ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #826
kyre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Oh sorry, I thought I included size. I'm not quite sure, gym shoes I'm anywhere from 12-14 US depending on brand. I have a pair of Shimano Cycling shoes, which are a 47 or 48, or maybe even 49, I don't remember off hand. Boot wise I really have no idea.

I don't really care about walking around comfort, just something I can wear all day on the bike. I'll contact GoAz to see if they can help me out.
kyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #827
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,961
I know this could very well turn into a "what oil should I use" debate but if you primarily ride street and rarely see any off-road action then I'd stick with a street boot. The mobility and position of an off-road boat is very restricted compared to a street boot. You'll hate them if you're on a street bike.

my .02
Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #828
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
What oil should I use?
Rotella 15W40 it is certified by the Japanese oil standard organization for use in wet clutched motorcycles and certified by Caterpillar and Allison in their diesel engines that cost as much as 50 BMW1200GSA motorcycles.

So, maybe Bill has a point that my ride idea for Saturday might be a bit ambitious. I don't think Jack has too many weekends left. Anyone have a better ride idea for Saturday? Maybe something big bike friendly?
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #829
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 550
I have been fighting that crap that is going around and right now I am losing. If I don't get to feeling better before Saturday I might be out for what ever ride we come up with. At least there are a few days before Saturday to kick this bugs ass.
IBRiding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #830
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Good luck to you Bill. I have fought the various bugs for 10 weeks now. I have almost 100 school sites and every school has a different variant of the bug. The little germ breeders keep it alive. I guess we will just put Saturday on hold unless someone comes up with something good and you feel better. The following Saturday I have a wedding reception. -Paul
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #831
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,383
I've gone from Discovery's to the Crossfire, mainly for ankle protection. The big Adventure can crush more than cans when tipped over.

Discovery boots on the right have around 160,000 miles on them. second soles and three repairs of the uppers.
The Crossfires on the left now have about 10,000 miles of riding on them. Some hiking and some standing around in the rain. They are good for comfort I think. I've worn them for 16 hours at a time. I have not bothered with any insole replacement. The discovery boots I added insoles to fill the space. They fit much wider than the Crossfire.
Crossfire fit me much better in width, I have a narrow foot. And whether my roadrace boots, Crossfires or mtb shoes all are the same size 43. Only the Discovery were wider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyre View Post
Any recommendations for places to buy Sidi boots near Scottsdale/Fountain Hills? I would need to contact them to make sure they carry large sizes.

I'm not sure which to go for, but I'm mulling over these three:
Adventure
On-Road
Crossfire (TA?)

I mostly ride a sport bike, and only go off-roading rarely. I'm not sure if those boots (I've never owned any) will be less comfortable due to the foot / leg angle on in a sport position.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #832
kyre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I've gone from Discovery's to the Crossfire, mainly for ankle protection. The big Adventure can crush more than cans when tipped over.

Discovery boots on the right have around 160,000 miles on them. second soles and three repairs of the uppers.
The Crossfires on the left now have about 10,000 miles of riding on them. Some hiking and some standing around in the rain. They are good for comfort I think. I've worn them for 16 hours at a time. I have not bothered with any insole replacement. The discovery boots I added insoles to fill the space. They fit much wider than the Crossfire.
Crossfire fit me much better in width, I have a narrow foot. And whether my roadrace boots, Crossfires or mtb shoes all are the same size 43. Only the Discovery were wider.
Thanks for the feedback Cyberdos and Mr. Head. If only I had the money to afford both road & off-road boots.
kyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #833
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I used the discovery boots for commuting, touring and offroad. I only bought the Cossfires because of my anticipated eventual change of mount. My plan is to go with a thumper in the next year or so. specifically so I can ride less big bike friendly stuff. Not full on singletrack steep hills and crap. And I'll still avoid sand, but at my lack of skill level a smaller/lighter bike can make it look more like I know what I'm doing and hurt me less.
But, that's dependent on that same money thing you mention.
I use the big Crossfires when it rains as they are more waterproof than the cracked and torn old Discoverys.
Right now, I'm destroying a pair of Gortex hiking boots commuting in them. My Fancy Starbucks adventure bike oiled one of the boots so the Gortex is crap on that one, but it doesn't squeak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyre View Post
Thanks for the feedback Cyberdos and Mr. Head. If only I had the money to afford both road & off-road boots.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #834
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Heidenau Tires

Hello All,
I know that from time to time I throw out a random rage sequence, but in the interest of being kinder and gentler, I will try to handle my frustration in a lower keyed and more logical approach. Many ADV riders have mentioned that they really like Heidenau Tires. I have spoken with quite a few people that have said that on the KLR they like the Heidenau K60 scout rear and the Continental TKC80 on the front. I have this combo on my KLR and my Wee Strom has a Tourance rear and a TKC80 on the front. I am of the opinion that the TKC80 front is a good deal all the way, whether carving a canyon or off road. I have problem with the way that they track in sand, but I am not good in sand with any tire, I just think the traction is almost too good for sand. The TKC on my WeeStrom was at 50% when I bought the bike more than 4k miles ago and I just ordered another from Zen Moto today. The TKC on the front of the KLR has about 4K miles on it and it is about 80% tread left. Now on to the rear tire. My rear tire has about 6k miles on it. It is more than 50% tread left, but having said this I will not buy another one. Why? Because I cannot get it to bead on the rim. I had a flat a few weeks ago out riding with the group. We did a field change of the tube. When I road off I got a wobble and determined that it wasn't beaded all the way on one side. I let the air down and threw some lube on it and took it to all the pump would do, which was 60psi. It still didn't bead, so i had no choice but drop it to 30psi and ride home from Gila Bend. This morning I lubed it up better and tried several times with no luck. I rode it all the way to Zen Moto and back from Mesa. Took the wheel off, broke the bead fully lubed it with soapy water and took it up to 85 psi. No luck. To me this is strike 3 and I won't buy another. To explain: Strike 1 Bill bought a Heidenau K60 that was a total piece of crap. It gave him less traction than the factory DeathWing, and lasted about 2K miles. I guess the K60 non scout is a softer compound so you would expect shorter life, but crap traction and crap life and it wasn't cheap. Hell buy a Shinko it's a better tire. Strike 2 The K60 Scout that I have was a miserable bitch to change in the field and I couldn't get it to bead with 60psi and lube. Strike 3 Even after repositioning the tire, more lube, and 85 psi still wouldn't bead. I put the tire on the bike and beat it with a rubber mallet. I then rode off of every sidewalk and curb in my hood to no avail. I give up it is not worth this much time and aggravation. Okay off of my soap box now and back to your regular program. Thanks for putting up with me I feel better now, Paul
Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #835
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I went though two and a half sets of the Heidi's on my overweight Adventure. I hated changing those things. Very hard to get on and off, even with 100+ solar heat available.
And being tubeless they lose a lot of air day to day. To combat this some have suggested using a bead sealer, but I'm not amused to do anything to make it harder to get the tire off. And especially for a field repair. That would suck huge if I had to pop the bead to put a tube in for a sliced tire as I've had to do for a TKC.
I am of the mind that the TKC is fine. I can live with the mileage. I've gotten 8K out of the rear German made tire the Korean tires seem to not last as a long, but they take more weight to balance.

So I've got that going for me.

Stupid assed tire sizes is only one more log on the pile to stoke my fire to switch a real dual sport eventually.
That and the memory of the last time I picked up the pfig off its side.
That thing just really resembles a bloated cow when on its side.

My little tire analysis:

That Skorpion TL was great. Did an easy 10K or so.
Heidi's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Hello All,
I know that from time to time I throw out a random rage sequence, but in the interest of being kinder and gentler, I will try to handle my frustration in a lower keyed and more logical approach. Many ADV riders have mentioned that they really like Heidenau Tires. I have spoken with quite a few people that have said that on the KLR they like the Heidenau K60 scout rear and the Continental TKC80 on the front. I have this combo on my KLR and my Wee Strom has a Tourance rear and a TKC80 on the front. I am of the opinion that the TKC80 front is a good deal all the way, whether carving a canyon or off road. I have problem with the way that they track in sand, but I am not good in sand with any tire, I just think the traction is almost too good for sand. The TKC on my WeeStrom was at 50% when I bought the bike more than 4k miles ago and I just ordered another from Zen Moto today. The TKC on the front of the KLR has about 4K miles on it and it is about 80% tread left. Now on to the rear tire. My rear tire has about 6k miles on it. It is more than 50% tread left, but having said this I will not buy another one. Why? Because I cannot get it to bead on the rim. I had a flat a few weeks ago out riding with the group. We did a field change of the tube. When I road off I got a wobble and determined that it wasn't beaded all the way on one side. I let the air down and threw some lube on it and took it to all the pump would do, which was 60psi. It still didn't bead, so i had no choice but drop it to 30psi and ride home from Gila Bend. This morning I lubed it up better and tried several times with no luck. I rode it all the way to Zen Moto and back from Mesa. Took the wheel off, broke the bead fully lubed it with soapy water and took it up to 85 psi. No luck. To me this is strike 3 and I won't buy another. To explain: Strike 1 Bill bought a Heidenau K60 that was a total piece of crap. It gave him less traction than the factory DeathWing, and lasted about 2K miles. I guess the K60 non scout is a softer compound so you would expect shorter life, but crap traction and crap life and it wasn't cheap. Hell buy a Shinko it's a better tire. Strike 2 The K60 Scout that I have was a miserable bitch to change in the field and I couldn't get it to bead with 60psi and lube. Strike 3 Even after repositioning the tire, more lube, and 85 psi still wouldn't bead. I put the tire on the bike and beat it with a rubber mallet. I then rode off of every sidewalk and curb in my hood to no avail. I give up it is not worth this much time and aggravation. Okay off of my soap box now and back to your regular program. Thanks for putting up with me I feel better now, Paul
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #836
Brain
mr. self destruct

Oddometer: 519
I must be lucky. I got 18,000 out of my first set of Heidenau K60's (650 wee, all from commuting). The back was squared up bad but the front could have gone longer. I usually only had to adjust the pressure once a week. I’m now on the second set and all is good, the air loss with this set is even less.

I can’t comment about the mounting issue as Dillon put on both sets. I did mount a Heidenau K37 4.00-19 on the front of the Ural, and yes that was a chore, I think you could ride that tire flat and not notice.

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #837
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Mr. Head, Thank you very much for the cost break down that was a very impressive piece of analysis.

Brain, I had Dillon mount it the first time as well.

I am not saying that the Heidi isn't a good tire, I think it would be awesome on my Wee Strom because Dillon would install it and I would plug it if I got a flat. I guess all said and done the Heidi ran fine without the bead sealing at 80MPH so how bad can it be. The good news is that the bastard is finally seated. I duct taped the safety valve on my compressor and aired my tank to 110PSI. I aired down the tube fully broke the bead on both sides. Lubed it up with dish soap. At 100PSI the tire showed signs of moving. At 105 PSI the tire was almost there. I beat the shit out of it with a large rubber mallet and it popped and I nearly crapped in my pants because I thought it exploded. Aired it down to proper pressure. I am still shaking my head and thinking it shouldn't be this tough to bead a tire.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #838
Brain
mr. self destruct

Oddometer: 519
I had to do this once.

Why some tires stick so bad and others don't ?????????

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #839
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Hey, guys: Got referred over to this thread courtesy of SWDSRC, from here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...09358&page=572
What's the scoop?

Noob off-roader here, I own two bikes... a 2011 Shadow Phantom that I've put 13k on in the last year and a '94 XR600R that I bought VERY used that had this peculiar "ADVRIDER" decal on the back of it from some prior owner over the last 20 years or so. I've put about 500 miles on that bike and I'm looking for some friends to go rip up some desert and forest trails and enjoy AZ.

The XR is in fixer-upper condition right now and it'll be intermittently kicked up on a stand as I tackle one project or another, but she's running right now pretty happily. Projects to tackle in the next few months include stoopid-simple things like a new seat to replace the torn up original, to a carb rebuild mod I've heard about but never done myself to eliminate a sticky throttle when the thing gets hot (harder... never done a carb before). Also need to yank the existing speedo (craptastic bicycle one) and put on the Trailtech Vapor I have for it.

Goals with the XR are to turn it into something I can go fishing up on top of the Rim with no qualms, and have the trip cost me less than $10 gas for the day. Also want to learn the forest road network well enough that I can drive across the whole State of AZ without touching concrete.

Any good rides coming up?
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #840
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

There is a group/company right now building a back road discovery route across Arizona.
http://www.butlermaps.com/
I have not ridden with these guys yet, since I'm nursing my big fat, old 1150 Adventure with a sick oil cooler thermostat and crap in the rear tire causing a slow leak and maybe a bad clutch or just the slave cylinder. All of which make leaving the comfort of my short commute a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
Hey, guys: Got referred over to this thread courtesy of SWDSRC, from here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...09358&page=572
What's the scoop?

Noob off-roader here, I own two bikes... a 2011 Shadow Phantom that I've put 13k on in the last year and a '94 XR600R that I bought VERY used that had this peculiar "ADVRIDER" decal on the back of it from some prior owner over the last 20 years or so. I've put about 500 miles on that bike and I'm looking for some friends to go rip up some desert and forest trails and enjoy AZ.

The XR is in fixer-upper condition right now and it'll be intermittently kicked up on a stand as I tackle one project or another, but she's running right now pretty happily. Projects to tackle in the next few months include stoopid-simple things like a new seat to replace the torn up original, to a carb rebuild mod I've heard about but never done myself to eliminate a sticky throttle when the thing gets hot (harder... never done a carb before). Also need to yank the existing speedo (craptastic bicycle one) and put on the Trailtech Vapor I have for it.

Goals with the XR are to turn it into something I can go fishing up on top of the Rim with no qualms, and have the trip cost me less than $10 gas for the day. Also want to learn the forest road network well enough that I can drive across the whole State of AZ without touching concrete.

Any good rides coming up?