User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #91
estresco
Happy

Oddometer: 18
ADVrider Newby

Great pics! I live in Milwaukie and when Im not deployed Im trying to find new places and people to ride with. I just recently stumbled across ADVrider.com. I have been out to Hood River but never anyplace like where your riding. I have a 06 Buell XB12X, do you think my bike would handle the places your riding? I dont have knobby tires just the standard dual sport Pirelli Scorpion Sync's that come stock on my bike. I have been thinking of getting something more geared towards offroad riding but not sure what since I havent done a lot of dirt bike riding, although I ride the piss out of my quads in the moutains. Im going to be home end of June from my current deployment till mid Aug, maybe longer and would love to do some riding like your showing in your pics!
estresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #92
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,293

Very nice. It sure is good to see the flowers coming out again and things turning green - - - Now if only the snow would go away.

Keep the reports coming.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #93
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by estresco View Post
Great pics! I live in Milwaukie and when Im not deployed Im trying to find new places and people to ride with. I just recently stumbled across ADVrider.com. I have been out to Hood River but never anyplace like where your riding. I have a 06 Buell XB12X, do you think my bike would handle the places your riding? I dont have knobby tires just the standard dual sport Pirelli Scorpion Sync's that come stock on my bike. I have been thinking of getting something more geared towards offroad riding but not sure what since I havent done a lot of dirt bike riding, although I ride the piss out of my quads in the moutains. Im going to be home end of June from my current deployment till mid Aug, maybe longer and would love to do some riding like your showing in your pics!
Welcome, n00b !!

If you're back around this way by June 24th - 26th, THIS (click this link) will give you a great excuse to come to Hood River !!
Your Ulyses will be fine. On that bike, it's more about the rider; it's tough enough.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #94
estresco
Happy

Thanks, great to meet ya. Unfortunately I will not return from this deployment till June 28th, just going to miss that gathering. Im trying to fit in as much riding as possible as I can as I might be back out the door mid August. I am trying to plan a ride to see my friend in Greybull, WY, going through Lolo Pass, working my way through Yellowstone, down through the Tetons and back through Boise.
Another of my offroading friend found out about the WBDR and he wants to try and do the first leg of it, but Im not sure how my XB12X will do. I am looking at getting a bike geared for more true DUAL SPORT riding, but I am pretty new to the dual sport scene and have no idea what I good bike would be. My XB12X is a great bike but really is geared more towards the slab then towards the gravel, sand, or muddy terrain. I have taken it offroad a few times and when I hit sand it really had problems with that small front tire and when I hit some gravel it liked to wonder all over the road.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #95
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,384
So, when is this weather going to change just a little? We go from having nice sunny almost 70 degrees back to 36 in the mountains. Starting on the 2nd of June the Mt Hood Cycling Classic (bicycle race) starts. One of the mountain stages runs right up into the middle of the Cascade Range East of the Hood River Valley near Lost Lake. This year the race organizers have had to go in and plow snow out of a large section of the course. We could not pass up the chance to check it out today. most years this would be bear pavement by now!

Not this year!

They have one week until they will run around 300 racers on bicycles up this road! should be fun...
We also made a short stop at Lost lake, and for all the Northwest locals they have also plowed out the road and the store and boat rentals are open for business.

After riding through snow, cold and drizzle we thought we would change it up a bit and head East. Riding about fourty minutes we ended up with this, sunny, in the sixties and flowers.

But as we headed back to Hood River it was getting a little cloudy and dark. One last stop for a another photo of the Columbia River. As for now they are calling for rain the next few days with a chance of clearing near the middle of the week that might last for awhile! Maybe....
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #96
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Black Dog Rally 2011

Went for a ride with a few hundred riders today, The 2011 Black dog Rally here in Hood River. It was a great ride with SUN and clear sky's! With rides like this some times it's hard to get many photo's but here are just a few.

And it looks like we are going to have one more sunny day!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #97
estresco
Happy

Great pics! Looks like a lot of fun, making me homesick and jonesing for my bike! Only a few more weeks. Looks like the weather is getting nicer, hopefully you'll get more days like that to ride.
2001 Warrior 350
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #98
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Day two of the Black Dog Rally. One more great day of sun and riding this time crossing over to the Washington side of the Columbia River and doing a short loop (70 plus miles) for the people wanting to stick to the forest roads and another loop on the Oregon side for the trail riders.

One of the first stops was the summit of Nestor Peak on the WA side loop.

This is looking south to Mt Hood, back in Oregon.

And then North towards Mt Adams.

So, can you name the ADV rider in the red coat?

Bear Creek canyon.

After lunch in Carson WA, it was a short run back to the finish so a short side trip was thrown in to visit a section of the old mill flume that ran from Willard down to the Columbia River, It was used to move rough cut lumber.

It also has another claim to fame, anyone know what it is? It involved a dog and a young boy!!! You can check out more about the Broughton Lumber Flume at

http://broughtonlogflume.blogspot.com/

If you guessed Lassie, you got it!

But that was just one, here the list of the others.
Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar 1967
Lassie, Ride the Mountain 1967
Sometimes a Great Notion (Paul Newman) 1971
Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #99
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,293
but who's in the red coat?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #100
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
but who's in the red coat?
Okay, so do you know who owns the "Red coat " and your just making sure? Or are you asking who is in the "Red coat" and have no idea? You have made a comment on one of his photos in the past!

It's the one and only "Squishy" here on ADV!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #101
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

for all the riders here in the gorge you can make it to the North Lake, Mt Defiance trail head on road 2820 and then a wall of snow! still about a mile shy of Rainy Lake.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #102
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Some days we get to mix work and fun together!

It's that time of year again when people start going for hikes in the woods and having medical problems and yes, worse and we get to go for hikes and get them out! Some times we even get to use toys as pack mules...

Mark loading his pack horse back up. He even had a snow shovel in all that stuff

North lake, And no, we did not ride to this spot! Some things you still have to do by foot... To much snow all so!

18 minutes from my door to trail head in the middle of the Cascade Range, not to bad for about 12 miles of mountain roads.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #103
Craig McCurdy OP
BIGMAC

Laugh Not right out the backdoor but close!

Well, last Wed. CrashClay and I headed out to join in the fun at the Wallowa gathering in North East Oregon and do a little riding. Let me just say that a lot about this gathering and any gathering of adventure riders really can not be put into words and must be experienced. When you ride in areas like this with a group of people that all ride for pretty much the same reason it makes you understand why ADV has followers around the world! Riders of all walks and races become one when thrown together to explore on bikes.

This is why we all ride!

Yes, it's really not only about riding but there are days when the landscape makes you understand why we ride and come together to share what we experience.

Sure, I could put names and locations on all the photo's but does it really matter? So just enjoy for no other reason than the ride!

Hells Canyon and the Snake River

This one is unusual due to the fact that it is of Crash and I both in the same photo!

Now this is about the point in the trip where CrashClay found a large rut in the road after coming out of a corner. Just for clarification the nick name came to her many years ago!

Again, the ADV family comes through and after a call to Ladybug she came to the rescue with her truck to retrieve one intact motorcycle and one not intact rider. Also a BIG thank you to everyone that stayed until bike and rider were on their way back to town.

Everyone has seen this "All the gear all the time" and this time it paid off due to the fact that it could have been much worse!
After a visit to the very nice Wallowa Hospital and a few X-rays, CrashClay walked out (yes, walked out) with a nice new sling and a fractured Scapula.

So, no riding for six weeks

More story telling and good times!

More friends at the fire.

late into the night

It was a great weekend even with a unplanned trip to the hospital, we took the long way home just for fun! And again, thanks to all that helped Natalie at the scene of her unplanned dismount.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #104
estresco
Happy

Great photos! Thanks for sharing! I cant wait...only a week left till Im home on R&R. I already ordered a MT60 for my front and a TKC80 for the rear for my XB12X so I can play with you bad boys off the slab! I signed up for the NW Adventure Ride for July 23 and really looking forward to it!
2001 Warrior 350
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #105
ozmikl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
And to think a couple of years ago I just belted through inland OR as I wanted to spend a few more days at Yosemite, dick head me..... Loved your coast though.
I will be back one day although it is getting a bit late for it this year so I will aim for next.
Michael

Ducati ST2 Dual Sport Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post14187216

Do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs sit up all night contemplating if there really is a Dog?
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote