User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Alice.in.Underpants OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Capulin Volcano- Tested new sleeping bag

this last week i bought a new sleeping bag and to test it out i decided to go to new mexico and camp at the capulin volcano. apparently there is no camping there so i stayed at a koa near there in raton, nm.

the new bag fits inside of the old one that gave me so many problems on my first journey out

SO much smaller! woot!

the ride down was pretty windy so i didnt take much in the way of pictures, but when i got to Raton, set up camp and then had dinner. the raton koa is like a parking lot so if you are looking for scenic camping- go somewhere else. also, if you DO have to stay there, sleep with your earplugs in because it is right off the street, and i would have honestly prefered one of those princess sleeping masks because the parking lot was lit all night, it was like forgetting to turn off you room light.

i hadnt eaten yet so this was especially delicious

then next day i relaxed a bit and then packed up and headed to lunch. i ate at K-Bob's Steakhouse. now if you want to eat a steaming pile of meat (a steaming pile of really delicious meat) and have what looked like a nice salad bar- this is the place to go. Its in raton, you seriously cant miss it, its right near the koa, which as a koa customer you get a 10% discount off your meal- which kindof made up for the parking lot chique).

after meeting with a local i set out to capulin volcano

its soooo cute!

this is the volcano, it doesnt look like much from the ground

but i assure you it was a breathtaking ride up, and i dont mean in beauty. though it was pretty, it was so vast and a long way down that... you had to pay attention- but not for too long, it was a fairly short ride up.

the view was spectacular though

and the rocks were weird, too- if you tapped on them they sounded hollow

the sign said this was a 103 foot incline

i just thought this was fascinating, i had never seen a real volcano, let alone stood at the vent of one. i always thought it was like a science project where you would fall into a giant vat of hot pudding if you stood too close to the outer ring of the crater. i am sure active volcanos are like that, but i couldnt ride to one of them in a day.

the local i met at lunch told me about a nice ride from capulin to folsom to branson to tijuana that links you back up to i25 from there so i decided to take that and i cannot thank that guy more, it was a beautiful, twisty ride with enough straights that i could really get into the throttle (still playing into mine since i only bought the bike a month or two ago). this really was a great sunday afternoon ride. there was no one on the road, so it really was just me and the view.

after i got to tijuana i stopped to refill my camel back and realized it was not on my back. i figure i must have left it at the volcano and someone just scored a nice new camelback (lucky bastard)... until i got to my bike and realized it didnt fall off the back, it just got stuck- right over the exhaust pipe...

oops... but it does still work, so i guess i really am a lucky son of a bitch. even more lucky that it didnt actually touch the pipe, just hung over the end so the exhaust itself melted it- it didnt melt all over the can... note to self, add "crap resting on bike- now off bike?" to checklist before takeoff.

my luck got even farther tapped when i got onto i25 from tijuana. i was tagged going 95 in a 75 and the state trooper and i just stood around talking bikes for about 30 minutes. i wanted to get a picture of him but i didnt want to push my luck... personally i think he was expecting some dirty dude to pop out of that helmet and was shocked to find some pink haired dirty girl with pigtails instead. in fact, he even mentioned it, we talked about my hair color for at least 7 of that 30 minutes.

just as i was pulling away from the officer i had a little trouble getting the bike to start. after a number of tries pushing the button it turned over and i was on my way to my next gas stop. i get to a 7-11, fill up, and i can not for the life of me get the bike to turn over. i had this problem with my 440 when i first got it. the story goes; the guy before me thought the starter was out and broke it while disassembling it. he put it all back together (in pieces) and gave the thing to my friend mountain who gave it to me. after we fixed the starter we traced everything back and thought, in theory, if we did everything correctly the bike should start. it did not because we realized there was a huge cobweb in between the button contacts. i felt confident that history was repeating itself with the b-rex so i took a gamble and took it apart in the parking lot of the 7-11 (there was good lighting there)

i evicted a spider and hit the contacts, the starter turned. great, so i put it all back together, retesting the contact after each thing i moved around just to make sure i wouldnt have to do it again, geared back up, and hit the button- nothing. ... so i took it all apart- again, and cleaned every part of the spring coil... every contact- the one thing i forgot in my tool kit? the ONE thing? a piece of sandpaper, so you can clean these contacts the first time. note to self. so i reassembled it, testing twice as often as i did last time, and finally got it to work again. after that 2 hour delay i was just happy that i got it to work. i was eyeballing the motel across the way so i am very happy i didnt need to go that route, i was only an hour away from home.

it was all in all an awesome trip, and i am glad i was lucky enough to go on it... and lucky in so many other ways, too. i think this might be the last trip for this year but i will have to see how things pan out. anywhere i go as winter sneaks up has to be farther and farther south to avoid winter actually catching me.

as for the sleeping bag i got the big agnes lulu. its a 15 degree synthetic. i like to sprawl out when i sleep- one of the benefits to being single. the big agnes gives you a lot or room to do that with. for good measure i have a thin fleece bedliner so i can kindof cuddle up a bit more and it was very comfortable. i do not have a thermometer as of yet but it was pretty chilly out if i were to make a guess at least 40, and i woke up with my zipper open.
Alice.in.Underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
robt272
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
nice report

but why the FLINT sticker?
robt272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 645
Glad to hear that you had some fun and adventure in NM. No emery board in the kit to keep the purple nails lookin' good (and the contacts clean)?

Did you talk you way outta the txt? "But officer this lil' bike of mine can't go over 80."

PS I have those same sheets on my bed, they stretch and get "baggy".
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Alice.in.Underpants OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill Dave
Glad to hear that you had some fun and adventure in NM. No emery board in the kit to keep the purple nails lookin' good (and the contacts clean)?

Did you talk you way outta the txt? "But officer this lil' bike of mine can't go over 80."

PS I have those same sheets on my bed, they stretch and get "baggy".
sadly my emery board is about 1/4 inch thick (its a "fancy" one but way too large to stick into those tiny coils. i was told later that the striker to a matchbook would have worked, but i just put some sandpaper into my tool kit

i dont know how i talked my way out of the ticket, i think i actually i may have just LAUGHED my way out of it because the cop was seriously just laughing at me the whole time.

and i dont know what you are doing to those sheets to make them "baggy" but i dont have that problem :) to be fair though, i do have this really oversized mattress that barely fits, so that may be why
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Alice.in.Underpants OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightventure
I usually run over the speed limit but going up Capulin was one place I stayed pretty close to the speed limit. Doesn't look like much from the ground but once you get up there it's pretty high. A freind of mine used to own a nice campground right in Capulin( the small town) but he sold it a few years ago and I don't know if it is still open or not.
i dont suspect it is because it said on the park website that there is no camping IN capulin but suggested to look outside to raton for some privately owned campsites.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 733
Thats a shame because he put a lot of work in for a couple of years improving a run down campground. I stayed there in 2002 but he sold out a couple of years later. Dang I hadn't even thought about the fact that it's been 8 years already. That was my first long trip on my touring bike.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote