User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #31
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,116
22 December 2010 midweek intermediate ride report

a few of us headed out to Mt Mee for an intermediate ride, a few gnarly trails but more intermediate as the speed was up a bit. Strummer has started a thread called caterpillar tracks for these rides that are either faster and/or have tougher sections. these are still open to everyone, but always chat with the organiser first to see if you'll be comfortable with the ride - everyone is always happy to wait for slower riders, but don't risk injury by pushing the envelope too much if you are still a dirt rider newbie.

plenty of rain was forecast but somehow we avoided most of it, only running into light showers here and there. crash of the day goes to derek, who overshot a corner and somehow his bike did a flip in the air and landed on him without causing any injuries, but then a WR250 doesn't weigh much.

mark propelled his dr650 along at a rate that seemed way too fast for such a big lump of softly sprung metal! ben was out for his second ride and nipped along at a good pace, looking very confident despite the mud.

this was a mid-week ride so it was very tempting to text a few people and see if they were having fun at work. if anyone is a shift worker, and can take days off then it may be worth subscribing to this thread:

SE Qld midweek rides anyone?

thanks for the ride guys, and hope everyone has a great xmas!

B1 screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 02:20 PM
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #32
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Nice work Barry. I especially like the scene where you are "parting the waters" Great shot... and I think I saw dust too.... must be seeing things...

Rob
Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Merry Christmas to all Snail Trailers!

Old 12-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #34
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068

Beautiful video Barry. A pleasure to watch.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #35
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,157
Hey all, I have added some more videos at the bottom of the first post in this thread. Click on page 1, you should see all the videos in the one grouping.

You can also subscribe to my Youtube channel (see the link below).

Cheers!

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #36
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

hi all
dont know if it will get too messy, but figured we would start the new year with listing any planned ride for the new year on just one thread:

Snail Trail rides in SE Queensland for 2011

then we can actually start a new thread in the "australia" section here where we can discuss, plan the ride and post piccies etc afterwards.

have a go at organising a ride, the key organiser(s) from last year are taking a well-earned break (and great job too!).

it might help to just use personal messages for talking with just one or three other members, but certainly post messages on the thread if your message applies to everyone. hopefully we can keep it easy to follow, without making everyone feel they cant have a bit of a gasbag on the thread

B1 screwed with this post 01-15-2011 at 11:35 PM
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #37
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Caterpillar Tracks 5

Strummers video of the latest Caterpillar Tracks (intermediate level) ride
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

hi all,
i posted this elsewhere but thought i'd put it here so that everyone sees it. seems to be a lot going around about a cop blitz coming up. there are a few silly little things you can get booked for that have nothing to do with safety, most of you will know these but i don't want anyone getting caught out if fairly new to dirt biking...

REAR MUDGUARD EXTENSION
when new, your bike should have had an extension to the rear mudguard, that should at least come down to an imaginary line drawn at 45 degrees from your rear axle. if you trim it, or remove it, you'll be pinged. you also need to have a rear reflector somewhere on the rear of your bike too, facing to the rear ($78 and one point from memory). i've heard the legislation allows for an 80kg weight on the seat before measuring the extension, but haven't been able to confirm.Bit's easy to make an extension from alloy sheeting, bolt it on, and stick a tiny reflector on from supercheap auto.

REGO PLATE
also make sure your rego plate isn't too horizontal, e.g. no more than 45 degrees from vertical.

REGO LABEL
those little plastic cylinders to hold your rego label are a bookable item, even if it spins. you can't stick it on to your forks or any part of the bike, legally it has be in a rego label holder.

MIRRORS
make sure you have both mirrors on your bike when riding to the dirt for 1986+ models etc?

if you are a real glutton for punishment you can read the legislation for most of this stuff here: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...99/99SL213.pdf

B1 screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 05:57 PM
Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #39
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

7th March 2011 ride report, vid and pics

RIDE REPORT BY STRUMMER:
Grey clouds were looming over Glasshouse as we arrived at the rest area to unload bikes from trailers, gear up, meet new riders and re-connect with those we already knew.

