Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #91
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Land

You have done a great deal more hangs than I have. I ordered a WBBB last week and it is suppose to ship later this week. I can't wait until my winter uq shows up. I'm thinking about doing some camping over the New Years weekend if the weather isn't too bad.
Lee, I'm a relative noob at hammock camping, having only started in June.

I teach high school, so I've been incredibly fortunate to get to ride and camp a lot in the summers. I have loved camping in the hammock these past few months.

I have a 3/4 synthetic-fill underquilt from Kick-Ass Quilts. It was great for my summer hangs (which got down into the 30s a couple of nights out west ), but a full-length down underquilt and a down topquilt are on my wish list. It was cold at the Rebel Yell Rally this past weekend at Two Wheels Only in Suches , GA -- 28 or so and windy Friday night and about 21 or 22 but calm Saturday night. I supplemented my underquilt with a pad, and I wore lots of layers and used a couple of Nalgene bottles filled with hot water in the hammock and managed to stay pretty warm.

I think that you're gong to be really pleased with that Blackbird.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #92
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,072
I also have a set of stormcrow winter uq/tq on order. I am hearing that they average about a month turn around on them so hopefully I'll have them before the holidays get here.

Yeah the hammock equipment gets expensive but I believe you get what you pay for. I started out using the Jacks R Better uq's and they have been great. My problem is both my kids want to go so everything I am getting is times 3.
'09 Yamaha T-Max
'06 Honda Silver wing (for sale)
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #93
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTrip
BTW, my recommendation is to just bite the bullet, buy a WBBB and a UQ from Stormcrow, get a cheap tarp like a Kelty 9x9 and use your existing bag for a TQ. You can do that whole setup for about $400 and you'll never sleep better.
There is the rub...though I agree 100% with your selection (so far ). What rub y'all may ask? Well the journey at Hammock Forums (HF) while doing research is overwhelming and your mind will do gymnastics as you sort through the subjective and objective info (not to mention learn an acronym language). I am now considering the full insulation kit because below 70 degrees something will be needed, plus with lower temps a down UQ is (in my mind) not optional for comfort. Comfort is king outdoors and especially as we age. Selecting the hammock caused several u-turns and the insulation packege seems to be worse...or better if you catch my drift. I ride a BMW and have a DR650 throwdown (with farkles and gear), what do I worry about cash outlay?

The list already checked so far;
1-WBBB...want a Traveler too.
2-Kelty Noah's 12x12...want a 9x9 too or maybe one of those low drag high speed bacpacking ones (but prolly not).
3-Suspension for the tarp is DIY with four Prusik knots to adjust tension. Assorted line and carabiners space blankets etc for experimenting.

Want to get list;
1-Walmart blue pad.
2-Stormcrow Incubator full length down Winter underquilt (UQ).
3-Warbonnet Balck Mamba XL down top quilt (TQ).
4-Snake Skins.

All the want list is based on my desire to be really warm and comfy and my size. The Stormcrow Incubator UQ is wider and longer than others and the WB Mamba XL TQ is the same thing. Why a TQ? I will make do with a sleeping bag for now but the hammock specific TQs have no zipper and a "foot box" that goes just above the knees. This is more simple to work inside the UQ nested hammock and set up properly provides a soft down nest with down cover (makes me feel all warm and fuzzy just to think of it). The Wallymart blue pad is for those nights when it is too hot for an UQ or I do need to go to ground (protect the WBBB and me) or the UQ needs more insulation. This list has gone through some changes and I am not done researching.

All that to say do your own research to make your own decisions. I am actually enjoying the homework...a form of man shopping.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #94
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Land,

Those are great pictures & most are in areas that I camp in or will next year so the hammock should work well there. Down here in the desert SW trees are a little scarce. It looks like you used the UQ a lot & I'm thinking many or most of the hammock campers sleep fully clothed or close. When camping I sleep in shorts & socks so there may be some adjustment needed. The GA picture looked cold & I notice you had a fully enclosed tarp. I guess a hammock is like sleeping in a tent on a cot-no insulation under you.

Law Dawg,

I have both Kelty tarps & am very close to getting the WBBB 1.0 or 1.1 DL. Since I only plan to use it in the summertime it should work well.

I agree, HF is much like advrider - one can spend waaaaay too much time on either, which usually leads to some cash outlay....

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #95
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR
It looks like you used the UQ a lot & I'm thinking many or most of the hammock campers sleep fully clothed or close. When camping I sleep in shorts & socks so there may be some adjustment needed.
I use the underquilt pretty much every night I sleep in the hammock -- and sometimes during the day when I'm napping.

