Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #31
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Great info, thanks.

I saw that War Bonnet with the double layer bottom. Seems a good idea to be able to slip insulation in there when needed not try to lay on a pad in the hammock.
It doesn't have to go under your sleeping bag either. I run a thermarest prolite, it's smaller and tapered not a big rectangle so it slips right inside my bag. It packs way smaller than any of the commercial underquilts I've seen and only cost a fraction of the price. I sleep in a -7 synthetic mummy, with long johns I've spent many a comfy night of high humidity in slush and snow right down to 0. Tie the fly low and a top quilt is unnecessary for those temps. I actually prefer the pad over nothing even when warm as I like the support it offers.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #32
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
I froze my butt off but the next night added a foam pad in the hammock and it made it 100% better.
BTW Dan, this is called CBS (cold butt syndrome).

Been thinking about the JRB for cold camp and now know that a winter (instaed of the 3 season) full length will probably be the way to go. Thanks Lee.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #33
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,671
Since my last post I've spent many long hours reading HF, watching Shug's videos and checking out all the websites I can find.

I now know what an Mount Washington UQ and a Black Mamba TQ are and know JRB makes a bridge hammock and WBBB has a dedicated foot box and .........
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
It doesn't have to go under your sleeping bag either. I run a thermarest prolite, it's smaller and tapered not a big rectangle so it slips right inside my bag. It packs way smaller than any of the commercial underquilts I've seen and only cost a fraction of the price. I sleep in a -7 synthetic mummy, with long johns I've spent many a comfy night of high humidity in slush and snow right down to 0. Tie the fly low and a top quilt is unnecessary for those temps. I actually prefer the pad over nothing even when warm as I like the support it offers.

How would my Big Agnes bag with the built in pad sleeve work in these?

Seems to me I first need to decide if I want to try and sleep totally flat by using either the JRB Bridge Hammock

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

or the Lawson Bridge

http://www.lawsonhammock.com/

These seem to me to be the most easily adapted to and seem to be the easiest to set up if you have to go to ground. This is an important consideration I think.

If not a bridge hammock then the field seems to open up to the War Bonnet Black Bird

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php

or the Clark NX-250 Hammock. This has that nice weather guard that you can pull over it if's really windy or cold.

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php

These have been my thoughts so far but I'm still learning and have a long ways to go and really appreciate any thoughts you guys have.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #35
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
If I knew then what I know now I could have bought a storm crow UQ to start with. After I got back last weekend I ordered a stormcrow uq/tq setup. I sat in a hammock with this setup at the hang last weekend and they were awesome. For the dollars I would definitely go stormcrow. Just my experience and it is somewhat limited but I am getting pretty deep into this hammock stuff. By spring we will likely have three sets of tq/uq for me and my boys. I just LOVE camping in these things. If it weren't for the hammocks I doubt I would have ever got into camping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
BTW Dan, this is called CBS (cold butt syndrome).

Been thinking about the JRB for cold camp and now know that a winter (instaed of the 3 season) full length will probably be the way to go. Thanks Lee.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #36
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
Mosquito Hammocks------

thats what I use, changed out the suspension to straps. i like the pad pocket
provides the best night of sleep i've had camping

bonus no getting up to pee just turn to your side
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #37
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #38
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
If I knew then what I know now I could have bought a storm crow UQ to start with.
I'm actually considering the Storm Crow Incubator UQ in Winter long trim with the Warbonnet Mamba TQ Winter Long/wide. Both are wider and longer so offer more coverage for my hog body. Might need a Crow's Nest 3 season as well...it is an addiction I tell ya.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #39
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
its workable but not ideal.... to get a good lay the pad needs most of the air let out and air is the majority of the insulation with the BA mats.. at least in my experience..... since my BA insulated pad never held air in the first place i have first hand experience with CBS.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #40
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Seems to me I first need to decide if I want to try and sleep totally flat by using either the JRB Bridge Hammock
I'm a side sleeper and have a Hennessey Explorer Dlx with a MacEntyre 3/4 underquilt. Never slept better. Wake with zero soreness or stiffness...very new experience for me. Only trouble is I find myself sleeping late and not getting back on the road as early as normal

Oh, bought my Hennessey as a second, and picked up the UQ from Mac for well under $100...total in under $200
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #41
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
I'm actually considering the Storm Crow Incubator UQ in Winter long trim with the Warbonnet Mamba TQ Winter Long/wide. Both are wider and longer so offer more coverage for my hog body. Might need a Crow's Nest 3 season as well...it is an addiction I tell ya.
yeah once we get past christmas I plan on ordering a stormcrow 3 season uq and tq. For summertime I imagine that I'll use a foam pad between the dl of the wbbb and a fleece blanket so I doubt I'll purchase a summer setup for us. Down in the south in the summertime the lows can sometimes be in the 80's so we won't need much if any coverage for that time of year but I am what you would probably call a very "cold" sleeper. I typically sleep with a couple more blankets on my side of the bed than my wife.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #42
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Does the extra material for the pockets on the bottom of a Clark actually work or is a pad as necessary as on any other hammock?

Basic question ... how do I know which hammock I'm going to like better

Are there certain types that are better for certain types of sleeping styles or certain types of gear? It really is wide open when you don't have a point of refference. If someone said what's the best bike for me we could narrow it down pretty well. How about here?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #43
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
While I've never seen a Big Agnes bag if it has a spot to put some less compressable insulation then it would likely work. Give it a try, you can always buy the UQ later.

Edit; whatever you choose get the biggest fly you can and you don't need a tarp for camp.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."

triplenickel screwed with this post 11-04-2010 at 08:37 PM
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #44
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
I use an Eagle's Nest Singlenest.
I do a lot of backpacking and camping.

My setup is a middle of the road Mountainsmith 20F bag with synth fill and a Walmart special fleece bag liner from the Ozark Trail brand.
I've slept in it down to 25F and been just fine.

Summers and warm weather it's a superb way to go. No sweaty back and no real bug issues with the bugscreen.

Great system. They're right here in Asheville too. I buy local.

I'm making an underquilt for mine, but I'll be camping in it again next week as well to see how low I can go in it.

I still carry a big tarp to use as a bivouac and tie it to trap/direct heat from a campfire in cold weather.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Does the extra material for the pockets on the bottom of a Clark actually work or is a pad as necessary as on any other hammock?

Basic question ... how do I know which hammock I'm going to like better

Are there certain types that are better for certain types of sleeping styles or certain types of gear? It really is wide open when you don't have a point of refference. If someone said what's the best bike for me we could narrow it down pretty well. How about here?
Depends on your needs. Are you claustrophobic, need to get up and pee 10 times a night, worry about every gram or prefer comfort, do any backpacking or just moto/car stuff?

Some find the models like the Hennessy to be a little claustrophobic with the screen over their faces. They also don't like the bottom entry.
Some like the bottom entry because they can simply stand up in the middle of the night and pee once. 10 times would probably not be good.
Open hammocks that use a traditional style where you sit and then swing your legs in offer less claustrophobia, the ability to use them as a camp chair too, and offer a less intensive setup since if you don't need a fly or bug cover you don't have to pitch one to make it work.

So, what do you need?