ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #286
Motor2of7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Glad to hear it worked good for you. I haven't ridden any organized rides sine I got my Voyager last year. You just hand them your SD card when you check in and they download the tracks, right?
Yup. Just put the SD card in the USB adapter they provide and hand it to the ride coordinator. Ask for GPX files. Then put the SD card back in the Voyager and import the file. The routes provided on this ride were also labeled when the hard/easy splits came up.

Once the pin is pulled, Mr. Handgrenade is not our friend.
Motor2of7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #287
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 103
Any idea if Trailtech has an updated version in the works ?
I love the idea, but it really seems a bit dated as far as electronics go. Three years with no updates is a long time. The price is good, but the gps apps on my phone have gotten a lot better in the last 3 years, so it's hard to justify replacing my vapor vs. adding a waterproof case for my phone.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #288
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
Any idea if Trailtech has an updated version in the works ?
I love the idea, but it really seems a bit dated as far as electronics go. Three years with no updates is a long time. The price is good, but the gps apps on my phone have gotten a lot better in the last 3 years, so it's hard to justify replacing my vapor vs. adding a waterproof case for my phone.
Dated electronics? Please explain. It is designed to be a simple unit that records and displays .gpx files. It isn't designed to be a fancy GPS. The market is flooded with those anyway. The Voyager will record tracks much more accurately than the Motion X App on my iPhone. No comparison. It is set up to deal with .gpx files much better than a smart phone too, I think. For what it is, there is nothing better. If you require a full-featured GPS, this is not for you.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #289
n1tr0
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 103
The market is definitely not flooded with gps equipped motorcycle dashboards. I know it's limitations, which is why I'm hoping there's an upgraded version in the works.

It's gps capabilities remind me of the Garmin I had 12 years ago. Even the Rino's from 6 years ago had the ability to add street maps and do some basic route generation and turn-by-turn guidance. I usually have to put on 40-140 miles before I hit the hit the dirt.
The Voyager might be the best at what it does, being the only one that does it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a ton of room to improve.
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #290
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
The market is definitely not flooded with gps equipped motorcycle dashboards. I know it's limitations, which is why I'm hoping there's an upgraded version in the works.

It's gps capabilities remind me of the Garmin I had 12 years ago. Even the Rino's from 6 years ago had the ability to add street maps and do some basic route generation and turn-by-turn guidance. I usually have to put on 40-140 miles before I hit the hit the dirt.
The Voyager might be the best at what it does, being the only one that does it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a ton of room to improve.
You completely missed my point, but yes I understand what you are looking for. Also, the chipset in the Voyager is far more advanced than any 12 year old Garmin.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #291
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
You completely missed my point, but yes I understand what you are looking for. Also, the chipset in the Voyager is far more advanced than any 12 year old Garmin.
Good point. Also one would never get a fullfeatured all in one device for such amount of money.
The voyager in my opinion is a perfect design and could very well be used hand in hand with an autorouting device if needed. That's what I do in case I need road guidance.
Several issues (like GPX compatibility and some others) have been resolved with latest firmware releases. Very well done! Usability optimized. Also they brought the awesome tachbar screen which makes me even more lament about the tach reading issue reported by several users. However, to me that is not a showstopper for this great device, it is just something I miss at my high revving WR250R.

Phil

UPDATE
: asking for an updated design in my opinion would definitely mean bringing the smart tablet to the dirtbike by using a rugged design, suitable screen and everything under control of automotive apps for tracking, routing, roadbook, tripmaster, vehicle data, data recording, ... in connection with external switches (tripmaster switch and any other buttons being reachable from handlebar position, connecting all those vehicle sensors), maybe even without a need for wiring all these, just by bluetooth connectivity or whatever. I believe these things are being worked on, and some may already be available, but I did not realize anybody would bring this to dirtbike level as like trail-tech did with the voyager. I am absolutely sure there is a big market for this. It could finally make all that bulky oldstyle roadbook equipment and stuff look totally outdated. I would for instance love a tripmaster/roadbook app letting the rider add his private notes and marks to the roadbook data by just drawing it and/or writing on the touchscreen.
heck... that sounds like a pretty good advanced crowdfunding project :)

flatboarder screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 03:49 AM Reason: See UPDATE on article
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #292
Cattledog1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
This question might have already been asked but here it is anyway.

Does the Trail Tech Voyager have a reset able trip meter like my stock KTM computer?
You know, up, down, reset, for dual sport/turkey run route sheets ?
And a non resetable trip for gas mileage.

And does it have thumb controls for controlling the computer functions??

The stock KTM computer is legit, it just needs a bigger screen.

Cattledog1969 screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 02:12 PM Reason: mistake
Cattledog1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #293
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog1969 View Post
This question might have already been asked but here it is anyway.

Does the Trail Tech Voyager have a reset able trip meter like my stock KTM computer?
You know, up, down, reset, for dual sport/turkey run route sheets ?
Yes
Quote:
And a non resetable trip for gas mileage.
yes
Quote:
And does it have thumb controls for controlling the computer functions??
no

Regards, Phil
Old 03-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #294
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Hi all. Just wondering how this Voyager shows rev on the bike? How does it work? Can anybody tell me? Thx.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #295
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer View Post
Hi all. Just wondering how this Voyager shows rev on the bike? How does it work? Can anybody tell me? Thx.
It has a sensor wire that wraps around the spark plug wire. From there, you can choose to view the RPMs several different ways using the set up menu in the Voyager.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #296
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
It has a sensor wire that wraps around the spark plug wire. From there, you can choose to view the RPMs several different ways using the set up menu in the Voyager.
Thx
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #297
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Can anybody also tell me where to mount this rad temp sensor on my 2009 CRF 450 X. Any help with pics would be highly appreciated.
Thx.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #298
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Tachbar issue improvement with 2.08.00 FW?

Flashed Voyager to new FW 2.08.00 today. Rode 20km. Seems like tachbar accuracy has been further improved. While riding it freaked out only twice. Looked better then ever before, when it freaked out continuously most of the time I hit high revs.
With todays ride values would have been usable nearly all over the place.
However, still using my big flattening capacity. Also, it was cold and rainy today. My impression was, it would be better at cold temperatures. But let's see...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #299
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Didn't realise there was a firmware update so thanks for posting.

I came to the thread actually looking to see if anyone has had issues with the altitude, not that its a huge issue for me but its always nice that your unit works properly. I notice that at times I will get negative values. Yesterday though it hit an all time low of -716ft. Anyone else having this issue? Any input is much appreciated.

The other thing that I would like to happen is I did not put the unit on the bike when new and would like to input the ACTUAL mileage and run hours. Again it's not all that complicated to do a little math but it would be nice if I can accomplish this.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #300
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Asrvivor gave me his trailtech voyager and I have yet to figure out anything gps related about it. Is there anyone in the area that would be willing to school me with it sometime after work this week (trip planned next week)? I can trade beer, or labor, or cash. I have gps tracks and a laptop but no software or knowhow.
Just a warning, trying to teach me may be painful.

Shoot me a PM
Thanks

Jesse
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote