ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #1081
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
I heard that the hard stuff was after the bridge, so I be coming from a different direction? This will be my first time out there, but I guess if anything looks too crazy I can always turn around and head back.
fanatic291

You are correct, there is a steep hill you need to go down right after the bridge if you are coming from the Seven Springs side. I had to walk the DR650 down it but better riders than myself could ride it. The only other hard part is right at the dam as I fell there and walked it up as well. It looks like the next couple of weekends will be spent further north (cooler weather) or I might ask to join you. Have fun and be safe

Bill

IBRiding screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 09:47 PM
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #1082
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 441
About Sheep bridge... I am an off road noob. I have a fairly decent KLR and I rode it from 7 spring to Sheep bridge with no issue. Going from sheep bridge to bloody basin there were one or two spots that were rocky and challenging uphill but not too bad, I just chose a bad line. When we returned and did the full deal I rode my XR350 and really had fun. It made it really easy and enable me to have a good time. The difference a couple hundred pounds makes is incredible. I would run this 3 times a week in either direction on one of my dirt bikes, but I just don't think it would be fun on either the KLR or the Vstrom. I have ridden all of 7 springs and bloody basin on both of them and it was fun. Just my 2 cents. I am sure that some of the experienced long legged riders could have fun running sheep bridge on a SuperTenere but I am not built that way.

Well I guess you made it home okay Bill. I was about to text you.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #1083
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,887
Sheeps Bridge

There is no hard stuff on this ride with the exception of about 50 feet of a narrow rocky path which gets you from the river bank to the bridge on the east side.

The direction most run this loop is Seven Springs to Blody Basin and then down to the bridge and across which brings you to the hard right to get on this 50 foot section. Going down it is much easier as gravity is helping.....

Once your down by the river then its all easy stuff and under Horse Shoe Dam which has a little rough uphill but its not much trouble.

Enjoy.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #1084
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 470
Thank you for all of the info.

I was planning on doing an out and back from cave creek road up to the T and then turn right on FR 269 (Bloody Basin). Once I get to the bridge I wanted to take a few pictures and then turn around (not planning on crossing). Then I will turn around and head back.

Will this plan dodge all the tech?
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #1085
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Thank you for all of the info.

I was planning on doing an out and back from cave creek road up to the T and then turn right on FR 269 (Bloody Basin). Once I get to the bridge I wanted to take a few pictures and then turn around (not planning on crossing). Then I will turn around and head back.

Will this plan dodge all the tech?
Yes
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #1086
campbell3736
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Sheeps Crossing

Thanks for the info looks like I might try this run this Fri if work lets up and I can get away. My Plan is to bypass 7 springs as it adds about 50 miles to the trip. I made a short run out to Horseshoe Dam a few weekends back and am pretty sure I can cross the river by the ranch if not I plan on crossing the Dam by way of the ped. walkway tight fit but I am sure i can squeeze the KLR around the corners. I have watched a few videos of the steep rocky hill up to the bridge. I will make the call to climb that once I see it in person. If not there looks to be a few places to cross around sheeps bridge. My plans are to stay out for one night and find a place to camp either at the bridge or between the bridge and Bloody Basin. Then roll out I17 and head home.

How is Bloody basin Rd? I assume it is pretty good road as it is high clearance 2WD rated.

Also is there a good shaded area between the bridge and bloody basin to stay with out baking?

I am really looking forward to this run after my short H.S. dam ride Never really rode this area and it seems like it has a great varity of surfaces.

08 Grn KLR650 HT Panniers, Studebaker pipe, HT Protection, Moose Pegs, ROX Anti-Vibe Risers, Always under construction.
campbell3736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1087
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 441
I have a 2WD Jeep Patriot. (Front wheel drive station wagon) and did 7 springs and bloody basin never bottomed out once and was fairly easy the whole way.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #1088
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Nervous Nelly

OK, I am going play the part of a nervous Nelly to some of the Noobs to the area. The desert can be very unforgiving in the Summer months.

Take plenty of water, travel with a riding buddy, have a Spot indicator and GPS, carry extra tubes, tools, med kit, asst of nut & bolts, 2 part epoxy putty, protect all vulnerable areas of the bike with guards, take a cell (sat phone in remote areas - not for this area), and protective boots / gear.......

Oh yeah, and ride like you stole it

Sheep's Crossing is a great ride to get acquainted with our area! Enjoy
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #1089
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
Maybe a change of underware too??

Go ride it and have fun!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #1090
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Maybe a change of underware too??

Go ride it and have fun!
I knew I forgot something
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1091
campbell3736
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
OK, I am going play the part of a nervous Nelly to some of the Noobs to the area. The desert can be very unforgiving in the Summer months.

Take plenty of water, travel with a riding buddy, have a Spot indicator and GPS, carry extra tubes, tools, med kit, asst of nut & bolts, 2 part epoxy putty, protect all vulnerable areas of the bike with guards, take a cell (sat phone in remote areas - not for this area), and protective boots / gear.......

Oh yeah, and ride like you stole it

Sheep's Crossing is a great ride to get acquainted with our area! Enjoy
Thanks for the advise I will not be taking this trip alone. My brother and I ride together most of the time and rarly ride by ourselves. I agree with you on the AZ heat we have been riding AZ for quite a while just not that neck of the woods. As far as gear we could more than likely rebuild his XT600 and My KLR with what I carry. I have been an outdoor advocate for many years and am the type to over pack for the just in case senerios.

As far as underware doesn't everyone carry an extra set in their pocket for emergencys

08 Grn KLR650 HT Panniers, Studebaker pipe, HT Protection, Moose Pegs, ROX Anti-Vibe Risers, Always under construction.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #1092
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Suggestion

If I were doing the two days as you are planning I would suggest this.

The ride from Bartlett to Horse Shoe Dam and around isn't that special at all. I would run Seven Springs and then take Bloody Basin down to the river and camp there the night. This will give you the coolest night time temps by the river and a great place to camp. Also taking in the best views as you head down to the bridge. Then in the morning ride Bloody Basin all the way out and you would have a great trip for the area you are wanting to ride. It's your trip so have fun.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #1093
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
If I were doing the two days as you are planning I would suggest this.

The ride from Bartlett to Horse Shoe Dam and around isn't that special at all. I would run Seven Springs and then take Bloody Basin down to the river and camp there the night. This will give you the coolest night time temps by the river and a great place to camp. Also taking in the best views as you head down to the bridge. Then in the morning ride Bloody Basin all the way out and you would have a great trip for the area you are wanting to ride. It's your trip so have fun.
That is the camping trip that I want to do. Do you need a permit to stay overnight out there?
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #1094
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Camping

Quote:
That is the camping trip that I want to do. Do you need a permit to stay overnight out there?
I don't think so but someone with more knowledge on this topic can hopefully give you a definate answer. I would camp there without even thinking about it.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #1095
campbell3736
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I don't think so but someone with more knowledge on this topic can hopefully give you a definate answer. I would camp there without even thinking about it.

At very worst case you might need a Tonto Pass but i think it is far enough out that you would be ok. I carry one in the bike at all times after getting a stern talking to by a sheriff one time out by the salt river while making a 10 drink stop at one of the rec sites.