Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,119
Bike trouble, Nakidness, Semis, & Streetbikes

From Baja, Mike and Don

Well let me tell you how I got into this. About ten years , I was 63 then, I told some riders from back east that I'd get my six bikes running, and we'd all ride them down to Guerrero Negro, and go see the whales in Scammon's Lagoon.

Well, that ride went pretty well. About a year ago I got high on life one day, and invited folks again to do a ride to Baja on my five bikes.

Anyway, I couldn't get my 5 bikes all running and licensed, so I called off the trip that was to happen on April 21 of '14.....but Don Goldston contacted me, and said that he had his own bike, and couldn't we go anyway.

Yeah, we could go anyway, so a plan was hatched. We'd meet in Westmoreland Ca, at a friend of mine's house, and go down to San Felipe the first day.

We had a week so we'd travel slow and take in Coco's Corner, Bajia Los Angeles, the Meling's Ranch, Coyote Cal's and parts inbetween....all the tourist things for a new comer to Baja.

Mike Daugherty from LA signed on as well. He's be riding his new to him KLR650, While Don and I would be on Street bikes, an '05 FJR1300 and me on my old trusty Honda.

Ordinarily you don't take street bikes to Baja, but now that the pavement south of San Felipe is thru to below Gonzaga Bay, that would leave us only about 35 miles of dirt road to get back on the pavement at Hwy 1. How hard could that be???

We would probably set a record with the first FJR to Coco's corner if we made it that far.

p.ratfab@gmail.com

Ratman screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 09:13 AM
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
I'm in for the Sabre...
Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
I'm in for the Sabre...
That's funny. You find those V4s in the strangest places.

.......More TR on the way.....
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Sabre85
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Loaded for Baja!

Looks like that V65 mule is packing enough gear to make it to the tip of Baja, Pete. Looking forward to future installments of the adventure.
Sabre85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
ziggystardust
WannaB

Oddometer: 275
Subbed

Ziggystardust........living in fear
ziggystardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
thinairflyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I'm in Pete! What happened to the big side bags? Going soft and moteling it? :-)

L D in CO
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
tday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I'm up for a good story Pete. Count me in.
tday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Prelim to crossing into Baja

The bikes in question... BTW, Don's had his FJR for several years and has put 30000 miles on it. When he first got the bike there was a time that it went to running on 2 cylinder. At that time he looked for a wiring problem but never found anything.

Now 3 days before he left Co he also had a short burst of 2 cylinder running. He cleaned off the plug on his CPU in hopes of curing the problem...It ran good so far from Co to the bike shop....Don has his fingers as we ride into Mexico for his first time.

From Baja, Mike and Don

Man oh man, I don't like this new Google map format...used to be they would give a different letter to indicate selected locations, then I could indicate a letter when I was talking about a place. Grrrrr! sigh.....

Here is the interactive map of the trip south to LA Bay where you can zoom into all the significant places Where we were....such as the hot springs on the waters edge at Puertocitos....or Meling's Ranch,

https://goo.gl/maps/sAZb4 or

From Baja, Mike and Don

And this interactive map is for the return trip to just north of the border on the trip back to the USA at Tecate.

https://goo.gl/maps/3shp6 or
From Baja, Mike and Don

My whole trip for the 5 days in Mexico was only about 1000 miles, and that included to and from my house. I like shorter day rides, and lots of puttsing around looking at places.

Don on the Other hand made a 900 mile trip from Parker Co (near Denver) into nearly double that while he wore out his tires on every curved road he could find along the way.

Mike had a slightly longer ride from Tujunga just a little north of Los Angeles, but it felt much longer as he was riding on a Dual Sport seat.

Anyway we all made our connection at Steve's house in Westmoreland. A word about Steve. Steve is that guy that knows everyone that you know and more. Steve lives in the out of the way place of all out of the way places, but everyone going within 50 miles of his place stops there to catch up on what's happened to anyone that you know, and haven't heard from in years. That's why I picked his place for the meetup.

I got there a little early, about 11am, and learned all about folks. I asked him if John Wright was in Baja at Gonzaga Bay was in Gonzaga now. He said he was. Cool we would stop there ....maybe get a fishing trip out of it.

