ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #1186
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
Brad I have about $4500 in it so I figure breaking even would be awesome. I didn't know you sold the Tiger.
About 3 months ago.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #1187
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
i don't think anyone's bringing a honda, so we shouldn't have any issues ;)
ouch!
Slowred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #1188
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowred View Post
ouch!
Their all riding Orange & carying lots of tools
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #1189
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to all the guys out on the ride from WildCat today, especially Refokus who let me follow him to staging. I had a good time!
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #1190
amec0406
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
That was a great ride! The heat turned out not to be much of an issue. It was great meeting everyone. Hope to see y'all again soon.
amec0406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #1191
WantToRideMoar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Paul, thanks for the info on your Weestrom.

As you've seen, I've got an XR600 for my mid-size bike. With the 750 shadow on that 48 state ride, I noted that it is a skosh short on power at altitude. I'm looking to get into something that runs a lot higher horsepower than the 750 could generate. With the shadow at mid 40's HP and the Vstrom at mid 60's HP, it's not enough of a difference for me.

I-90 across Wyoming I was laboring to maintain 75-80mph. If a legitimate reason came up to need 90+mph, I wouldn't have the power to get it on the shadow.

Don't think I want to own an XR600 and a 650 weestrom, and I'm not comfortable riding a nice bike like the weestrom offroad given my novice off road skills at this point, so the XR stays in the stable until my offroad skills improve. And I really want something in the 1000cc class, give or take, for future trips around the country. Two bikes + 1 truck is my garage limit, so no 650strom for me.

Frankly, I'll be down to 1 bike once the shadow is repaired and sold. I'll ride the snot out of that XR. I'm probably sinking more money into the bike than it's worth, but I'm setting it up front and back with Pirelli Scorpions for better on-road but acceptable off-road use, re-working the lighting system for higher output in consideration of that ride from Flagstaff to Payson a couple months back, and a few other tweaks. I just re-covered the seat on it this week. Some of it is obligatory maintenance anyways since the tires are pretty worn, but I could probably spend half as much for run of the mill $60 dirt bike tires rather than the scorpions, and abstain from the light kit or stator upgrades. Likely to not get the money back out of the bike, I'm sure. But it's good training on bike maintenance anyways.
WantToRideMoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #1192
redeye-az
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
990 a

if you want 1 bike to do what you say, i have a clean, 2010, KTM 990 Adv for sale. completely rigged for traveling. pm or somethin' if interested.....db
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #1193
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 442
Hey Casey I think you should rent the bike or borrow one that interests you. I have often looked at the specs of the bike and expected things that just didn't happen. I rode the Vstrom 1k and was very disappointed. I rode Eric's 950SE, albeit just for a few minutes and could feel the difference in power to my weestrom.

Edit: I guess RedEye and I were typing at the same time. With your leg length that bike would be perfect for you. The Vstrom would probably make you eligible for knee replacement in a year of riding. I had to use the drop plates on mine and I have a 29" inseam.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #1194
utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I don't think anyone's bringing a Honda, so we shouldn't have any issues ;)
Hey now!!! Just because we don't need a happy button to have fun 😊

I had a great time today - glad I didn't Wuss out and let 4play & Refokus guilt me into riding. The heat was not an issue
Old 06-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #1195
rickcool72
mOtOcIcLiStA

Oddometer: 156
What a ride! Fast, fun & adventurous! But of course I was the last guy. Regardless, I had a blast even riding home back roads thru Rio Verde, Fort McDowell and Saguaro Lake. Thank you all and thank God for cooling vest! Ha!. Sorry for those who missed it.
rickcool72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #1196
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,198
Great ride today. I am so happy the heat didn't get us.....
Old 06-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #1197
Steezeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I rode Four Peaks out and Apache Trail back this morning for my first real off road ride (dirt tracking at the middle school doesn't quite count) and it was a good time. I kind of want to wake up at the crack of dawn and do it again tomorrow....

Steezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1198
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcool72 View Post
What a ride! Fast, fun & adventurous! But of course I was the last guy.

Riding sweep is usually done by the strongest rider, you did a great job

Fun day, no major mishaps. Slowred bought us breakfast after the ride & we stopped at Zenn Moto's air conditioned shop & got to see Dillon, DOD & Cyberdos.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #1199
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 547
That was a ton of fun. I kept my usual pace, because I have only been riding for a few months. Thanks to all of you for showing us around.

I got to lay my bike down for my first time while going up that last hill after the spillway.

Thanks to 4Play for keeping on eye on me. I am a lot more confident when I have others to rely on.

That hill after the bridge was really cool to look back at and see what we came down.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #1200
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezeman View Post
I rode Four Peaks out and Apache Trail back this morning for my first real off road ride (dirt tracking at the middle school doesn't quite count) and it was a good time. I kind of want to wake up at the crack of dawn and do it again tomorrow....

We will have to ride 4 peaks together. I live really close to the trail. I am down to ride really early Saturday Mornings...or maybe the 4th of July at Dawn.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote