ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #46
sonoran
bruh

Oddometer: 22,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEEE..S..BILL
How do we find you? Look for the ADV sign at your table? Inside or outside?
I'll be wearing my helmet at the bar.

Or just look for the guy wearing a KTM ball cap.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #47
sonoran
bruh

Oddometer: 22,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGinAZ
I ride with Jerry's kids (the AARG! group) and have a great time doing so. With that being said there is always room for another group or two; often times it is inconvenient for me to take an entire weekend to go ride but a Saturday am is suitable and often times I don't have a group to ride with.

The more the merrier. I can often do weekday rides, would be good to meet others who have that flexibility.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #48
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Sheesh, work just can't end soon enough today...

The rides I've done and want to do.
Buster452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #49
SonnyAZ
DesertDweller

Oddometer: 709
Sorry Guyz I'm not going to make it tonite...First game of the World Series is on.
I'll catch ya'll next time.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #50
GEEEE..S..BILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Good to meet all u's guys tonight. Nice turn out. Good job Volt!
GEEEE..S..BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #51
azweasie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
just got home,182 mile round trip, had a great time . nice meeting you guys ,wish i had learned more of your names. i now know i really like riding dirt roads in the dark . hope i can make the next one
azweasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #52
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 24,145
sorry guys

Unfortunately I had one of my moments again today. One of those things that only fuckin happen to me and my beloved DR.
Had every intention to get out there and meet you guys. I knew I had over filled the oil on the DR from some maintenance this weekend. So when I got home I drained some of the oil and got her ready. I was a couple miles into going over there when out of nowhere I see a bunch of smoke in my headlight.

Yeap. In the rush to get out there I forgot to tighten the oil filler cap and it must've rattled off. Earl er'where. Put my foot on the hole lol and putted it back home. Will be going to ronayers shortly to get the replacement. So the DR is down again for a few days.

fml.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #53
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 159
I had a great time riding off road in the dark!
Watch out for Jabalinas!
Excellent view of the stars and what a moon!
Great people, great ride... let's do that again!
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #54
GEEEE..S..BILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Where di ya's go? Ride report
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #55
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Dirt in the dark was blast!

Now that was fun.

Very quick report.
- People showed up at San Tan Flats between 6pm and 7pm. What, 10 people showed up (sorry,horrible with names)? Social hour began and ended in about an hour when some wacko suggested we go for a ride.
- 6 of us decided to do a ride that none of us had been on and we no maps and no GPX files. Just road names and a general idea of what it looked like on a map...with no map in hand.
- 7:30PM sidestands up and rolling from San Tan Flats.
- We rode out to the Florence-Kelvin Highway west, south on Barkerville and then back east on Freeman to highway 79.
- Here's the route. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/211167
- We hit highway 79 around 9:45pm. I got home around 10:30.

For those of you that had the notion we were going up hill alot. We started on florence-kelvin at 1600ft and by the time we got to freeman rd we were up to 3800ft. At Freeman road it was all downhill from there.

Riding in the dark on dirt...cool and freaky. Riding up to rise in the road with darkness and the unknown on the other side was disconcerting. Every once and awhile there was a pucker factor from road turning into crap just as your headlight illuminates it as you come over the rise.

Loose sand and hardpack look very similar in the dark. Signs that say "Do not enter when flooded" were a pretty good warning that things were going to get squirrelly. Thankfully those signs were there.

Bit of a chilly ride home. I've added some warmer clothes into my side boxes and added electrics to my xmas list. Grip warmers would have been nice.

The scenery you ask? Well...as I was riding I would take a brief glance to my left or right and only saw darkness. Once stopped though and the headlights went off, the stars were cool. The moon rising at the end of our ride was a nice finish.

CyberDos, sorry you missed out on this one. You would have enjoyed this. Lucky it was the fill plug that fell out and not the drain plug. Could have been worse.

Oh...no one crashed. Wouldn't have mattered though because no one brought a camera so there would have been no proof.

Buster

Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #56
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Yep, great fun. Thanks everyone.
Dale
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #57
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 140
Eek Darkness

Very interesting, Well put Buster. Azwesie, "I now know i really like riding dirt roads in the dark " I am not sure if I like it or just the rush of dropping into darkness and hoping for the best. 182 huh. Fast ride up 87 for me home. Cold! Wasn't dressed for that so I layed on the tank behind my little screen and did 87 on 87. Faster you go the less time to be cold
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #58
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

In the dark, every corner is a blind corner...

I think I found some comfort in not knowing what was coming. I didn't have any time to prepare and do something stupid. I just rode. I'd have to say that was some of the smoothest riding I've done off-road. I got a good tempo. Yes, I was at a slow pace but my tempo/rythm setting up for turns was quite smooth. I got my groove on in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills
I am not sure if I like it or just the rush of dropping into darkness and hoping for the best.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #59
GEEEE..S..BILL
Gnarly Adventurer

Neato!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #60
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 24,145
Be very careful with livestock out there at night on FLO-KEL hwy and specially on Barkerville. I almost took out a cow on a night run and if you ride through there during the day you can see them everywhere.

So pissed I missed this but after what happened I wasn't in the state of mind to grab my other bike and head out there.