ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,457
Thumb Winter camp set up.... bivy style...



my son set this up.... a bivy option ....for cold windy days. just a thought...
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer
 
Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 820
Us moto hanger types must be like a secret society! Maybe we need to have a secret hand shake or something.

Ordering a Byer hammock stand to conduct back yard "home experiments" in (no suitable trees in the yard). I set up the Warbonnet BB at a local park last week and I really need some time to experiment with distance and angle with an overnighter or ten to make sure all is well. I finally got it set and it was quite comfy but I could tell it can be better (hard to tell while being bombarded with loud Hip Hop music).
__________________
Firefly; the way it will actually be...rednecks in space, dealing with the mess made by urban progressives while being hounded by them and all without any goofy alien stuff. Shiney!
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
Dragan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 99
Hammoks are the schizzle! We've been using a couple of Henessys for nearly 10 years..like it enough that we've never looked at newer designs. They're great for riding, but we got ours initially for a 3 week kayaking trip. I haven't slept in a tent since
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
HighTechCoonass OP
Living the Dream....
 
HighTechCoonass's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: land of the swamps!, Cajun Country LA
Oddometer: 2,457
Laugh

Same here Dragan, About 10 years ago I was big into to Sea Kayaking and canoeing. DOwn south here it is hard to find a smooth spot to camp - there are lots of cypress knees along the bayous / lakes and gear space was tight in the boat. I found a Hennesy at my local outdoor shop and was floored when i saw the tent hammock. What a perfect idea! I am getting 2 more Hennesy (one new zipper model XL). I will do a youtube HD video on a new Hennesy Jungle XL model bike camping! Stay tuned to this thread!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragan
Hammoks are the schizzle! We've been using a couple of Henessys for nearly 10 years..like it enough that we've never looked at newer designs. They're great for riding, but we got ours initially for a 3 week kayaking trip. I haven't slept in a tent since
__________________
Living the dream here in the good old USA! l
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #20
ep!c
Pannier Manufacturer
 
ep!c's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Vernon Washington
Oddometer: 210
I just hung a hammock in my office, here at Ep!c Panniers. I had no Idea how comfortable a hammock can be! Think I'll get a hennessey and get rid of my tent. Sleeping on the ground sucks
ep!c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,792
So the more I start reading and going to different websites the more confused I get

Seems some sleep semi-sideways and that keeps you flatter but if I check some sites they are in there long ways.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

I read that some people keep a rolled up fleece under the knees so that seems to indicate they are sleeping longways and the knees suffer bent like that.

I'm a side sleeper and laying long ways would limit moving around too much. How about laying on the diagonal, can you move around a bit? I used to car camp and bring a hammock to lay around in but never thought about laying sideways so never used it much except for a snooze.

I really liked this NX-250 with the two poles and weather cover but is it a diagonal sleeper or long way sleeper?

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php

Prices seem to go up there on some of these, it's like buying a really high end 4 season ground tent. Then there are underquilts and over quilts for $300 or more each.

If I took a XL Clark Jungle Hammock in Camo with large fly and insulation we're at $700
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 12:19 PM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
Mad_Jack
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Somewhere in the coulees
Oddometer: 24
Dan,

You might want to hang out at www.hammockforums.com and study up on hammocks and suspensions. You can find out more than you'll ever want to know.

If you really want to sleep diagonally, you'll need an asymmetric hammock, like the Hennessey. But if your goal is to sleep flat, take a look at bridge-style hammocks.

I'm not really familiar with the Clark but from the pics at your link, it looks like a bridge- or semi-bridge style and looks like it hangs fairly flat. But since there is no one in the hammock in the ad, the pics could be deceiving.

The idea of sleeping in a V-shape doesn't bother me as I sleep on air mattresses a lot (instead of a regular mattress) and my fat butt is always the low point anyway.
__________________
I'm an ex-citizen of nowhere...and sometimes I get mighty homesick.
Mad_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #23
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer
 
Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
I'm a side sleeper and laying long ways would limit moving around too much. How about laying on the diagonal, can you move around a bit?

I really liked this NX-250 with the two poles and weather cover but is it a diagonal sleeper or long way sleeper?

If I took a XL Clark Jungle Hammock in Camo with large fly and insulation we're at $700
As already stated an asym hammock is the way to go if you want not to be bent like a banana. Word on Hammock Forum (from those who have owned both) is the Warbonnet Blackbirk (WBBB) is best for asym lay and the Clark tends to force more of a banana lay.

The WBBB is going to cost you under $200 add a Kelty Noah's 9x9 Tarp and you are still under $250 (if you shop well). The Kelty is a fine tarp for those of us who don't plan to backpack. An Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) New River (NR) underqult will cost you $155 and you can use your mummy bag as a top quilt. Now you are looking at around $400.

I intend to buy a good down top quilt and an upgraded NR underquilt for my WBBB and Kelty tarp. That will put me around $600 total...a bargan for warm comfortable off the ground sleep in my mind. One big challenge is finding trees (or other structure) that works but then the hammock will set up in gobs of places you would never dream of putting up a tent.
__________________
Firefly; the way it will actually be...rednecks in space, dealing with the mess made by urban progressives while being hounded by them and all without any goofy alien stuff. Shiney!
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #24
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racerman27410's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Us moto hanger types must be like a secret society! Maybe we need to have a secret hand shake or something.

Ordering a Byer hammock stand to conduct back yard "home experiments" in (no suitable trees in the yard). I set up the Warbonnet BB at a local park last week and I really need some time to experiment with distance and angle with an overnighter or ten to make sure all is well. I finally got it set and it was quite comfy but I could tell it can be better (hard to tell while being bombarded with loud Hip Hop music).

A " Hang shake " ?

it takes a few hangs to get to know your "comfort hang" tension.... some people say 30 degree angle on the support strap/whoopies,ropes etc and i find that number to be fairly accurate if the trees are spaced the right distance..... after a few camping trips you will be able to visualize the hammock hanging and quickly spot trees that are the correct distance apart.

trying to hang from trees that are too far apart can lead to an uncomfortable nights sleep.....i usually try and stay about 5 to 6 paces between trees.

happy hanging !
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racerman27410's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
As already stated an asym hammock is the way to go if you want not to be bent like a banana. Word on Hammock Forum (from those who have owned both) is the Warbonnet Blackbirk (WBBB) is best for asym lay and the Clark tends to force more of a banana lay.

The WBBB is going to cost you under $200 add a Kelty Noah's 9x9 Tarp and you are still under $250 (if you shop well). The Kelty is a fine tarp for those of us who don't plan to backpack. An Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) New River (NR) underqult will cost you $155 and you can use your mummy bag as a top quilt. Now you are looking at around $400.

I intend to buy a good down top quilt and an upgraded NR underquilt for my WBBB and Kelty tarp. That will put me around $600 total...a bargan for warm comfortable off the ground sleep in my mind. One big challenge is finding trees (or other structure) that works but then the hammock will set up in gobs of places you would never dream of putting up a tent.

if you're on a budget the warbonnet can be had in a double layer model.... a couple of pieces of reflectix insulation between the layers. Add a tarp pitched low and a decent sleeping bag will easily get you comfy in temps down to freezing without the expensive underquilts. (my brother rocks this setup)

If you camp colder than that then you will already know to invest in some quality insulation.

also hennessy sells a supershelter system that is very nice... i use the undercover and the insulation system on my explorer deluxe (with an added piece of reflectix)......this setup works great down into the 20's and then my compromise is my sleeping bag... i dont really do much camping at these temps i just tried it out to make sure it could be done.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
So the more I start reading and going to different websites the more confused I get

Dan
Do a search on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

Shug sold me on the WB BB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxevtxnkmkk

Whooooooooooooooo Buddy!

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 02:47 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #27
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer
 
Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410
A " Hang shake " ?
Now that was a waste of good beer. My monitor does not appreciate beer like I do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410
if you're on a budget the warbonnet can be had in a double layer model.... a couple of pieces of reflectix insulation between the layers. Add a tarp pitched low and a decent sleeping bag will easily get you comfy in temps down to freezing without the expensive underquilts. (my brother rocks this setup)
Or the ubiquitous Walmart "blue pad" with a space blanket? Comfortable means a good UQ and TQ...I intend to live not just survive outside.
__________________
Firefly; the way it will actually be...rednecks in space, dealing with the mess made by urban progressives while being hounded by them and all without any goofy alien stuff. Shiney!
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,792
Great info, thanks.

But, to start from the top, how do I tell which is an asymetrical hammock and which isn't?

I saw that War Bonnet with the double layer bottom. Seems a good idea to be able to slip insulation in there when needed not try to lay on a pad in the hammock.

The Clark Jungle hammock has 6 pockets down there that give an air chamber effect by themselves or can be filled with insulation. Very nice, but it's a bannana hammock, right.
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer
 
Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Great info, thanks.

But, to start from the top, how do I tell which is an asymetrical hammock and which isn't?

I saw that War Bonnet with the double layer bottom. Seems a good idea to be able to slip insulation in there when needed not try to lay on a pad in the hammock.

The Clark Jungle hammock has 6 pockets down there that give an air chamber effect by themselves or can be filled with insulation. Very nice, but it's a bannana hammock, right.
Hey Dan, waited but no replies so; The Warbonnet Blackbirds (WBBBs) are asym as are Hennessys (HH). The gathered end hammocks (different design from the ones that need a bar through both ends) all tend toward asym lay. It then comes down to a matter of degrees for asym lay and even actual design. The Clark is a fine gathered end hammock (the rods are for spreading out the skeeter netting) and I almost bit but general consensus on Hammock Forum (HF) is the WBBB offers the best asym lay. WBBB and Clark are both USA made (not sure about others) in cottage shops so you can contact the owners. Brandon of WBBB is very good at replying to emails etc and helpful.

Double layer hammocks can accept the closed cell foam (CCF) pads and many think that the best way to lay on one but you can simply put one in your hammock directly under you. That (between the double layer) is how I am testing my WBBB right now...until I get insulation specifically designed for these. If you want serious comfortable luxury warm, think about a nice underquilt (UQ) and topquilt (TQ). Nest in comfy down and sleep away the night...sounds good to me.

If you take your questions to www.hammockforums.net the education can begin in ernest. Note the abbreviations? New language spoken over there but it is easy to learn.
__________________
Firefly; the way it will actually be...rednecks in space, dealing with the mess made by urban progressives while being hounded by them and all without any goofy alien stuff. Shiney!
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #30
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Memphis, Tn.
Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Hey Dan, waited but no replies so; The Warbonnet Blackbirds (WBBBs) are asym as are Hennessys (HH). The gathered end hammocks (different design from the ones that need a bar through both ends) all tend toward asym lay. It then comes down to a matter of degrees for asym lay and even actual design. The Clark is a fine gathered end hammock (the rods are for spreading out the skeeter netting) and I almost bit but general consensus on Hammock Forum (HF) is the WBBB offers the best asym lay. WBBB and Clark are both USA made (not sure about others) in cottage shops so you can contact the owners. Brandon of WBBB is very good at replying to emails etc and helpful.

Double layer hammocks can accept the closed cell foam (CCF) pads and many think that the best way to lay on one but you can simply put one in your hammock directly under you. That (between the double layer) is how I am testing my WBBB right now...until I get insulation specifically designed for these. If you want serious comfortable luxury warm, think about a nice underquilt (UQ) and topquilt (TQ). Nest in comfy down and sleep away the night...sounds good to me.

If you take your questions to www.hammockforums.net the education can begin in ernest. Note the abbreviations? New language spoken over there but it is easy to learn.
This is very good advice. I have only been in my hammock a handful of times but I LOVE my hammocks. I have two Hennessy hammocks and ordered a WBBB after laying in one last weekend at a hang(hammockforum camping get together). Be warned now though.....you think alot of people do farkles to their bikes.....just wait until you get into the hammock realm. Everyone sets them up different, uses different types of insulation etc. It can get very expensive if you go all out with the high end gear. You can get by with getting a HH/tarp combo, use the factory suspension system and carry a nice down sleeping bag to get by but you may feel cool from underneath so alot of people will add a foam pad in their hammock when it cools down too much for the sleeping bag. Last weekend I was in 29* weather with a Jacks R Better underquilt(3 season) and a sleeping bag as a top quilt. I froze my butt off but the next night added a foam pad in the hammock and it made it 100% better. BTW most army surplus stores sell the foam pads for $3. I bought four of them last weekend for our family to use and they were worth 10x's that in comfort.
__________________
'84 Honda CH150 Elite Deluxe
'02 HD XL883R (for sale)
'06 Buell Ulysses
'09 Yamaha T-Max
'06 Honda Silver wing (for sale)
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014