled out in front of me. Totaled the KLR. I went for quite a tumble but my tiez suit and helmet worked fantastically and I walked away from it. Getting X-rays now to make sure nothing is broken. I'll have to write something up better once I am in front of a computer.

MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #4032
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 157
Sorry about your KLR but so thankful you're ok to tell the story.

I had a horrible close call yesterday as a car locked his brakes and was going to hit me from behind at the ramp on Cactus and 101 southbound. I guess he was distracted and/or wanted to beat the red light!

My guardian angel and my skills saved me. I usually downshift when coming to a red light or stop. So all I had to do was twist the throttle and release the clutch wheeling my way out of certain collision.

I was shaken up but thankful to be ok... next time I see you we gotta celebrate we're ok.

Si?

:)

Ricardo C.
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #4033
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Mr. Goldfish,
I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. I always tell people, it's not if, it's when. I hope all is well and no broken bones. Take it easy, find a hot tub to soak in, you'll likely be a bit sore tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #4034
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Well the inevitable finally happened this morning...
Crap, glad you are okay. That looks like a serious hit. Be sure you get checked out a second time by the doc. All kinds of weird stuff happens to your body the week after. My hip is still swollen somewhat from a January accident

In terms of the bike... I totaled mine earlier this year as well. If you file an insurance claim, be sure to tally up all the parts, upgrades, and riding gear. I got about 5800 for my 2009 from my insurance company, which I considered a great deal all things considered. If you need any tips in that regard, shoot me a PM.
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #4035
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
That sucks

Dam it. Glad your ok. Good news is you can total the KLR and get a real bike....
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote