User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Thumb Lookin' good...

I am enjoying your story and pics - great job!

Subscribed

Cheers
Allan
Old 10-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #32
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,190
Keep up the good work mate!

The greeness of the outback is astounding compared with what some of those areas looked like when we were there last year.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 788
Great pics - I'm totally sucking this RR in!!

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #34
Curryinahurry
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 527
Thumb Great RR!!

G'day Nathan...

Love your RR and Pictures mate....

Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your ride....

Good to see that you have spotted one of Oz's rarest creatures - Ozzie Brumbie Unicorn...

Looking forward to more Pictures...

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
2005 - Yamaha R1 (Disappeared into thin air!!)
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
Nathan OP
Why I laugh?

Oddometer: 556
Thanks for the comments, guys, really means a lot to me.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #36
Nathan OP
Why I laugh?

28/10/2010, Bourke

I camped out by the river. The crows were noisy and something was scurrying around outside my tent.

I found this on my tent while I was packing up. Freaky.

On the road nice and early, heading to Thargomindah, I spotted my first dingo. Unlike the 'roos and emus, this guy was smart enough to slink off the road and along a dry riverbed before I even got close to him.

A dust cloud on the side of the road turned out to be these guys.

Some water over the road sent me into a cold sweat. I slowed down to Granny-with-a-zimmer-frame speeds to prevent Elena from swallowing any more water.

From Thargomindah, I headed down to Bourke through Hungerford.

I had a drink and some food in Hungerford and chatted with the local cop for a bit. He reckoned BMWs were turds in the Outback because the trucks smash the dirt into bulldust, and then the Beemers sink like stones in the powdery muck.

The owners of the Hungerford Pub had just sold the property. I commented that a lot of publicans were trying to leave, and he said that it comes in waves. This time next year, we'll have a whole new set of pub owners having their dreams crushed by the harsh realities of the Outback.

Nice truck!

And back into NSW.

I fear these photos don't do justice to a truly stunning piece of road. Red dirt framed by silver trees contrasting with the blue sky.

I booked into a caravan park in Bourke, and met up with the yabby crew again. They were surprised to see me since, when we had parted ways, I was travelling in the opposite direction. I guess that's what happens when zero route planning and the threat of rain collide.

I spent some time cleaning Elena's engine and header pipe, and changing her filter skin (which was a mess after three days of dirt roads).

A couple of blokes were cooking dinner. Since the only place to plug my laptop in was next to the barbecue, I spent some time chatting to them. One of them was yelling enthusiastically into his cell phone about how great Bourke was. It seems he had turned up and scored with an aborigine chick on the first night, and had been shagging her for a week. He had five kids already and joked he'd probably have six soon. The guy didn't look older than mid twenties. Keep it on your pants, mate.

The other guy, Noel, had a terrible speech impediment. Chatting with him mostly involved me frantically trying to pick out key works and piece together what he was saying. He was a top bloke though. He offered me a can of VB because he said (I think) that riding a motorcycle was hard. We talked for a while and he offered me a second beer, then practically forced a third one on me before he went to bed.

Nathan screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 07:09 PM
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #37
linksIT
nOObie

Oddometer: 252

Great stuff, can't wait to see more.
linksIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #38
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 519
Terrific stuff Nathan.
Bendernz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #39
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 440
Great report
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:25 AM   #40
Desert2202
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Excellant report, I would love to get out there myself one day.

I think its amazing how you strap your gear to the bike and you dont have a single rack !! Well done
Old 10-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #41
Hammerfist7

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I found this on my tent while I was packing up. Freaky.

Hammerfist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #42
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,159
Nice RR. Bike pictures are great.

2008 YAMAHA FJR for sale: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973852
pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #43
Nathan OP
Why I laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKLR
Excellant report, I would love to get out there myself one day.

I think its amazing how you strap your gear to the bike and you dont have a single rack !! Well done
The grab rails/indicator mounts actually work surprisingly well. What's the point in having light soft luggage if you heavy it up with a big rack? Elena's rear fender and side panels are a little marked now, but that just adds to her charm.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #44
Nathan OP
Why I laugh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfist7
Well there we go. A cicada. He must be of the stealthy variety, because I didn't hear him at all.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #45
Nathan OP
Why I laugh?

29/10/2010, Cobar

I spent most of the morning faffing around at the caravan park in Bourke. But it started heating up near midday, so I figured I would check out the fancy History of Bourke attraction for the air conditioning. The lady at the counter said it was $20! Why would anyone pay $20 to learn about the history of Bourke?

I declined and decided to hit the road, following the Darling River back towards Wilcannia. That place is like a magnet.

Looking at the map, the road seems promising, but in reality it's terrible. It's quite busy (by outback standards), dusty, and you don't even get to see the river. I didn't even bother taking any photos.

The temperature and humidity were colluding to knock the stuffing out of me. Riding with the top of my jacket open did almost nothing to cool me down. I arrived in Louth hot and frazzled, got a drink and sandwich from the pub. The publican said the rain was still coming, and after some chatting I headed to Tilpa.

These pictures are crap, but they're all I have for the day.

Inside the Tilpa Hotel, there a was fat old lady behind the bar and a lone, old guy drinking. They spent 15 minutes talking about the chicken fingers she had given him a previous night. The guy must have been hammered, driven home from the pub, and he didn't know where the chicken fingers were now.

Then a bunch of 4WD guys came in. They all purchased some stubby holders for the princely sum of $8 each. The main attraction of said stubby holders being a hairy penis with legs running after a hairy vagina with legs and the caption: "Just one fucking thing after another." Classy.

I was intrigued by this basket. It's adds an exciting third dynamic to the classic soft luggage versus hard panniers debate.

And here's another random photo from Tilpa just because I feel like a knob for not having more photos of the day.

I decided to head to Cobar--instead of Wilcannia--to have more options if it did rain. My enduring memories of the road from Tilpa to Cobar will be of locusts. They were just starting to flying and swarm. For considerable portions of the road, I had to close my jacket up and ride through storms of the wretched insects. They get everywhere--including one going up my sleeve, which sent me into an emergency stop and a frantic panic to get my jacket off and remove it.

I stopped to clean my helmet visor, and a few kilometres down the road, it looked like this. Notice the locusts wedged into the top vent and sides of the visor.

And a random picture of a rest stop that was pretty enough that people seemed to be camping there.

I arrived at Cobar pretty damn sick of this whole adventure touring lark. Some days just suck and there ain't much you can do about it.

The guy in the caravan park wanted $18 for a camping site. When I tried to pay with my bank card, he changed the price to $19. I dunno about Aussie, but that's illegal in New Zealand.

It did finally rain a little bit in the night, but it sure as hell wasn't worth being chased across a third of the outback for.

Nathan screwed with this post 11-01-2010 at 12:58 PM