ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #1336
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 441
AZ Tom, I am thinking about this weekend mapping out the part from Clint's well to Flag. I would try to make the Flag to as far north as possible the first weekend in Aug. Would that weekend work for you?

Dirtbiker78 we would be happy to have you all along. I will try to get more solid details asap.
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #1337
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 124
Willing to have a CA dude along Paul? The bike's still AZ plated.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #1338
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
AZ Tom, I am thinking about this weekend mapping out the part from Clint's well to Flag. I would try to make the Flag to as far north as possible the first weekend in Aug. Would that weekend work for you?

Dirtbiker78 we would be happy to have you all along. I will try to get more solid details asap.
Can't do the first weekend in Aug. or the second but the 17th, 18th or any after that will work.

If you go this coming weekend for the Clint's Well to Flag part be prepared for major mud Ride safe.

AZ TOM screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 04:10 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #1339
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 138
Paul, there is ways to get from Clint Wells to Cameron by all offroad ( Around Long Lake to the Crater, or up to Kinibec then thru the Buffalo Range and under I40 across Indian Land to Great Falls) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2881709 ,,,but from there you will have to hit the blacktop. There may be a route from just west of Marble Canyon to the North rim but I don't know about the climb into the forest.

I would just plan on a lot of blacktop if you want to get there in less than a week.
I see a long day to get to Clint Wells then another day to Cameron and slab to Marble Canyon. Then on to Toroweep on day 3.

From North rim there is dirt to Fredonia then you pickup dirt just a few miles west that takes you to Toroweep. I believe it is about 60-80 miles in to Toroweep so double+ that for fuel.

Are you going to exit out to St George? Then back around to the west. Go around Lake Mead and back around to South Rim.?

I have many ways to get there.

NomorBills screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 03:59 PM
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #1340
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
Paul, there is ways to get from Clint Wells to Cameron by all offroad ( Around Long Lake to the Crater, or up to Kinibec then thru the Buffalo Range and under I40 across Indian Land to Great Falls) but from there you will have to hit the blacktop. There may be a route from just west of Marble Canyon to the North rim but I don't know about the climb into the forest.

I would just plan on a lot of blacktop if you want to get there in less than a week.
I see a long day to get to Clint Wells then another day to Cameron and slab to Marble Canyon. Then on to Toroweep on day 3.

From North rim there is dirt to Fredonia then you pickup dirt just a few miles west that takes you to Toroweep. I believe it is about 60-80 miles in to Toroweep so double+ that for fuel.

Are you going to exit out to St George? Then back around to the west. Go around Lake Mead and back around to South Rim.?

I have many ways to get there.
This sounds like more than a 3 day ride if we are leaving from Phoenix.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #1341
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'll be getting home in the second week of August and I'd love to come along on the Torroweep ride (if the route's big bike acceptable). My S10 was just delivered, farkles are in the garage waiting to be put on and I'm now just killing time till I get home (Gilbert).

I don't know the area at all cause I haven't been there much and it'd be great to get out and explore a little with you all, if you don't mind me tagging along. I'm no stranger to dirt, but never had a dirt bike this big before so it should make for some fun photo opportunities

Last thing, my fiance (who also rides) says she'll be willing drive a support truck (Dodge RAM with/ with out a trailer depending on interest) up for us if anyone wants to load a tent or dry clothes and beer etc, as a noob she's not quite confident enough to ride the whole route up by bike just yet but would love to come along, and the support truck role would suit perfectly.

If the above is a problem, or the routes aren't "BIG bike friendly" the offer of the support truck still stands if you guys are interested, just let me know.
Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #1342
Dirtbiker78
Getting there...

Oddometer: 162
Quote:

Sorry, just saw this now. Happy to come along. Looking forward to this
Dirtbiker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #1343
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
Willing to have a CA dude along Paul? The bike's still AZ plated.

Yea!!!! Jays back????

So is it official are you coming back to AZ?
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #1344
750Volts! OP
The M0ds here suck!

Oddometer: 441
Thanks Bob for the route info! If you have time for coffee some time let me know and we can meet you and buy you a cup of joe and pick your brain.

Tom thanks for the info on the mud. You are totally right I think in the land of 120 degree heat. That shiz won't be dry at all up there. I will keep you posted. When I get a better route plan I will let everyone know.

Jay, nice to see you back. you are always welcome. I hope you aren't melting. It's gotta suck leaving nice weather for this stuff.

Maybe I got a little ambitious. If Bob says it will take a week double that he rides twice my speed!
750Volts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #1345
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 138
It is all Big Bike Friendly or is it doable. Like NightStalker says "Technically Doable" The section I have on ridewithgps in blue is BBF the section in green is Doable. Rocky 2 track.
The road into Toroweep is car friendly as long as it doesn't rain. Like all of it,, If it rains it is going to be bad. The rains won't let up till mid Sept. and by october it may snow.

I would love to meet you for a drink.

Go to http://ridewithgps.com/users/61565/routes Sign in and go to my page. I have the full Toroweep trip in there.

NomorBills screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 05:47 PM
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #1346
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 124
Thanks guys.

Yup, I think we're coming back but probably won't be ready to make the official move until late in the year. Lots of details to work out.

In the mean time, I'll be watching for cool upcoming rides and try to sneak away to join in.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #1347
IBRiding
Blue Sky Black Death

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Thanks Bob for the route info! If you have time for coffee some time let me know and we can meet you and buy you a cup of joe and pick your brain.

Tom thanks for the info on the mud. You are totally right I think in the land of 120 degree heat. That shiz won't be dry at all up there. I will keep you posted. When I get a better route plan I will let everyone know.

Jay, nice to see you back. you are always welcome. I hope you aren't melting. It's gotta suck leaving nice weather for this stuff.

Maybe I got a little ambitious. If Bob says it will take a week double that he rides twice my speed!

From looking at Google maps it looks to be about 435 miles there. That should be doable in 3 days. Loren and I did the Devils highway with dirt thrown in and it was almost 700 miles and we did it in 2 days no problem.
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1348
Steezeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
This big ride sounds cool, I'm down if I'm not out of town, which I might well be.
Steezeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #1349
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
From looking at Google maps it looks to be about 435 miles there. That should be doable in 3 days. Loren and I did the Devils highway with dirt thrown in and it was almost 700 miles and we did it in 2 days no problem.
1 day max
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #1350
Canyonlandman
Stop, drop, and roll

Oddometer: 13
[QUOTE=cyberdos;21842359]There are a lot of misconceptions about the utilization of GPS'. A lot of old schoolers don't like them because they have a romantic view of a paper map world. I grew up routing on paper maps with my dad. I love paper maps but they are absolutely no match for a GPS. ""

All this trail talk getting me a lil bit agitated.
Im one of those old school paper maps guys, Id need to stop and put on reading glasses for either paper or digital.
So this is begs the question- What is the best five GPS units out there? and why?- kind of survey and opinion giving. ...

Canyon
Canyonlandman is offline   Reply With Quote