User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #211
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,184

VERY nice pics, CMC !!

It seems to me that this person ^^^^ is the subject of more of your photos than the wonderful scenery....
Hmmm, methinks you kinda like her....
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #212
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post

VERY nice pics, CMC !!

It seems to me that this person ^^^^ is the subject of more of your photos than the wonderful scenery....
Hmmm, methinks you kinda like her....
I'm just waiting for the moment she rides the wheels off that bike so that I can get the photo!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #213
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Laugh 4 day ride with no plan!

Natalie and I had a couple days to get out, which turned into 4. As for the packing, well, didn't do much of that either! Went lite (this time we did remember the tent) and laughed at all the things that we had left behind. The ride started out simple enough with our route going SE over USFS and county back roads to Maupin on the Deschutes River for a early dinner at the Oasis Cafe.

Then it was off to Shaniko & Antelope to were the fun starts! For dual sport riders this is a must do at some point so add it to your bucket list if you have not done it already. From HWY 218 we turned off on Cold Camp Rd. and headed South to the Intersection with Gosner Rd.

You can also start in Madras, OR with the Ashwood Rd. to Ashwood then pick up Gosner Rd. from there heading East. Just a note, the Gosner Rd. turns into a slime pit if it rains (parts of it) so go when it's dry! The views along this road are great.

When you get to Horse Heaven and go over the pass with the old Cinnabar mine on the South side of the road you'll come upon the "Can dump" with some great views to the East looking out over the John Day River canyon.

After you drop down into the Cherry Creek Ranch and come to the narrow part of the canyon watch for the rock fins on either side of Cherry Creek.

The next bit of fun comes with crossing Cherry Creek! If the water is high but it was low today!

Then it on to the John Day River.

There are two spots to spend the night next to the river at the Lower Burnt Ranch river access points, the up stream one has a nice beach with boaters most of the time, the lower one is some times a little less crowded.
Morning on the John Day!

After packing up and getting back on the bikes we headed up river to Priest Hole and then East on the Twickenham Rd. taking Girds Creek and HWY 207 into Mitchell.

Road into Mitchell and Crashclay had one thing on her mind, FOOD! So we stopped at the Bridge Creek Cafe for a late breakfast.

The owners of the Cafe are great with tons of knowledge of the local area. Also filled up with gas (Regular only) then it was off to the South.

We took USFS Rd. 8 (Upper Bridge Creek Rd.) then #22, #3010, #30 to #42 and Big Summit Prairie.

From here we just tried to find all of the smallest old roads we could to make our way to Wolf Mountain to the East.

Wolf Mountain Fire lookout,

Looking East to the South fork of the John Day river and Aldrich Mountains.

Now off to the South Fork.

You just have to love spots like this when you have no real plan, tons of stuff to see and all you have to worry about is where the next gas is!

Natalie checking out the map and thinking a little South fork tour is in order.

Came across a large heard of Mtn. sheep standing in the middle of the road, must have been almost 60 of them in the road alone with a lot of babies but they are "FAST" and before I could get stopped and the camera out they were a 100 feet above me!

So this was about it for day two of our ride and about all the time I can put towards our ride report for now, so we will be back with photo's of day 3 & 4 later!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #214
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

4 day ride with no plan, part 2

Okay, the start of day 3 we headed North from the John Day area just west of Prairie City on Kenney Forks Rd. (18) then Camp Creek Rd. to the Middle Fork of the John Day. Our goal was to take Rd. 45 over to Olive Lake with a side trip to Indian Rock fire lookout.

Going up Rd. 45

Getting close to Indian Rock, the road goes right up to about 7400' with some great views to the South.

The last few hundred feet to the Lookout is on foot but well worth it!

The woman that was on fire watch was great, even offered to take our photo.

When ever I can find the survey markers I will take a photo of them, the really fun thing about this one was it was covered in Lady Bugs. By the time I took my camera out all but one of them had flown off. The lady bugs were all over the place on the summit, it was kind of odd to see so many in a small area!

Back to the bikes, it was also about now that we started to take notice of the clouds building to the South. The woman at the fire lookout had told us that the weather report said they were not going to build today and be a problem!

heading North again on Rd. 45 with the clouds getting a little larger.

It was also about here that we stopped taking photo's and started riding a bit faster. All of the big black clouds that were not supposed to be there were getting bigger and blacker. We knew that another ADV member "Ladukebob" (AKA, Dan) and his wife were supposed be camping at Olive Lake and we still had about 12 miles to go!

Lucky for us they were there (Thank you)with tarp up and trailer! Because the big black clouds caught up to us with a good supply of thunder, lightning, hail and buckets of rain!

After about 35 minutes it stopped about as fast as it started.

Olive Lake after the storm!