Johnnok (Barry), Mick D, Sandy Lane, Strumms, Matt71, MartinD, and Afterdark were the turnout of the regulars.
Joined today by new inmate Zack on his second ever dirt ride! From another forum, Mel and Jason were along for the ride, tasting the delights of Snail Trails for the first time. Stujamur and co. were there too, but some late arrivals meant they would miss the start of our ride, and sadly we didn't get a chance to catch up on the trails. Catch you next one guys!

A nice slow start to get our bearings lead onto our first little gnarley section.
It was a little slippery and rutted, but full credit to Zack for tackling it with gusto. A few drops were experienced by a couple of folks, but they would not be the last for the day!

A few runs through a small gully, some more slippy stuff, a couple of creek crossings and some whoopdees saw everyone begin to loosen up and enjoy themselves. Mick shared some great skills with the group and once again ran sweep for the entire ride... Thanks mate, awesome job as usual, and soooo patient!

A couple of firsts today for Sandy
1. First real wheelie (by accident but we wont go into that)
2. First real log hop (35 - 40 cm high, so not too shabby).

Matt and I enjoyed a little blat through Range road and had big grins while we waited for the crew to catch up. Smiles all around actually, that is an inspiring track! Lunch at Peachester and a quick photo op for the nice young lady on a sportsbike Then Afterdark peeled off for an early one. And Mel and Jason were forced to retire early with Mels broken brake lever. Top job girl, you had an awesome attitude! More challenging tracks, some easy cruise sections, lots of laughs and several more lay downs and before we knew it we were back at the carpark. Total rain for the day? NIL Thanks one and all for a great day out, and the beauty of it is.... We get to do it all again in two weeks time

click on the photo below for the slideshow:

if you want to download any pics, click here. then "file"then "download"....
Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

12 March 2011 Adventure ride - Boonah, Killarney, Legume

A ride a bit more on the typical adventure style - around half dirt road and the rest back roads where possible. Met Boonah at 9am then headed south on dirt roads toward NSW. Beautiful views and country side, as an added plus they were laying new dirt down, you can see us in the photo below waiting for the grader to finish making our new motocross track...

unfortunately each time we climbed brilliant roads up the ranges we hit light rain and thick cloud so couldnt see the views or really cut loose, but still fun and just means we'll have to go back on a cloudless day.

i fully demonstrated my gps noob talents by messing up the route, but thanks to ian for impromptu leading when i had no idea where we were going ("we are stil in the southern hemisphere right?").

i'll organise this one again for clear weather. the ride from brisbane is incredibly boring, so i'll work out a much more scenic route from brisbane to boonah, and also some options from anyone coming from up north if you are up for an early start!

thanks to TK for sweep riding, i think he actually enjoys his thing with the broom (or maybe he just likes wearing that fluro orange jacket?) but i figure we gotta take our hat off to anyone who volunteers for sweep duties. he has the toolkit of doom for anyone who breaks down (or breaks something) and at times will be helping riders new to dirt riding along the way. onya!

click on the photo below for the slideshow. or here to download pics:

Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #41
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

19 March 2011 Snail Trails ride report, vid and pics

not much in the way of photos or videos due to all the rain. but click the photo below for the slideshow, or click here to download any pics.

and here's the video. excuse the weird soundtrack, its just something i recorded with a few mates a while back, and you avoid the youtube ads if you use your own muzak!

RIDE REPORT BY STRUMMER
Well, far out... What a day!It was looking pretty good when I woke up at 5am this morning. There had been no rain overnight, so it looked like the bureau may have just been covering their arses!Woohoo, I said. Then we had a bit of a downpour around 6. Ah well, so not a perfect day out....

I got to the meet point 20 minutes early, only to find that I just about snapped up the last parking space!! I didn't do a head count at the start (maybe TK did?), but I reckon we must have had close to 40 starters. A good turnout considering the forecast for the day.
After the usual ride briefing, we headed off on some medium easy trails, with a mostly experienced crew.

A few obstacles and a creek crossing took us to our first practice area for the day. A gully with moderately steep sides.Mickd did a bit of a skills demo, and then a few new riders tried their hand, to great success.
Up to this point, no rain. But it was coming, slowly but surely.

By the time we reached the Beerwah area, it was bucketing down, and after tackling the ST101 clay hills, we all decided to return to the rest area for a bbq. Too much carnage, and a few broken bits on more than one bike. And the weather looked to be getting worse by the minute. We had actually only done 10% of the planned tracks, but the slippery conditions and diversity of experience levels meant that we had to play it safe, so the more technical sections were avoided. Apologies for any disappointment!!! (Sandy Lane)

On the way back I turned around to see who was following me.... no one. Ooops, better stop and wait. So I pulled over and suddenly 20 bikes appeared out of the mist. They had been there all along! Man, was the visibility bad!

But at least the crummy weather gave us all a chance to bask in the warmth of a bbq snag, and some excellent company. I felt a bit sorry for the backpackers who had had the shelter area to themselves before we turned up. But hey, I offered them the last sausage!!

So cheers to all the brave souls who ventured out on this rain soaked ride, you all earned the snag, the birthday cake and the Snail Trails sticker.It was excellent to meet some new faces from two different forums, and to catch up with those we haven't seen for a while.

THANKS TO:

Peter GG for bringing the esky, bbq, birthday cake and beers (very welcome indeed)
Lupine128 for patiently sweeping all day long
Mickd for the excellent tips you shared with us
Derek, Rod, Mick and all the other mid pack helpers
Barry for taking the photos and video
Boo for turning the snags (and saving the burntest one for me)
Husaberg for making bikes that bounce really well

Lets do it all again soon, hopefully with less of the liquid sunshine.

PS Happy birthday for tomorrow Mick
Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #42
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Snial Trials anyone?

a few of us are seriously thinking of diversifying a bit into trials bikes so popped down today to watch the Logan River Trials mob doing their thang near Beaudesert. Will we call it Snial Trials if it actually happens? Who knows... Click on the pic below for the slideshow.

B1 screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 01:26 AM
Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #43
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

anyone like to lead a snail trails ride?

is anyone interested in leading a snail trails ride? the usual organisers are taking a break so hopefully it can be spread around a bit! it's pretty easy to do, especially if you limit the group size (e.g. 5 to 10 riders).

if you find the organisational side of it on the forum a hassle, i'm happy to do that side of it for you. all you need to do then is show up on the day and have a reasonable idea of where you want to go. it doesn't matter if you don't know the state forests all that well, with the cornering system you can just go exploring. if interested just PM me.

if you want to organise the whole thing, just go to this thread:
Snail Trail rides in SE Queensland for 2011

you can just cut and paste the text from one of the rides there and edit it for your ride. then start a new thread in the "australia" section here and link to it. all questions, discussions etc take place there.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #44
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

new speed cameras on bruce highway if heading to glasshouse mountains

there are two new speed cameras on the bruce highway if heading to glasshouse mountains from brisbane. at some point they'll start timing as well, so even if you slow down at the cameras the elapsed time will ping you. cant seem to get precise info on the location, in fact they might even be north of the glasshouse mountains but figured it was worth mentioning. more info here.

probably not an issue as most of us trundle up there at the speed limit but worth keeping in mind if you are running late to meet up and hit the pedal a bit harder...
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #45
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

ride report: rainbow beach ride aug 2011

great three day ride organised by mcfear... it took 8 hours riding from bris through dayboro, bellthorpe, jimna, conondale, imbil then cooloola way. z had his intro to slippery mud riding in jimna, i think he had fun...

the beach was fun, and especially some of the inland tracks in the national park. surprised at the DR650's ability is soft sand... as long as you kept a fair bit of stick in second gear it was easy to handle. but a pig once you slow down and the wheels dig in!

we were pretty buggered by the third day so just road down the beach to the ferry at tewantin, then mainly slabbed back on the highway. four days would be ideal i reckon, as we'd have the energy to do the long ride back via the state forests again.
click on the pic below for a slideshow of the pics:

B1 screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 01:06 PM