Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #46
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oddometer: 3,734
There is a super cute picture thread called "Show Us Your Bike At The Water Tower", that I love because now I have an excuse for the pull over I wanted to do anyway... Now you do as well. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717425

The first for this trip.

Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #47
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
Wish I saw this earlier I used to commute from SoMD to OIL CITY every weekend, discovered some really nice backroads up through Altoona to Dubois.

Surprised you missed the space capsule at the DQ just South of Franklin.
Hey Bob

Space Capsule

I know what you're thinking, "But I want to go see the Space Capsule..." OK, Here you go.

Now go .
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #48
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Franklin, Pennsylvania home of Applefest, coming soon, First Fri - Sat and Sunday in October. It's billed as the largest craft festival in Western PA. In 1864, John Wilkes Booth called here home. He formed an oil company and performed at the Franklin Opera House. Then he must have gotten bored, moved to DC but only briefly...

Anyway, Franklin's Courthouse, on the road through town.

Same road out of town.

Which leads to Oil City.

Billy's

So, That's what I look like. Cool!

To the Arlington, for some water, some stretching, a needed shower and some rest. The plan for the evening, get dehydrated .

Oh yeah and compete, beard contest, remember?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #49
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

5th Annual WPABMA Contest

Walked around and talked around for nearly an hour before I remembered the camera. Sorry, we now join the contest already in progress...

See the guy on the right, he's making a joke about living on "right" side of PA (versus the left ) it's not going over well.

Me with the WINNER of the freestyle category! Never insult your judges.
Good job Chad.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #50
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

The Garibaldi

One of the fun things that the Western PA Beard and Mustache Alliance does is they have event T-shirts that feature the winners from the previous event.

Category description:
Broad, full and round. Length not to exceed 20 cm, mustache integrated.
Aids are not allowed. The Garibaldi beard is a bold full beard, longer than the Verdi but shorter than most beards in the natural category.

This is a much better example of a Garibaldi Beard, current World Champion, Fritz Sendlhofer of Austria.

Anyway.

The New Garibaldi Champ...

Rodney

I got this...

and I'm not sure why. There were some very good beards on that stage.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #51
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,142
Hello Bumble Bee, the week-end before was their last open week for the season. The keepers took pity on me, mostly because they hadn't taken the "Come in We're Open" sign down, I was alone and the sun was going down . Glad I didn't call ahead . They were so nice as I was setting up my tent they brought wood over to me so I wouldn't have to carry it down to the site.

Sometimes the lack of planning works in your favor, eh?

I took a long road trip one Spring from my home in Lander, Wyoming to see my son in Grand Forks, North Dakota. I stopped on the way to camp at Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming, just East of the Black Hills and Sturgis, South Dakota. When I rolled into the campground there was no one at the entrance to take my money, the C-store and gas station were closed, and there wasn't another soul in the entire park, so I had the campground all to myself. Well, that is until about 100 Boy Scouts rolled in and set up camp just across the gravel road from me! So much for peace and quiet... I was a Scout when I was a kid so I actually enjoyed being around them and yakking with some of them and the Scout Master. The kids were pulling some of the same stunts that I did when I was their age, like throwing an un-opened can of pork 'n beans in the fire and letting it explode. Fun!

What an interesting contest, and it's cool that it is an annual event and you travel to it! I'm jealous because I just can't grow a beard to save my life, at my best I'd never even qualify for the scruff category. I feel genetically cheated, but I don't spend too much time grooming so I guess that's a fair trade.

I was very interested in your earier trip to Oil City, PA where "it" all started in the US. I'm a geologist with training in oil and gas geology, but have worked as an environmental geologist most of my career doing clean-ups of groundwater from (among other things) petroleum spills and leaks. It's been kind of a hobby of mine learning about the past practices in the industry that have led to some pretty severe contamination issues that we are still dealing with today, and I'll bet there are a few issues at that site still! In the Lander, Wyoming area there were a number of oil seeps coming from the ground near where the Oregon Trail (and Mormon Trail and others) traversed the Southern Rocky Mountains over South Pass. The travelers used to stop at these seeps and dig out the grease to lube the axles on their wagons and carts. Some enterprising persons then decided to dig some pits and recover the oil for fuel (mostly to burn for heat, etc.) and then, after the internal combustion engine was developed, they began drilling shallow wells to tap into the oil. Well, back then they didn't have electric pumps and high-pressure pipelines and big storage tanks, so they just let the oil flow freely out of the wells and into holding ponds (until reservoir pressure had been depeted and it wouldn't flow anymore). The oil was then "transported" to the nearest rail head at Lander via ditches where it accumulated in ponds (usually cut-off meander channels along the river) where it was stored until the next train with tank cars came through. If no train came along in a timely manner the oil simply overflowed the holding pond and floated away on the river . Can you imagine the smell, the damage to the environment, the fire hazards, etc. of this "management" style?? We've come a long way, and we're still dealing with the effects of this. And, those shallow wells all along the eastern front of the Wind River Mountains are still producing oil. It's the same story wherever the early "developers" discovered shallow oil deposits and went after the "black gold".

Anyway, I really enjoy thinking about the history of the areas I'm riding through and enjoyed your write-up about Oli City! I live in Virginia now and am fascinated by visiting sites our fore-fathers pioneered and "developed". I'm continually amazed by how ferking TOUGH those people were and how resilient our planet is. We visited an 1840's iron smelting site last weekend, very cool and thought-provoking. We live in the middle of some of the most hotly contested land in the Civil War so there are lots of battlefields around, but we don't visit them too often because they make us kind of sad... Lots of suffering and hardship.

So, do you still have the Harley from your earlier ride? My neighbor in Wyoming had one identical to that and rode the wheels off it. Are you liking the Beemer? When I brought my first BMW (an 1100RT ) home my wife took one look at it and asked, very seriously, "Will I ever see you again?" Yeah, baby, but only if you grab your helmet and come along! I've got an 1150GS now that will literally take us anywhere we want to go, just love it!

I really like your idea of appending an earlier ride report to continue your adventures rahter than posting a new thread each time, so if you don't mind I'm going to copy your idea for future ride reports I do! More please!

Doug
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #52
amknightrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
have beard,will travel

Enjoyed your ride report with regards to the pics. and the unusual text. A rewarding change from the usual ------- that mostly finds its way on here. I also ride for an education in life and geography. Thank again and well done. Alan
amknightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #53
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

amknightrider and manfromthestix, Gentlemen, your words encourage me to tap on, thank you.

I still have my Harley, it's a 2001 FXDX and without any apology I will say I love that damn thing! I gave it the summer off. Been trying to decide if I should get rid of the f650 for something much dirtier. Thinking DRZ 350/400 or just give up on off-road dreams and get a Sport Tourer with electronic everythings and enough horse power to tow a boat...
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #54
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

The next morning it was foggy. The weather, not me.

I walked around as the fog burned off, under and over the bridge that crosses the Allegheny River.

Many of PA's Blue Historical Markers dot this town.

I can't show all of them. I will need something to add to next year's RR.

Next, into the south side of town and breakfast.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #55
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,142
I still have my Harley, it's a 2001 FXDX and without any apology I will say I love that damn thing!

You don't have to apologize for loving your bike! I've known a lot of riders who put incredible miles on nekkid bikes like that and loved every minute of it. Once Harley resuscitated itself (after the AMF years , 1969 to 1981) they've done very well with reliability and ride-worthiness. Fuel injection helped immeasurably. They make good bikes these days. I remember the old saying during the AMF years - "a company cannot simultaneously manufacture bowling balls and motorcycles". Probably true back then, but the times, they are a-changin'! Just look at the broad spectrum of what Yamaha, Honda, Hyundai, etc. are into.

Speaking of sport-touring, as much as I loved my BMW-RT for long distance touring, it was horrid on gravel roads. I have a very long history of dirt riding and racing, so I love riding dirt, but that bike's geometry and tire combo just made it squirrelly as hell on the dirt. I had several dirt bikes, the RT, and the GS all at the same time and tried to ride them all but some just didn't get enough riding to warrant the expense of keeping the whole herd. When I moved from Wyoming I brought the RT and GS and sold my dirt bikes. I've since sold the RT because the GS is perfect for touring this part of the country with its vast array of ratty asphalt and gravel backroads, and it's quite capable and comfy on the high speed highways as well. It's just too damned big and heavy to be a real "dirt bike", though. I have grown to REALLY miss owning a true dirt bike and have recently begun looking around. I think the Yamaha WR250R is a great bike, but I kinda like more power than a 250, so I'm pondering the 450 and doing the deed to make it street legal. I've owned a number of Suzukis and loved them, but the Yamaha is more of a true dirt bike than the dual-sport oriented DRZ. I've decided that it's just not possible to live with only one motorcycle , and more power is always better.

Cheers, enjoyed the ride and history lessons, and am looking forward to more!

Doug
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #56
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,223
Mickey... I LOVE the water shots... HELL YEA>
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #57
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

I live in Baltimore. I think of it as a really big small town so i find it interesting when I am in an actual small town.

While some places have closed since my first visit like the Arby's. Not sure if anyone will really miss that but they might miss this.

There was some new construction, if you knew where to look .

As I walked around looking at the town I did notice people were noticing me. Small towns

Time for some food.

Back across the bridge.

Time to pack and go but two stops before the road.
1st

2nd

I spent all my fun and needed to make a withdraw. It's not good to travel without a little fun on hand.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #58
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Oh yeah, I should finish this.

Back on the road...

Another traveler.

More for the water tower thread.
Doe Hill Rd. off of Route 970 in Woodland, PA.

Doe Hill road gave me some great photos, to bad it was really short.

More sky.

And a new Facebook cover picture

Stopped for a break at a filling station/ BBQ stand. There were a few motorcycles and a scooter parked in the front 2 spaces. After I had a chance to have a drink I looked around for the other riders. While inside one of the Goldwings rode off. The other GW had a trike conversion and its people were climbing on board. I walked outside, gator-aid in hand, looking their way. I was going to say hello but they immediately pulled off instead and they could see me. I nearly went back in to check my deodorant. That left the Burgman. Feeling alittle jilted I decided to at least get a hello out of them. That's right, spite-friendliness . Sitting on the bench I snacked, checked and deleted photos and inhaled the scent of BBQ. It was the sticky sauce kind so I didn't have any. Sticky and beards don't go well together and sink bathing sucks. The Burgman couple made the scene, they even had to go past me and my f650 to reach their scoot. I raised my head to give 'em the nod. They didn't make eye contact. I thought about actually yelling "Hello". Instead I stood up pulled out my camera and took their picture...

In their matching glory they rode off. See the van just behind them, they were nice and talked about the weather... Nice.

I wasn't in a hurry to get home so I took a small detour. Hello MSF.

Rode through from the north heading south. Didn't pay attention to road names, some were paved others not. The day was slipping away, time to aim home.

WANT! maybe later

Too much wash but I like it.

The sun was getting low so I aimed for home.

One more water tower off of Chevro Dr. Easily seen from E. Baltimore St. (140) in Taneytown, MD and now an hour from home.

Home

for now...

Dynamick screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 04:30 AM Reason: Fix spelling, counts to me...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #59
mabuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Nice RR. I wasn't aware there was a beard competition held there annually. I recognized a couple of the names on the past winners shirt too!

Not much left in that little area as you witnessed, it seems to decline each time I go back. It should look very different by next years contest if you're back...word around town is that they city is planning on leveling two or three entire city blocks soon due to the buildings being vacant for so long, they have just become impossible to up keep. Sad really, it was a nice area for quite a while, but once Pennzoil and Quaker State packed up, a lot of people lost some of the only decently paying jobs that were there at the time.

Still some wonderful sights to see, nature wise, around there, but that's about all it has going for it any more.
mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #60
Dynamick OP
\dī-ˈna-mik\

Hey Mabuz, thanks for checking out my thread. Not too surprised that the city might do that, it is sad though. Maybe that could be the shot in the arm OC needs to regrow. The town has good bones, it just needs a little TLC.