ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #1156
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToRideMoar View Post
The second I hit AZ soil, my clutch slipped and stripped out on me. Stranded on the side of US93 until a tow truck could bring me to Kingman, then I rented a Uhaul to bring me the rest of the way home after a 13,000+ mile ride.
Wow man that sucks. I have ridden a dozen Hondas 40k miles or more on one clutch. What is the total mileage on the bike? I don't know anyone with that tool, but Dillon over at ZenMoto has the best motorcycle shop I ever dealt with. His hourly rate is good and he has saved me a ton of cash by re-diagnosing things that I assumed were much worse. 480-600-2978
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #1157
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 148
I agree w/750Volts! ;)
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #1158
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 471
I love that shop. I am picking up my rotopax tank that Dillon ordered for me this Friday.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #1159
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,963
You need a tool to get the plates out?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #1160
CrownRoyal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
118!!!
I think im going to pass. I dont feel like riding on the surface of the sun.

I guess Im a sissy. I will just have to torture myself by watching some SpeedTV with several cold beers.
"Hold my whiskey and watch this"
CrownRoyalADV.wordpress.com
CrownRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #1161
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Wow man that sucks. I have ridden a dozen Hondas 40k miles or more on one clutch. What is the total mileage on the bike? I don't know anyone with that tool, but Dillon over at ZenMoto has the best motorcycle shop I ever dealt with. His hourly rate is good and he has saved me a ton of cash by re-diagnosing things that I assumed were much worse. 480-600-2978
26,609. Every mile my own, I bought the bike new in February of last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
You need a tool to get the plates out?
"Need" is such a needy word. Let's say, rather, that Honda has made a tool to make it optimally easy and efficient to remove the plates. I see how alternate methods could probably be used to accomplish the same thing, but the tool is designed to be the simplest way to do it.

Never done a clutch rebuild before and I am about a 92% adherent to "right tool for the job" philosophy.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1162
cyberdos
True Story Bro

I understand. But you really don't need the tool unless you are removing the hub. If you are only replacing worn plates there is absolutely no need for that tool. I've replaced plenty of plates before. It's very simple. Unless there's something to the Shadow's plate config that I don't know about, I would try to open it up and remove the plates before buying the tool. the bike's not going anywhere anyway.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #1163
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Never done a clutch rebuild before and I am about a 92% adherent to "right tool for the job" philosophy.[/QUOTE]

I hear you dude. I used to own a motorcycle that was built on this principal. Every single piece on the bike was designed to have a special tool to remove a part. Then there are special tools made to hold things and yet others to replace them. In fact I was so amazed at all of this I decided to sell this bike and buy one that I could use a hammer and pliers to make repairs.
Here is the bike I got rid of: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/har...sport_2002.php Notice the S model this is the one I bought it had even more special tools than the other models that year!
Here is the one I ride now (Mostly) http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kaw...r_650_1996.php
(Unfortunately the picture doesn't show the "Gay Pride" color scheme and special stickers that adorn my bike)
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #1164
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is a philosophy book that I really enjoyed reading.

One of the priciples the author lays out is the difference between function and design.

He used an example that his buddy could not handle fixing his high end motorcycle on the road, because the thought of using a strip of aluminum from a beer can as a handlebar shim was disgraceful.

Even though the strip of aluminum ceased to be a beer can when it was converted to a shim.

The book is really interesting and it is cool that he uses motorcycle analogies to explain the human thought process.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #1165
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Paul, you would grimace if you saw the make shift repairs I've made on the road.

3" hole in the top cover? No problem. Use some gasket sealer to keep it in place, remove the top engine mount bolt so it doesn't rip off your hack work and then ride the white rim trail.

You left your tire tools at home and get a flat?

No problem! Break the bead with a kickstand

use a traffic cone as a center stand

and use a crescent wrench and an electrical stripper as tire irons

good times!
Old 06-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #1166
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
What time will you guys be leaving? I am a slow rider, so I don't want to hold you back, but my friend might be bailling on me.

Thanks for the invite.
Would you guys care if I jumped in on this with you? I really couldn't tell you if im a slow rider or not as I've never riden with others so I have no way of guaging it, but being somewhat new to this and on a WR250R im leaning more towards kinda slow than fast. I figure I can hang with you fanatic291 if the faster guys feel like they are being held back.

If my nOOb factor and small bike are downers let me know and ill gladly skip it! I'd absolutely hate to get in over my head and I dont want to ruin anyone elses ride. There are plenty of things I need to do that involve being in air conditioning rather than riding out in the heat so a "maybe next time" response won't bother me in the slightest!
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #1167
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Come out and ride. My friend will be on a KLX250. We will be at wildcat before 5.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #1168
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,278
You are welcome to come. The way this ride goes we spread out a bit for the dust, ride your own pace and we regroup occaisionally
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #1169
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I understand. But you really don't need the tool unless you are removing the hub. If you are only replacing worn plates there is absolutely no need for that tool. I've replaced plenty of plates before. It's very simple. Unless there's something to the Shadow's plate config that I don't know about, I would try to open it up and remove the plates before buying the tool. the bike's not going anywhere anyway.

Honda service manual for this bike says I gotta (after getting all the covers off):

1. Remove the lifter plate and bearing and clutch springs (4 of them)
2. Unstake the clutch center lock nut
3. (using clutch center holder fancy tool if available) loosen and remove the clutch center lock nut and accompanying washers
4. At this point, the clutch center, pressure plates, clutch plates and such can be removed from the basket.

Without some means of countering the force on the center bolt, the entire assembly will rotate as you try to remove the clutch center. The fancy tool bolts to the four clutch spring guides (which are threaded on the inside) and has an interface on the edge of it to hold it in place with a 3/8" ratchet while applying loosening force on the clutch center nut.

I figure I can get a piece of sheet metal, cut in a circle smaller than the clutch basket, get 4 bolts threaded the same as the clutch spring guides, drill 4 holes in the sheet metal in a square pattern as defined by the 4 spring guides passing through the clutch center, weld a cheap 3/8 socket to the rig and go to town. Just have to tear down the bike to get the measurements, then seal up temporarily while I construct the tool.

The pics of my clutch in my service manual are nothing like those I can find on Youtube pertaining to Shadow clutch fixes, which seem to be for 1100cc Shadows that are older than mine. Can't find a vid for a newer Shadow 750cc Phantom/Aero. Seems the older 1100's you can slide the clutch plates out over the clutch center.

But to get my plates out I have to remove the clutch center. The center is the same diameter as the plates.

I've thought about just using an oversized socket and sliding it over the outside of one of the clutch spring guides, putting a long bolt into a second spring guide and laying the handle of the ratchet against the bolt to stop rotation while applying force to the center nut... but I worry that the torque may be too much for only two of those spring guides and I may bend them.

I want to repair this as minty as possible since I'm going to be selling the Shadow and getting into a Vstrom 1000 or Triumph Tiger instead... something more ADVish and rugged.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #1170
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic291 View Post
Come out and ride. My friend will be on a KLX250. We will be at wildcat before 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
You are welcome to come. The way this ride goes we spread out a bit for the dust, ride your own pace and we regroup occaisionally
Sweet, thanks!

4play, I don't suppose you and refokus are meeting up somewhere around his place are you? If memory serves me correctly he lives not very far from me and it'd be nice to follow someone in. If not no worries, I'll just meet up w/ everyone at wildcat.
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote