User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
France and Germany Ride

My good friend, Marvin, lives in France near Basel Switzerland.
We both grew up in the Seattle area.
This was in 1980
[IMG][/IMG]

This one about 1983
[IMG][/IMG]

Here we are in 1986
[IMG][/IMG]

A couple of years ago in 2008, while visiting, we took a very short but memorable ride through the French and German countryside. I rode the old 1990 BMW K 75 and Marvin rode the Ducatti 900. We only rode 50km but I never forgot that ride.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
So this Year I decided to go visit and do some longer rides. Here is the SanFrancisco Airport:
[IMG][/IMG]
I made it to Zurich Switzerland where Marvin picked me up from the airport.
The first plan was to take the neighbor's Porsche Carrera for a drive on Saturday Morning:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We got on to the German Autobahn near Marvin's house and were able to open up the Porsche. The car felt stable at 200km and we could have gone faster if we had the room. We slowed down to traffic speed of 160km and crossed over the the French side of the Rhine.
Then we looked for a small town called Kintzheim and found the place we were looking for. (later on that).
Next we drove in the mountains around the Chateau Haut Koenigsberg. This is a cool place to visit but we were driving not sight seeing.
One thing about the Porsche Carrera is it corners good. Very good! Marvin was taking the corners at a G force only found on amusement park rides designed to scare you or make you sick. Last time I went to Disneyland with my kids, I rode the train and watched the kids go on the rides...
After the first corner I began to wonder why I ate the dry cerial that morning.
Through the next corners I was remembering why I don't like amusement park rides, like the roller coaster. Marvin is having a great time so I am keeping quiet about my condition. I can do this, I can do this. Don't think about throwing up. Finally I said we may have to stop soon. How soon? RIGHT NOW!!! I lost my breakfast and felt somewhat better. We came into a really cool town called Ribeauville and stopped for coffee.
[IMG][/IMG]

Next We went to a different part of France and spent some time working on Marvin's house there. I know this is a motorcycle forum, but I have to keep things in order. The hope was to bring the Motorcycles in a van to this location and ride in the alps but Marvin's Ducatti was apart and in need of some special tools to repair.
[IMG][/IMG]
Our plan was to rent one Motorcycle for the weekend, while I rode the BMW K75.
Here is the house that needed some work: It had been a rental and now Marvin is moving back to it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Here it is from above, the third house from the right:
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is a view from the house:

This is looking out the front window:
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is the work project. We framed out the wall and put insulation in. Then we used a nice Tongue and groove siding to finish it off.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is the finished wall:

We went to dinner at a local ski resort town called Les Deux Alpes:
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is the view from the gas station in Les Bourg D' Oisans:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
It was truly beautiful there. It would have been cool to ride the roads but that was not to be.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now for the Motorcycle part

We spent almost a week in the alps and the plan was to return on Friday and ride on Saturday and Sunday. We drove home through Switzerland and the trip was not eventful therefore no pictures.
[IMG][/IMG]
Saturday morning we got up early and rode the BMW two up to Kintzheim, about 80km away. I enjoy riding 2 up when my wife is on the back and I am dirving. When I am behind another guy, it is a totally different story. In fact I can not remember riding behind someone for a very long time. We got to the rental place and Marvin rented a Honda Hornet 650. This guy had a few cool bikes to rent including a Honda Gold Wing and a Ducati monster.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
We began our ride through the mountain roads that we had driven on the previous Saturday in the Porsche.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
There were alot of other motorcycles out including the French Police
[IMG][/IMG]
The goal was to ride the Route Des Cretes:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The view was fantastic 360 degrees of countryside as far as the eye could see...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Although the day was warm there was just a bit of snow leftover from winter:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here I am:
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is Marvin:
[IMG][/IMG]
Marvin is a more aggressive rider than I am so he would often wait for me. He was waiting here and I wanted a picture, but he had left.
[IMG][/IMG]
This sign is at the beginning of the Route Des Cretes:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here we are filling up in a town.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Someone was selling this Suzuki Katana for 2000 Euros...
[IMG][/IMG]
In the morning Marvin gave me an extra cell phone in case I got lost or we got seperated. The ride home was through many small towns with roundabouts. Near his home, Marvin passed some slow vehicles on the straighaway. I could not pass them right away so I was behind them on a couple of roundabouts. I lost sight of Marvin, and he turned off the main road. I didn't see him and kept right on going. We were less than a mile from Marvin's house so he went home and called me. I turned around when I saw I was out of the town and went to the last round about. The phone was ringing so I stopped and took off my helmet.
Where are you?
I named the street.
Huh?
I am at the roundabout.
Which one?
I don't know.
Can you see the Church?
No.
Can you see the water tower?
No.
You have to be able to see the Church.
I can't.
Can you see the road that goes left?
Yes.
take it.
OK
I made it back.
We did a total of about 260km including the ride up to the rental place.
The weather was around 70 to 75 degrees F.
I was a little overheated in Marvin's riding pants. I had forgot to bring mine. That was a big mistake. Mine are much cooler.
More to come...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
PDL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
What a beautiful area! Looks like a great ride.
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,558
Superb ride! Thanks for the report and fantastic pics!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Great to see you and your long standing mate enjoying a great ride.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next day we rode into the Black Forest area of Germany. We went to Church in Kandern. The Church meets in a school and does not look like much. Here is Kandern:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
We had lunch at this greek place that serves Donor Kabobs. I have been there at least 2 other times and the food is great.
From there we headed East into Germany:
IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here we are at St. Blasien:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
There is this huge domed Church there
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
We went inside:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Then we walked around and found some ice cream:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Now we are headed toward Freiburg.
We got onto a road that was packed with cars and slowly made out way to Freiburg. We did not stop so I didn't get any pictures. It was getting rather warm so I wanted to go faster to cool off. After Freiburg, we went on to cross over the Rhine into France again.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Now it is time to return the Honda Hornet 600. We got to the rental place a little early and just waited. The total KMs on the honda were 450.
Now we had to ride back to Marvin's house 2 up on the BMW. I was dreading this ride but it turned out to be fine. We stayed off the autoroute and kept to smaller roads.
This pic was taken while moving through a small French town.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
We got home without incident. I was happy to get off the BMW and get into cooler clothes. When we returned, MArvin's neighbor was out working on the Porsche. He was installing different wheels and tires and had just fixed a problem. He was happy.
[IMG][/IMG]
The next day I am flying home out of Zurich. We had one last coffee together in the Airport at Starbucks.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
This is the single most expensive cup of coffee I have ever experienced. The Swiss Franc is trading at a little over 1 US dollar. 2 Cappicinos and 2 Scones were 20 Swiss Francs or about $21.00. Wow.
Marvin is coming back to the Seattle area in August for about 1 year. He has already purchased a project motorcycle that I am storing for him.
I was happy to be able to experience riding in France and Germany once again. I like the way the roads are there, we only encountered traffic lights in Freiburg, Germany. Everywhere else were traffic circles, which means you can ride for miles and miles without stopping.
The old BMW did fine but I hated the turn signals. I usually did not signal, since I was following Marvin. When we were on the Auto route, I did use the signals. Marvin told me to bring my riding pants but I forgot them. I used his and they were very hot. Mine are mesh and they tend to be good for higher temperatures. The weather was in the high 70's to low 80's both days of riding. All in all a mighty fine adventure.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is Marvin at my house last winter with his new project:[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Right next to my bike:
[IMG][/IMG]
We should have some good rides over here later this summer!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
andyff013
Fireman

Oddometer: 26
Great pictures , thanks for posting.
I have been a couple of times to the Black Forest and also to the Vosges in France which rates for me a great motorcycling area which is`nt too far from the UK.
andyff013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
You know... measure twice and cut once and you could avoid problems like this... ;)

Great report - nice 911...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We were leaving the hole for a bigger window.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The other car that the neighbor has in his garage is a mid 1980's Porsche 930 Turbo. We did not drive that one, but Marvin has.