The "Bridge ices before road" concept is alive and well in hammock camping. Your cot reference is very apt.

The conventional wisdom -- and someone (maybe Law Dawg) referenced it in a post earlier in this thread -- is that you need some sort of insulation under you once the temperature drops below 70 degrees F.

Some of you reading this are thinking, "Seventy degrees? Pffft." That's pretty much what I thought, too.

Hear me now. Believe me later.You will need insulation at somewhere around 70 F. That's most nights of the year.

YMMV, or, in HammockForums parlance, HYOH (Hang Your Own Hammcock or Hang Your Own Hang ).

Have fun,
Chris

Land screwed with this post 11-09-2010 at 12:30 PM
Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #96
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,022
true enough, below 70 can be chilly.

the GOOD thing about that though, in the heat of summer, its like sleeping in an air conditioned bed.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #97
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake
true enough, below 70 can be chilly.

the GOOD thing about that though, in the heat of summer, its like sleeping in an air conditioned bed.

thats what i'm talkin about!
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #98
Land
Wanderer

In the interest of, umm, science, I hung a hammock when I got home. The sacrifices that I make for you people.

It was about 73 degrees when I got in the hammock. It's down to about 68 now. I really should go in and get my underquilt. My back is definitely chilly.

Chris
Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #99
VFR
Studly Adventurer

So how small do these things pack??? Say a WBBB 1.1 DL & full or 3/4 UQ. I can't seem to find packed sizes anywhere.

I read in the specs that a hammock is 120" long so if I ever have to go to ground it is going to seriously overlap my 84" long space blanket ground cloth. What do they use in that instance? I can see tying one end to the bike & the other to a picnic table or some other object to keep the ends off the ground & achieve some sort of ridgeline.

No kidding, there is a lot to learn about this. It also appears that the hammock is the least expensive part of the equation.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #100
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR
So how small do these things pack??? Say a WBBB 1.1 DL & full or 3/4 UQ. I can't seem to find packed sizes anywhere.

I read in the specs that a hammock is 120" long so if I ever have to go to ground it is going to seriously overlap my 84" long space blanket ground cloth. What do they use in that instance? I can see tying one end to the bike & the other to a picnic table or some other object to keep the ends off the ground & achieve some sort of ridgeline.

No kidding, there is a lot to learn about this. It also appears that the hammock is the least expensive part of the equation.
My WBBB 1.7Dbl packs up uncompressed to the size of a loaf of bread. A UQ and a TQ together will be a little more bulk and weight than a standard sleeping bag. The tarp will also pack up very small if you get a silnylon, spinnUL, or cuben tarp. The Kelty's work just fine but are bulky and heavy for backpacking. For bike camping , the weight and bulk are fine.

As for your ground cloth, you won't need a footprint to cover the whole hammock since it doesn't touch the ground. Most hiking hangers use a small piece of tyvek or any other small plastic sheet. All you are doing with the ground cloth is keeping your shoes and gear clean (if you don't hang them off of a tree or ridgeline).

-jeff

"if we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, November 29, 1802
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 AM   #101
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Thanks RoundTrip, I appreciate it. I notice you are in Tucson. Where do you hang there??? Not a lot of trees unless you go up Mt Lemmon or on the rim. I don't think I would put a hammock between two cacti....

That was pretty much the issue I had about this as I ride in that area or ones like it except for trips to CO, UT, SD etc. Not that much of a problem in those areas.

The question on the ground cloth length was more if there were no trees to hang from. I have a door mat for my tent that could be used for the same purpose with a hammock.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #102
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTrip
My WBBB 1.7Dbl packs up uncompressed to the size of a loaf of bread. A UQ and a TQ together will be a little more bulk and weight than a standard sleeping bag. The tarp will also pack up very small if you get a silnylon, spinnUL, or cuben tarp. The Kelty's work just fine but are bulky and heavy for backpacking. For bike camping , the weight and bulk are fine.

-jeff

Jeff, that uncompressed/loaf of bread comparison is a really good one.

Inspired by that, I shot these pics of a WBBB 1.1 double (my 1.7 double is hanging in my backyard right now ) with my helmet and a 32-ounce Nalgene bottle.

