ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #61
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Very cool product! I'm interested in ordering one! Still plan on shipping these the first week of November 2010?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #62
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtech
devrodirt,

Should we have just copied what everyone else did and run the topo's available on the open market? -Maybe but we focused on what we could do better than everyone else on our first GPS unit.

8x the memory depth
Monochrome LCD with higher resolution and more than 2x the contrast resulting in a display that is so much more readable, anyone who actually sees one prefers it to a color 60csx (side by side testing)
plugs direct into the bikes wire harness for power without concern of voltage or polarity.
turns itself on/off by knowing what the bike is doing.
File transfer that does not require removing the unit from the bike.
permanent and accurate odometer
Motorcycle specific mounts that put the unit out of the way of harm and/or injury to the rider included in the box
The list goes on..

We are open to contructive critisim and the Topo comments are well noted. It would be best served if your comments were after you actually saw Voyager in action.

Geoff Wotton - Trail Tech R&D geoff@trailtech.net
Geoff,

I like the concept of the voyager but if you are going to engage the adventure community Trailtech needs to provide information on the basemaps included with the unit and what the potential and/or process for updates are. From the information provided I do not have any information on road networks, streams, water bodies, GNIS POIs, ... All are important for navigation. Can Trailtech shed some light on these features (or lack of)? I cannot consider purchasing a GPS enabled unit without more information on the geospatial functionality.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #63
garridan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
I love it when a manufacurer gets onto this place.

Dunno about the US riding and planning, but I do realise that servicing the local market is plan 1 in any business plan. But in Oz Garmin maps seem to be most popular. More of a thing about finding a way around a locked gate or an unpassible track even though your came through it a few years ago. Dunno if you guys have lantana there.

So personally I'm a bit dissapointed that the brilliant idea of merging a dash with a GPS (the holy grail of bike info really) doesn't provided this. Unless I'm mistaken and there is a way of creating a map of some kind.

ps: now I've got the oppurtunity, why not provide a volt meter with all your computers?
We don't have lantana here, although in the NW brush grows quickly and it is very common for trees to fall across trails. In time OHVtrails.net will provide more and more information about trails including reviews and updates.

The Striker and Voyager both have "voltmeters". For the other meters we could offer a promotion. Buy a Vapor or Vector and receive a free Harbor Freight volt meter

garridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #64
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,408
Great info in this thread, and good suggestions and questions. I think the Rockies members have had a good look- sending it to the GPS forum for more input.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #65
fstclyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I'm interested in this unit as well but a bit concerned with not having topo's. I'm new to trail riding and a GPS but up here in the Colo Rockies, it seems I would want topo's when I'm lost or looking for a trail.

If Trail Tech has a return policy, I would certainly give the Voyager a try. I love the connection to the bike and temp monitoring is great. My FE390 has everything but that (and of course a GPS). Looking forward to seeing/trying this product.

CD
fstclyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #66
benno.h
cageracer

Oddometer: 437
This could have been the coolest thing in the world if it had decent mapping and routing capability (Open Street Maps anyone?!?!?!).

As much as I want to, I just can't see it as a replacement for a garmin + regular instruments.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:24 PM   #67
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Since the instruments on my bike are beginning to show signs of failing, and I have a Zumo 550 which can display TOPO maps, but does not do so good with tracks. This unit makes some sense to me. I hope to get a chance to see one fairly soon.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:26 AM   #68
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,230
Thumb

Kudos to TrailTech for buying into this arena, I'd like to congratulate you on having the courage to take a new step up. I also understand that this is a first attempt, so chances are it won't be the full quid first time. I'd like to give some constructive feedback on what sort of requirements a fair few of us need.

I use a Garmin 60CSx for adventure riding here in Australia.
It displays whichever mapset I have selected, plus I have it configured to display speed and current time. It also has a full-featured trip computer function with odo readings, total trip distance, time in motion and time standing still, average speed, average moving speed, the list goes on and on, and it is eminently customisable to my needs, and costs $299 here in Australia, or $199 the USA. To be competitive I think you will need to offer a similar level of functionality and pricing, as I can't see riders opting to pay more money for less function. It is also colour, and eminently readable in direct sunlight.
It holds routable road and street mapping (City Navigator, which also has loads of unsealed backroads and tracks in it), and 3 different sets of publicly-available offroad mapping (from 3 different datasets), 2 of which are also topo, 1 of which also contains full street and road mapping as well, plus the third set has some other neat features coded into it that make it indispensable in this country. That's 4 sets of maps that all cover the entire continent, all loaded.
I think what TrailTech need to understand is that out here it's just no good having a line on a screen telling you where you're hopelessly lost. The distances are truly vast, there is wall-to-wall fuck-all for hundreds or even thousands of kilometres in every direction in the outback, it all looks the same (flat, red. saltbush, scrub) and the ability to reference a map with landmarks, watercourses, topo, and any other clue to your whereabouts is vital if you are keen on not dying alone and miserable. If I just need a tracklog device I can buy a cheap $60 unit that will have a monochrome screen (a bit backwards these days) that will do the job.

Personally I think you need to have a good, long conversation with your target audience, and if you can satisfy the most demanding users then you will have a product that will sell itself to the rest of us. This is a good step in the right direction (whiners aside ) and I encourage you to keep up the dialogue. The more detailed info we get, the better the feedback.
My 2c.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #69
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Trailtech Inc.,

Thanks for keeping the products coming and being innovative. And a big thanks for unzipping and hanging it all out there by engaging in a dialogue online. Faceless contact with critics on the web can be nasty. Though they may have a legitimate nag with a particular function or detail, the presentations by some users can be a bit harsh. So keep that in mind when reading all of these responses.

I've been a Trailtech customer for several years now. Started with the basic computer, stepped up to the Endurance, then on to a Vector now. The earlier models had some issues here and there, and I've shredded a few cables, too. The quality and durability of the units seems to have improved over the years/models in my experience, so I'm a happy customer.

I'm an avid rider, using hard maps, roadbooks/roll charts and gps for navigation. For me, the more information the better. I've been using a Garmin GPS V now for several years. The screen is small, but the unit is fairly durable and I'm used to using it. Yes, the topo data is dated to say the least. But as others have said, having a line for a track on a blank background doesn't give a lot of information. About the only time I've had that work is when someone else has already pre-run the trail, and you have confidence that it hasn't changed since the 'line' was recorded. The Kings of The West rally comes to mind. For that event, I just glanced at the gps and followed the line. I've been in situations where my old boy scout orienteering skills were needed to navigate my way in or out. This means using topographical information like creeks, ridges, mountains etc. to determine not only where I am, but where I am trying to go. If the gps didn't have that information, I'd have to pull out a hard map. And that gets to be a pain in the field.

So I guess this boils down to the type of riding you're going to be doing. If you're riding in known areas and know where you want to go, it should work fine. If you're exploring in an area without pre-planning or using tracks you developed from old maps and Google Earth imagery, this unit may limit your abilities to navigate in the field.

Almost more importantly though, is the user interface. Being able to zoom in or out easily, selecting tracks, reversing tracks etc. are very important. Track up or North up? Is there a compass rose or north arrow? The answers to these can almost be more important than basemaps.

My personal experience also makes me consider redundancy with my gear. Do I want to have all of my eggs in one basket? Yes, it's convenient to have everything in one package. On different occasions, I've had gps's and trip computers fail. Having road/trail notes and hard maps kept me from going in circles being chased by buzzards. I'm not sure where I stand on this yet.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #70
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron
Trailtech Inc.,

My personal experience also makes me consider redundancy with my gear. Do I want to have all of my eggs in one basket?
Great stuff Capt.

I'm with you on redundancy.

In your experiance, would you say having this unit as a Dash and GPS (either main or back-up) and a stand alone GPS like a 60csx or other "non-zumo" work as a fairly reliable solution?

That is the way I am headed, but I would appreciate your thoughts.
(though I would use my nuvi 750 while taking trips on the road)

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #71
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

I have to say, the price point of this product is impressive. I may very well consider this as a base unit, and supplement it with a "real" gps and my roadbook. Don't take my "real" comment as bashing this thing. I just don't know enough about it to compare it with consumer-grade gps's currently on the market.

Now that you mention it, this might be a great idea. Hell, I already have a Vector and a gps. How is this different? It just adds routing/tracking to my vector, while still maintaining the use of my Garmin. Not that the Garmin is the best, but it's what I have.

I really look forward to this. The ultimate for me (thanks to the insight of a buddy), is the incorporation of aerial/satellite images ala' Google Earth. Now THAT would be awesome....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #72
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I wish I needed one of these, at that price it looks like a great deal! If I didn't already have my 2610 I'd be all over this.

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #73
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Problem with Google Earth is that you can't see through the canopy.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #74
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
Problem with Google Earth is that you can't see through the canopy.

And topo maps are out of date. Got a solution?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #75
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Depends on the area. So long as you're not expecting a highway from a dashed line you're alright. YMMV.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote