ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #751
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
That sounds like Soldier trail. Very rocky with a moderate steep guarding the begining of the trail.

Not Big Bike Area. I need to get another small bike. I miss this type of riding.
Here are some clues.

unfortunately the trail ended here.

azredline was riding a 650L. But he's a stud.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #752
cyberdos
True Story Bro

GPS Geek.

You see, this is the beauty of having a good GPS and KNOWING how to use it. Seabee let me borrow his GPS for me to download the tracks from yesterday. Here are the results.

According to the tracks, this trail is actually labeled on Googlemaps.

View Larger Map

Point A is "The Well"
Point B is the lowest point of that 401 trail at 1,857ft.
Point C is the highest point of the trail at 3,355ft.
and point D is where the trail ends at the cabin.

the trail is only 6.7 miles but took us an hour and 10 minutes to get from the well to the cabin. We did make a considerable amount of stops to catch our breaths, take pics, and drain the morning coffee so considering all that and how relentless the trail was, I think we made good time.

Here's a view on Google Earth of us gong up the trail.

How freaking cool is all that?!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #753
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,682
I need to find some big bike friendly areas around town. I'm here working through May, (so far ). I was supposed to be gone in December before the holidays but they just keep extending.

I rode up past Roosevelt dam Saturday. The gravel/dirt part was what I was looking for. I had not been off the pavement in almost two years. And not on my bike really since last July, other than to ride to Phoenix and commuting.

I'm riding a BMW adventure. I have some experience on dirt, but not a lot.

Oh, and I'm slow. Old and cranky sometimes.

And me,

Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #754
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
that is so cool! you are definately going to have to teach me how to use that thing.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #755
seabee1
we build, we fight

[QUOTE=Mr Head;20808482]I need to find some big bike friendly areas around town. I'm here working through May, (so far ). I was supposed to be gone in December before the holidays but they just keep extending.

I rode up past Roosevelt dam Saturday. The gravel/dirt part was what I was looking for. I had not been off the pavement in almost two years. And not on my bike really since last July, other than to ride to Phoenix and commuting.

so, you got to ride the apache trail? very cool. very scenic ride.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #756
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Hey Mr Head, the ride we are doing next Saturday is not very technical mostly dirt roads. There are also a few places out by Florence that are very nice rides. The Florence-Kelvin highway is always a good day ride it is a nice easy dirt road. You can also go south all the way to Oracle from Kelvin highway on via the Barkerville road and then to Willow springs. As long as it is not wet this is a really nice ride.

I definitely want to ride that area the next time you guys go out that way Julio/ SeaBee. If you guys decide to head that way again let me know. If I still have my dirt bikes Fireman Bob can ride the XR350 and I will ride the XR250.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #757
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I'd been on part of it to that first lake on the dirt, but that was maybe six years ago. I didn't have time to go further and didn't have a map or GPS at the time. Now, I'm hoping to do a good bit of exploring as long as I have to be here I might as well give it a shot.
Push comes to shove I could end up being here through the end of the year and into this time next year. My honey-do list is going into the red for sure.

[QUOTE=seabee1;20808517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I need to find some big bike friendly areas around town. I'm here working through May, (so far ). I was supposed to be gone in December before the holidays but they just keep extending.

so, you got to ride the apache trail? very cool. very scenic ride.
Smugmug
Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #758
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 311
That trail looks Yummy!

[QUOTE]

QUOTE]
Old 02-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #759
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Hey Mr Head, the ride we are doing next Saturday is not very technical mostly dirt roads. There are also a few places out by Florence that are very nice rides. The Florence-Kelvin highway is always a good day ride it is a nice easy dirt road. You can also go south all the way to Oracle from Kelvin highway on via the Barkerville road and then to Willow springs. As long as it is not wet this is a really nice ride.

I definitely want to ride that area the next time you guys go out that way Julio/ SeaBee. If you guys decide to head that way again let me know. If I still have my dirt bikes Fireman Bob can ride the XR350 and I will ride the XR250.
That's what I would recommend as well. For something a little bit more challenging you can go up to Montana mountain AND BACK. I emphasize and back because the back side of that ride is a little bit tough on a big bike. but the way up is nice and the scenery is awesome.

I've ridden quite a bit of Rolls. this is by far the toughest trail I've been on out there. Here's an overlay of the trails I've ridden in the area. The purple trail is what we rode yesterday.

A lot of Rolls can be deep sand washes. Going in there with a big bike you always have to take that into consideration. Yesterday we were crossing water a lot. Some of it just sucked you down quickly. It can make for a tough day but with a few buddies (and a strong tow rope) anything can be done.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #760
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
I'd been on part of it to that first lake on the dirt, but that was maybe six years ago. I didn't have time to go further and didn't have a map or GPS at the time. Now, I'm hoping to do a good bit of exploring as long as I have to be here I might as well give it a shot.
Push comes to shove I could end up being here through the end of the year and into this time next year. My honey-do list is going into the red for sure.
You really can't get lost on Apache Trail. You start after the pavement ends(where you started) and that road takes you all the way to Roosevelt Dam. If you do venture off any of the side trails you'll end up at dead ends and have to come back to Ap trail. It's cool to do that. Some really nice scenery everywhere you go there.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #761
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I'll see if I can figure that out for Saturday. It would be good to tag along with some folks. I'm in north central Phoenix, or really at the edge of Phoenix. Deer Valley Airport.
I'd looked at riding Willow Springs road on Saturday. Just got too late by the time I was to Globe. And I was tired, and hungry and knew if I stopped I'd be later than I was. I wanted to get back to my hotel in time to stream the WSBK races. I fell asleep during race 2 not that it was boring I was beat. Not used to actual fresh air and physical work type stuff.
That Florence-Kelvin highway looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post

Smugmug
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #762
cyberdos
True Story Bro

I started the RR but I've got to do some stuff so I'll probably finish it tonight. :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865995
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #763
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
[QUOTE=Mr Head;20808482]I need to find some big bike friendly areas around town.

The old & slow we can deal with but you will have to work on the cranky
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #764
seabee1
we build, we fight

[QUOTE=AZ TOM;20808977]
Quote:
I need to find some big bike friendly areas around town.

The old & slow we can deal with but you will have to work on the cranky

i like that!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #765
seabee1
we build, we fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
That sounds like Soldier trail. Very rocky with a moderate steep guarding the begining of the trail.

Not Big Bike Area. I need to get another small bike. I miss this type of riding.
I think that's right. Small rocky start with a sharp left hand turn and then the step up. If you choose to go on from there, it's on you!

www.dehmotorcycle.com