Uncompressed:

Kinda compressed :

My Warbonnet Superfly tarp is a relatively big 'un as hammock tarps go (11' x 10.5' or so), and it is roughly the same size uncompressed as the hammock -- maybe a tad smaller. I have an Outdoor Equipment Supplier Mac-Cat standard tarp that is quite a bit smaller (about 10.5' x 7'), and it would probably just about fit in that 32 oz. Nalgene bottle -- but it doesn't over nearly as much coverage. (It still offers a lot of coverage, though. It's just quite a bit smaller than the SuperFly.)

The hammock/tarp/topquilt/underquilt system probably won't save much if any bulk/volume over a tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad -- and some systems may very well be a little bulkier than some backpacking tents. I do think that it's easier to pack/find places for the individual/generally smaller components of a hammock system, though. YMMV.

My underquilt is a synthetic-fill 3/4-length one (A KickAss Quilts Lost River from Arrowhead Equipment). It is relatively bulky in its stuff sack, unconpressed . A gallon or so of volume, maybe?

Down stuff, of course, packs much smaller than the synthetic stuff, so if the bulk is something someone was trying to reduce, all is takes is mucho bucks. And that holds true for a tent system as much as a hammock system.

I can take pictures of all of this stuff packed up if there is interest in seeing that, but it will be tomorrow at the earliest.

Okay, y'all are probably tired of my rambling, but I'm pretty pumped about hammock camping. Is it perfect? No. But what is?

Chris

Land screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 11:47 AM
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #103
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR
Thanks RoundTrip, I appreciate it. I notice you are in Tucson. Where do you hang there??? Not a lot of trees unless you go up Mt Lemmon or on the rim. I don't think I would put a hammock between two cacti....

That was pretty much the issue I had about this as I ride in that area or ones like it except for trips to CO, UT, SD etc. Not that much of a problem in those areas.

The question on the ground cloth length was more if there were no trees to hang from. I have a door mat for my tent that could be used for the same purpose with a hammock.
Ya know, since owning a hammock it's just magical that everywhere I want to camp has trees....

Really, once you start hanging, you won't want to go back. Since I camp off my bike, I just take along my BA insulated aircore pad (small) and if I have to go to ground, I'll just setup on it and use my tarp as shelter.

-jeff

"if we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, November 29, 1802
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #104
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land
My underquilt is a synthetic-fill 4/4-length one (A KickAss Quilts lost River from Arrowhead equipment).
With the KAQ LR, what is your take on it for the WBBB for fit, especially up the side for us broad in the shoulder (and other spots as well) folks? Real world cold levels? Did it stay in place well? Did you have Paul add insulation or stay stock?

BTW thanks for suffering through the backyard set up. The things we do for "science" eh?
Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #105
Land
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
With the KAQ LR, what is your take on it for the WBBB for fit, especially up the side for us broad in the shoulder (and other spots as well) folks? Real world cold levels? Did it stay in place well? Did you have Paul add insulation or stay stock?

BTW thanks for suffering through the backyard set up. The things we do for "science" eh?
Wow, I really jacked up the fraction and capitalization in that sentence you quoted, didn't I, Law Dawg. (I went back to my post and fixteded it for posterity. )

My KAQ LR is the "stock" model, IIRC. I don't think that I had him do any mods to it when I ordered it, but I may have had him add some insulation. I honestly don't recall.

It works okay -- not great -- on the Blackbird. I have added some extra micro-biners to the shock cord to clip it to the tie-out cord for the shelf and those on the zipper side. Making sure that the shockcord is over the footbox is a little bit of an issue, too.

When I get some down stuff, I think that this LR will become my underquilt for my ENO DoubleNest. It has moved out from under me with the Blackbird, which is not a good thing, as you know. It works great on the ENO.

I'm relatively broad in the shoulders/chest (size 48 blazer), and I haven't had any problems with the LR being constricting.

It does a pretty good job in the cold. After I posted the results of my underquiltless science experiment yesterday evening, I went inside, had a bite to eat, warmed up and took the KAQ LR and my poncho-liner topquilt out to do some additional testing in the ENO. I fell asleep and woke up because the cold was coming in from the top. My back was plenty warm with the LR -- but it was 60 degrees, so it wasn't much of a test.

This past weekend, I slept with it in the 20s, but I also had a pad in between the layers of my 1.7 double. The coldest that I've slept with just the LR (with my old Moonstone 10-degree mummy as a topquilt) was the upper 30s this summer in Colorado. I stayed warm -- but I had added the mini-biners to keep the LR in place.

It's a good underquilt, but I'm curious to try one more specifically built for a Blackbird or other big asymmetrical hammock. And filled with down.
Chris