Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #136
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Nice work guys!!! This is the first opportunity I found to log back on since leaving Wednesday...Good to see your all still going strong! and Flanny was able to continue riding!!! That was a pleasant surprise!!!

I'll be working on getting some photo's up shortly...

Gregor troubleshooting Johns HUSA (that dress is just spectacular!!!)
(Btw..remeber the days we used wrenches to fix bikes? now it a laptop and multi meter..LOL)

Something touches my heart...when I ride in the back, and see my buddies up front on their bikes, with a trail ahead, and the mountains off in the horizon...sounds corny, but these are memories that will forever remain in my soul...

More to come...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #137
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
This crew has a great energy. Flanny and Gino are like the brothers in Ocean's 11, constantly at each other and yet also taking care of each other. It's a laugh a minute to be around.

I came downstairs before anyone else was up to this:

This crew travels with more laptops, and digital accessories than you can shake a stick at, not to mention cameras. They know their stuff, though, you can tell that by the final product!

Now that's how a garage should look...

The final product of our early morning loading:

Then we were off to the Moab Diner for breakfast, and then on to the trails.

Leaving our parking spot:

The first interesting section:

Gregor testing the compression circuits on his suspension:

Gino on rails:

Let me out!

Through!

Heading back up out of the wash:

We deliberated for a while the best plan. I was going to meet a friend out North of Green River on Saturday, so I decided to head West while they headed East.

The parking lot moments after they departed:

After so much positive energy, it felt empty and lonely.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #138
famoadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142

After so much positive energy, it felt empty and lonely.[/QUOTE]

Wonderful ride report - also your journey to meet the Manhattan Mob!

Happy Trails!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
(Ernest Hemingway)

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 KTM Super Duke
2001 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
famoadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #139
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Fantastic riders and great photographers make for a SUPER road report!!!!!!

Oh and the write up was great too.

Again, Thanks so much.

If there are blogs, then please linky them for us.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #140
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 866
Hey

Gregor, Tom, John, Paul (and the rest that we missed on Sat night),

It was great to meet up with you guys if even for a few minutes last night. Let me know next time you are coming west and we can connect and maybe even explore a few other places. If you ever get to Salt Lake send me a note.

Fantastic report...keep the pictures coming.

-Phil
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #141
OUTsane
rerutnevdA

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama

Awesome shot, this is my new wallpaper!
OUTsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #142
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,395
Last day

Well before dawn on Saturday Flanny, Chris and Gino high tailed it out of Moab and back to Grand Junction to catch their respective flights home. Tom, Clipper, John and I stayed on for one more day of riding.

We got up and had a late breakfast and decided to head out to the Porcupine rim trail. I'd done the full trail a few years back but it's since been closed as too many people were hurt trying to clear the crux down in the canyon. We just wanted to see the views but Tom's bike stalled and lost the e-start and we traced it to a bad starter relay.

We decided to head down to Fins and Things and Tom decided to head back to the condo as he was having trouble kicking over his 450. Clipper, John and I rode the northern section of Fin's and Things which was basically steep rolling slickrock interspersed with deep sand roads.

The southern section of Fins and Things is a bit more interesting with some fairly steep sections. There are parts so steep that you can't walk up them but you can ride them if you trust the bike. At first John didn't think it was even possible and then he was zipping up and down this face.

Then Clipper joined in. It's so hard to convey the steepness...

...but the beauty is easy to capture. This place is amazing.

From there we headed over to Hell's Revenge. I've never ridden, pedaled or driven it but I've crossed it many times on Slickrock and it seemed like an easy one to knock off. Silly me.

Hell's Revenge has nothing really technical but it is steep. There are sections where the front wheel is just skipping along barely touching the rock as you climb. Sadly John somehow tucked the front on a decent and managed to bang himself up a bit. At the top we came across these huge "bath tubs" that are famous for flipping Jeeps. Clipper eyes this one but the water in the bottom made it a non starter.

There was a smaller one right next to it and we had a good time dropping in and climbing out.

Of course, just like the last ski run out last trail didn't go too well. Clipper and I were playing up and down and then Clipper stopped mid climb. I tried to avoid him and ended up on a sand covered off camber and spun the bike right out from under me. I faired fine but my bikes left side controls were well ground down. Clipper backed down and somehow slipped on the sand and the bike landed on his thumb and foot.

Well, our injuries to bike and body are mostly superficial (except for Flanny) but it's hard to get out of Moab completely unscathed. I think, though, that the whole trip was more than worthwhile. I can't wait to go back.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #143
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
enjoyed following along with you guys. The injuries fade, the great memories with friends endure.

As I'm sitting here an icy mix of rain/snow/sleet is hitting the window next to my desk. Your photos hit the spot!
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #144
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,091
Saw a bunch of pics from the trip on Facebook, but it no way near compares to these pics, and the story you guys told. So jealous, I want to go there next summer.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #145
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,830
Thanks for the many reference points of interest to check out on my next trip west.

Amazing pics, well done RR.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #146
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,374
Gregor
That last batch of pics were amazing, sucks I missed the last few days!!
Next year??
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #147
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,461
Great report guys. The pics are great and the stories are vivid. I love riding in Utah!

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #148
neduro
Addict

I found a rock that offered some shade and considered my options for a while. A friend wanted to ride further West tomorrow, and I was inclined to join him. My van and all my stuff was to the East, in Grand Junction. I have a lot on my plate right now, and going East would allow me to grab my computer and get to work on it. Going West meant nothing would get done for 2 more days.

The decision was easy when I tried to remember the last evening I had with nothing to do, no one to see, nowhere to be, and I couldn't. I got on the bike and meandered West.

There are some neat old buildings out in the desert, usually I race by but today I explored a little:

One of the things I love about riding is that we operate at a level that's a little different to most people. Here I am underneath the popular route across Utah- I-70:

I grabbed a room that opened outdoors, got some dinner, and then did pretty much nothing. And enjoyed the heck out of it.

Everything I have along, i'm standing naked as I take this pic:

When you subtract my gear, it's not much. I was self-contained in a small camelback.

It's a good feeling to have a few hours with nothing written on them. I watched some TV (I don't own one so this is pretty novel for me) and studied my toenails and eventually the inside of my eyelids. Life is good.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #149
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportutah.com
Moab Myth you don't really need trials tires unless you like to spend the money and you can't ride them out on a flat no sidewalls they just drop to the rim I'll never run them in the desert as for air I run 19-21lbs just to help from getting pinch flats @ high speeds here
While I would agree you don't NEED a trials tire to ride in Moab...why WOULDN'T you run a trials tire??

19-21 lbs on a trials tire? What on earth for?!? You'll rub all the middle knobs right off...ask me how I know...

I run Bridgestone UHD tubes both front and rear, have ridden through tons of rocks and have never had a pinch flat (knock on wood) and run 8-10 PSI in the trials tire, and 13-15 up front with a Bridgestone 603 or Pirelli Scorpion Heavy Duty.

Looks like a little too much air pressure :P
Quote:

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]

Strega screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 11:29 AM
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #150
neduro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega
why WOULDN'T you run a trials tire??
Because you can't go fast on them for long without throwing knobs, you can't pitch and drift in the sand, which might or might not be faster but sure as hell is more fun, and you can't whomp on the throttle very hard anywhere without tearing them up.