I also learned that John has a new GF from a camp a little south of San Felipe....how about that? Who knows, maybe we'll meet the new gal friend. Other gossip included who is sick and who has died. Remember now we are geesers, me and John.

Mike and Don soon arrived. Trip talk began in earnest. Don said that his FJR's rear tire was 250 miles new when he left Denver, but the 1600 miles on the way to Steve's had just about worn it out. It was a Metzler A6, and Don didn't feel like doing the rocky road past Coco's Corner with that tire.

El Centro has a decent all bike shop so we said goodbye to Steve, and went to that bike shop hoping that we could get a new tire put on in a hurry. The shop was great and if we'd take the wheel off they would mount and balance it while we waited. We were out of there in an hour.

.......now for the Mexico part of this TR

p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre85 View Post
Looks like that V65 mule is packing enough gear to make it to the tip of Baja, Pete. Looking forward to future installments of the adventure.
That's light for me, Sabre85.

Quote:
I'm in Pete! What happened to the big side bags? Going soft and moteling it? :-)

L D in CO
Busted, I didn't sleep under the stars even one night, LD. I'm traveling slow with a fast crowd on this trip.

From moto trailer
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Here ya go...classic google maps

https://www.google.com/maps?output=classic

I can't stand the new one either
Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,569
Pre-warn me before you show pics of naked old geezers. I'm looking forward to everthing but that.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Finally into Mexico

Now we have good tires all around. Don got a street tire put on, but traction in the dirt wasn't likely to be a problem. He just wanted more rubber between his rims and any rocks.

Next it was off to Mexicali where we'g get insurance and change some money to pesos. That went smoothly, and finally we crossed into Mex at about 4pm.

Most of you know that the 20 miles of sprawling border town traffic is the most nervous part of these Baja rides. Anything from poorly signed detours to crazy drivers to renegade police trying to make a quick buck is possible.

I have to say that I haven't had any crooked copper encounters in 30 years or more, but it's always possible. So we dodged everything in town and drew closer to the Rio Hardy area about 35 miles from the border. I began to breath easier as we zoned in on our ride to San Felipe.

You've all seen picture of the mud flats on the way south from Calexico. Just so you'll know Cal-exico is a combo of California and Mexico (American side I think) and Mexi-cali is the reverse on the Mexican side.

We cruised on south in 100 degree temps. Crap, it was hot. The bikes ran great. I led the way and held the speed down to an actual 65 in honor of Mike's KLR. Turned out I didn't need to as he was good for another 10mph.

I hoped it would cool down next to the water.....and it did. It dropped 10 degrees when we got to the road in front of the Bay at SF (San Felipe).

We hadn't eaten for a while so we went to Rice and Beans on the Malicon. R&B is so good in San Ignacio that I thought it would be the same here, but the fish taco dinners we had there left us unimpressed. We should have gone to the open seating booths at the south end of the Malicon. Oh, well....

About 7pm we rode up to Ki Ki's RV park. Ki Ki's is right on the beach with 2 story shades and 10 or so motel rooms. We all had sleeping bags for emergencies, but this trip was to be motels and cafes, no camping. The sleeping bags were for dire conditions. I know I'd miss the stars and campfires.

KI KI wanted 65 bucks for a 2 bed room. We got them down 5 bucks. I blew my air mattress up with my exhaust pipe, and threw it down on the floor. We'd gotten some beer earlier. We BSed for a while. I got to know Don a good deal better, then went to sleep.

Don was up at the crack of dawn. He walked down to for coffee. That's quite a ways. I was impressed. Go Don. He even brought me a cup of coffee back.....well, half of it arrived.

We soon were ready to leave. I halted everyone at the driveway exit, and asked if anyone had the room key in their pocket. I'm not usually that on the ball, but I was this time. I was assured that the key had been left in the room. OK, off to the gas station.

And then it was off south toward Puertocitos. We'd planed to eat at a place out front of El Virgel Campo some 30 miles to the south. We stopped for breakfast....

From Baja, Mike and Don

Note the truck with Mexican bricks on it. A pickup just stopped by and they hand offloaded a yard of bricks. Looks like that was the first unloading. So I'm guessing the truck load was parked there yesterday. Note the one missing tire near the front, and the already low tire at the back. That's Mexico.....I kinda like it.

From Baja, Mike and Don

So El Virgel is where John Wright and his dad have a beach house, but I decided there was no use going to see if he was there because Steve said he'd be at his place in Gonzaga. It was only a 1/4 mile away but I didn't want to risk the 100 yards of 3" deep sand for summat that was likely to be for naught.

So we ate and during breakfast Don Said, "guess what I found in my pocket"? as he holds up Ki Ki's room key #12. We got a good laugh out of that. There was a Mexican couple out front sitting in a car. I asked them if they'd take the key and give it to Ki Ki. They said they would....problem solved.

So we continued south thru the Zone of Vado (dips) that is between there and Puertocitos. Last time I counted there were 42 of then in the next 15 miles, and some have taken the oil pans out of cars when under estimated.

Next stop will be the Cow Paddy.....

p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Pre-warn me before you show pics of naked old geezers. I'm looking forward to everthing but that.

You'll be ok, Ladybug. I only have what Don told me about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Here ya go...classic google maps

https://www.google.com/maps?output=classic

I can't stand the new one either
Thanks, Jocassee, I've book marked that...hope it's available for the long run.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Zone of Vados

It's been a few years since I've been thru the dip zone, and much to my surprise and approval, the Vados have been smoothed out. Some are even gone as they've put in a few culverts. The one's that might launch you, if unnoticed, can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

I wanted to show Don & Mike the Cow Paddy bar. Mike had never been below John Wrights place at Campo El Virgel, so now we were into new country for both the guys.

Along the way....

From Baja, Mike and Don

Looking the other way...
From Baja, Mike and Don

BTW, it was 85ish today. Perfect for Baja as we pulled into the Cow Paddy. I usually leave from San Felipe and always catch the CP around 10am. Being a Beer and hot dog joint, I don't often see them open for business, and today was no different.

From Baja, Mike and Don

The door was open....but only for the gal who was cleaning up for the afternoon crowd. It's an interesting place with many pictures of the old days and local folks who've gained honorable mention.

From Baja, Mike and Don

Every wall inside looks like this. You can spend sometime looking at all the lore or the area.

From Baja, Mike and Don

We talked to Brandy, the lady in charge. She lived in a campo a few miles to the north. She mentioned that her Sweety lived 55 miles away at Gonzaga. I asked who that was. Small world moment.....she said his name was John Wright.

From Baja, Mike and Don

What's more, she said that he was up here working on a transmission at his and his dad's beach place at Campo El Virgel. Damn, I wished I had known, it would have been great to get a housing tour of a typical beach house setup for Don. Maybe next time.....

So it was on to Puertocitos and the ocean front hot springs. Some 20 years ago the person who ran the Puertocitos campo died and their kin took over. They doubled everyone rent and started charging to get into the hot springs. Grrrr.

Here's the beautiful bay in front of Puertocitos.

From Baja, Mike and Don

The tide was in by a third. When it's out the water level is way out to the end of the rocks on the left.

From Baja, Mike and Don

Being a cheap SOB, I hated the price increase. The hot springs had always been free. The hot springs are almost unusable at low tide as the hot springs pools are too hot without the cold water of the bay mixing in. They are located out on the tip of the rocks on the left side of the bay on the Sea of Cortez side of the rocks.

We paid up and went for a soak. The pool we are in is being fed hot water from the pool above, and that is sea water on our left. There are several other larger pools higher up in the rocks that the tide will get to at high tide.

From Baja, Mike and Don

There's no changing room so I went in in my jeans as I knew they would dry out quickly at 60 mph once back on the bikes.

We were soon underway again. BTW, I built the worlds ugliest dune buggy back in 1972. It now is alive and well at one of the houses in Puertocitos. I don't know just where it is, but Steve told me it's there....you know, the guy who knows everything. LOL

Did you ever see an uglier buggy?

From Baja, Mike and Don

The old buggy (Named the Rusty Bucket) was rebuilt at least 3 time over the years. Steve, on the left, was the last to do it, and about a year ago he sold it to his friend in Puertocitos. Iconic things have a way of getting around.

From Baja, Mike and Don

We'll get to Gonzaga pretty soon....
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
Jocassee
Petrolhead

Always a fan of taking road bikes to ridiculous places. I have had my SV650S and ZRX1200 over ground no street bike should have to see, LOL. Loving it so far!