After visiting for a while it was time to put a few more miles on today (thanks to the rain, no more dust!) in order to cut the next days mileage down a bit. Had to be home tomorrow and really did not want to be doing any of it at night!

So the next stop Dale, OR.for gas.... NOT! The deal was, the sign said "Open" but we where late by a little and they were very "Closed"

So back on the bikes and off to Ukiah.... And we were lucky, the older woman running the one pump gas station (Reg. gas but so what, the bikes still make it down the road with it!) was sitting there reading a book enjoying the evening, it was 7:30pm on a Saturday night!

Then it was time to head across the street to the only other place "Open" for food and a real good helping of beer & NASCAR with the locals, it was a party!

On or way out of town looking for a spot to call home and spend the night. Ukiah is right behind and to the left of Natalie's helmet.

So, we did find a home for the night, along with bugling Elk at 1:30am that we had to finally run off due to the fact that it was very close to the tent (30') and getting closer (we were down wind and it had no idea that we were there) and having been around Elk I did not want it any closer! They don't prance off like Bambee they run though the trees like a fright train... And we heard this guy for almost a minute after we turned the head lamp on him.
Then at 2:30am our tent was surrounded by coyotes (no joke!). That was the last straw, the party was over! Elk, Deer, Cows and a whole host of other critters I can handle at night but coyotes, no can do! So I let them know my feelings on their encroachment and they went away and we had a great night's sleep until the sun came up...

After packing up and getting ready to go Natalie was still in need of a little more rest I guess, found her napping as we were trying to get out of our camp site. Got to love Giant Loop Great Basin bags, they are like big pillows for your bike...

After I got "Crashclay" going, she was saying something about lack of coffee (one thing we forgot to pack)! Then we rode USFS Rd. 21 to the West.

To, yes, a wonderful oasis called "Morrow County OHV Park" Hay, it was lunch and they have "The Landing Lodge" with good food and cold drinks! If your in that neck of the woods stop buy, the people that run the place are great... They are "closed" (the Lodge) on Tuesday.

Then we headed North to Hardmen

And you kind of loose the shade and trees.

We wanted to stay off the pavement as long as possible so we headed to Lone Rock by way of Buttermilk Rd.

Made it to Lone Rock and the local jail.

And then went down the block to get a photo of the church & Lone Rock! Yes that is the only rock in town, or I should say the only "BIG" rock.

Leaving & headed West

Made it to Condon, OR. 106 degrees and warming up!

Next stop we made was at the John Day at Cottonwood Crossing, and I think about here is where it went over 110 deg. and everything was dry again about 30 miles down the road.

Anyway, that's just about it for this ride. 60 miles left to go and a couple stops for photo's

Craig McCurdy screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 07:35 AM
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #215
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Wow what a trip. And you are correct it should be added to everyones bucket list,Thanks.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #216
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,547
I always love the rides the two of you venture out on and appreciate you sharing them. This one has it all, flowers, ladybugs, great roads, beautiful scenery, interesting weather and meeting nice people along the way.

Keep the fun stuff coming.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #217
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,660
Not 5 minutes before those clouds opened up I was thinking to myself that if you guys were going to make an appearance now would be a good time Then I heard the familiar sound of the 950 chugging up the road. It was fun having you two in camp for a visit.

Great photos. I had to look up "Cinnabar" as I had never heard that word. I've just always known of that spot as the old Horse Heaven Mine and Ghost Town. So I learned a little more about that area this morning.

I'm hoping to make back over near Olive Lake this Fall on the bike to check out the town of Greenhorn which is the highest incorporated town in Oregon.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #218
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Another 3 day tour from Hood River

It's more like 2.5 days. It's still amazing to us just how far you can go in 7.5 hours even with a flat tire thrown in! The funny thing is we were just discussing flat tires at the PDX meet up the other night, jinx on us!

Luckily it was on Natalie's 650 with tubeless! One less nail on the WABDR.

It was a nice spot with shade and a bit of a view of Goat Rocks just before Walupt Lake & the fist stop since we left Hood River.

If you are wondering about what happened to sections 1 & 2 of the WABDR, we jumped over them as we had done them earlier and wanted to ride sections 3 & 4.

Flat fixed and the next stop at Walupt Lake.

From Walupt Lake to the town of Packwood the ride is though a tunnel of trees with cars, dust and wash board road. Buy the time we made Packwood at 5:00pm, we had decided it was time for a early dinner at Cliff Droppers (great burgers!)... And gas, oh ya, AIR (free, behind Chevron station) for a very low rear tire. "Note to self, buy a small 12 volt air pump and keep the small hand pump for a back up!"

Now you need to pull out your maps, from Packwood the WABDR jumps onto State HWY 12 for a push up over White Pass and down to Rimrock Lake. We made it to the left turn onto Bethel Ridge Rd. (1500). Just a word of warning, If you are a "Washboard connoisseur" this is your road!!! If you have any loose nuts & bolts you will find them or lose them on this climb. Or your mind, but that's hard to do if your already riding a dual sport!

Rimrock Lake below and Mt Adams to the South.

On the Bethel Ridge 324 Rd. (side note, look for the sign that says "Microwave Tower" the 324 Rd. sign is hiding.)

The low light was great but it was getting close to 8:00pm.

This was one of the nice sections of road going along the ridge!

Starting to get dark.

Okay, enough fun! Time to find a spot for the tent...

Found a great spot for the night, this was at about 5:30 in the morning with first light hitting Mt Adams, Goat Rocks and Rimrock Lake.

Happy bikes....

Just over 6000' so the first sunlight felt kind of good.

Checking out the maps. Don't forget to download GPS routes and maps of WA before you leave home! Hay, this is why is called "Adventure Riding"!

Right after packing up camp we started back into what turned us around last evening when we were looking for a camp site. Like all of us we were looking for a spot to camp and thinking a better one was just down the road but when we came up on this at dusk in the tree's (it was dark in here!) so we turned around and went back a couple hundred yards to the rim.

Would hate to try this when it's wet!

I would love to say some nasty things about 4X4's here but I won't because bikes can be just as guilty! But it would be nice if some people had some common sense and knew that it's this kind of stuff that get's roads gated & closed. Due to it's remoteness maybe not the case here???

Out of rut city and nice for a bit.

Then more fun! Where the 1400 Rd. cuts off to the left the wonderful world of rocks come back into play! Some great views also...

Go ahead, ask Natalie what she thinks of loose hardball and softball sized rocks I dare you! She was game though to find the limits of a G650GS, yup, found it, the loose steep downhill stuff, but she rode it out to the buzzer!

Looking NW, Rainer on the left.

They give you a couple of options here, "Super rattle" or just "Rattle and dust".

Looking down at the Naches River.

The last mile down to the Naches River, photo does not show it well but it's steep, loose & lots of fun! It's here that we figured out a few things we would like to change on the BMW handling wise

No more "steep and rocky" and a lunch stop with good food!

To keep our 3 day ride limit we turn and head West on 410.

Chinook Pass, looking East.

Mt Rainer and Tipsoo Lake.

Rainer from Reflection Lake.

Paradise Lodge

Then we got a real surprise and were able to sit on the side of the road and watch Mom and 2 cubs for about 20 minutes before they went into the tree's below us.

Packing up camp on Saturday morning.

Next stop Mt St Helens.

Road 26

Spirit Lake

The view from Smith Creek viewpoint.

From Windy Ridge.

Then it was back to Trout Lake around the North end of the Indian Heaven Wilderness for huckleberry milk shakes and then back to Hood River.

One last photo of Mt Adams to the North from the Trout Lake Valley.

Craig McCurdy screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 11:44 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #219
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

I got to see a black bear with twin cubs last Thursday at the West end of Johns Mill Rd.
I Hung out about 50 feet from the cubs, while I watched mom slowly circle around behind me.
She didn't seem too concerned, but my thumb stayed on the start button anyway.
The two cubs stood up on hind legs, very curious of me talking to them.
Then a fookin log truck came barreling down the hill, and sent one cub a few yards up a tree.
My first bear sighting for this year, and I get to see three at once

Oh yeah, nice report of a great trip, C&C...
Old 08-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #220
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Cool2 One more rider in the house!

You would think that with all the motorcycles around this house that my mountain bike riding son would have picked the motorcycle thing up years ago! Ya just can't make kids do things sometimes and it's never a good idea to push. But at 18 and a half and talking about it for two years he finally went and got his learners permit so that he could go and try it out and ride with me!

So in typical fashon for this house hold, I ran him up the nastiest little ride we have out our backdoor!

Mt Defiance, and he loved it!

Going up!

On top!

Maybe the Oregon backcountry route next summer after his first year off at college!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #221
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
So in typical fashon for this house hold, I ran him up the nastiest little ride we have out our backdoor!

Mt Defiance, and he loved it!
You gotta love that road up to Mt Defiance....
...or die trying

Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #222
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

One more ride!

We had to fit one more ride in before my son takes off for his first year at the University of Oregon. So off we went today to some old stomping grounds and great riding.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #223
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

BuMp.

What about this Eastern OR/WA ride I heard something about?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #224
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 506
Love the KLX, but then again I'm kind of partial. hehe Hit 15,500 miles on mine. Gassing it up the other day.

I haven't been riding it as much as I did the past 7 years, since I got this....

I know I know.... But it sure is fun when I do jump on the little green machine.

I just wish the wife would ride her bike......

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #225
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Ahhhh, so that's what it look's like with the stock tank on it! We have it in a box but for our rides that is where it's going to stay.