Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Very cool ride! Congratulations
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
kanur OP
cu new er

Oddometer: 676
Well..... I rode the Saracen in a local vintage trial Saturday and I have to say this is the best running Sachs powered trials bike I have ever rode and I have owned several Penton/Wassell trials.

This thing just tractors along. I'm not sure what the big difference is. It has a Mikuni carb which I have never used and the head pipe is a smaller diameter.

It has a couple ergo issues I need to correct, pegs are too high and the brake pedal is too short, but over all it worked pretty well
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
I'd hate to see you modify the frame/footpegs on your bike, it truly is a classic.
I have a Sherpa T (far past the point of collectability) that I've lowered the pegs on. It makes the bike more comfortable for me (I'm over 6 feet tall), but didn't really improve my scores. We have very little vintage competition here so I mostly ride intermediate level modern events.
While standing on high pegs can feel awkward remember you do have something no modern bike has, a seat. Also, high pegs can keep the tops of your Wellies above the water line .

lamotovita screwed with this post 11-02-2010 at 11:18 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
kanur OP
cu new er

I don't believe I will need to alter the peg mounts. It's not real clear in the picture but the pegs have almost a 1 1/2" rise to them, a pair that come straight out should do the trick. Even if I changed the mounts it would be an improvment as they are clearly not stock and not very stellar.

Nice looking Bultaco, I used to have a model 199 that had a rare alloy tank on it.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #20
derykwylde
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumb Help may be at hand........

Hi,

Noticed your post about the Saracen trials models with the reference to the 'Competition Motor Cycle Reference Library - Volume 2' which I created and published way back when.

Sadly I can't suggest where you could find a copy but I do still have my own reference copy - I also have my copy of the CD that went to the printers for them to feed through their electronic Printing Press so I am able to offer you a reprint service of the articles - not just photocopies of the pages but high quality gloss reprints of each page of the Saracen (or any other article from the 100 issues of Offroad Review that I created.)

Alternatively I can supply prints of any of the photographs used in any of the books and magazines that I published, or help with anyone trying to publish any books or articles about classic European competition motor cycling.

Just send your queries to derykwylde@gmail.com - but bear in mind that I am now retired and don't have an office full of helpers so responses probably won't be immediiate.

If any one would like to see copies of the magazines and books, Brian Slark at the Barber Motor Museum has a full collection in his 'Reference' library.

Cheers.
derykwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #21
derykwylde
n00b

Wicked Deryk Wylde contact

Hi,

The fax number quoted in the above reference was my fax number 10 years ago when I li,ved in Wales - I no longer have a fax - but please use email: Derykwylde@gmail.com

Cheers
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
kanur OP
cu new er

Thanks for the offer of help.

Just a few weeks ago I sold the Saracen along with a Greeves Pathfinder, a Puch powered Dalesman, and a Sachs powered Sprite. I'll pass the contact info along to the new owner.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #23
derykwylde
n00b

Hi,

Some images to ponder !/
/Users/derykwylde/Desktop/742.jpg/Users/derykwylde/Desktop/frocov.jpg

I have many thousands more, classic trials and scrambles from the magazine 'Offroad Review' which I created and published and the 'Rich Mixture' series of books.

Many of my images were never used in the publications - so contact me thru; the Adventure Rider website and I'll try to help.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #24
derykwylde
n00b

Saracen trials

Hi, Here are some images from my collection

http://offropics.smugmug.com/Classic...0407&k=t2ZZKD8

Plenty more where these came from!!!

Contact me thru ADV RIDER for details

Deryk Wylde