Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #151
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,412
YOu got some skills there Ned

Add you to the list of guys I can't keep up with

Great ride report guys. Love Moab. Seeing the pix I can see the whole trail in my minds eye..."Ohhhh, I know right where they are!"
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #152
JohnHa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
My photos seem to be getting crappier and crappier, but here are just a few more and then I'm done.

I left my mark at Hell's Revenge. Ouch.

Clipper contemplates riding Devil's Highway Hot Tub

And Gregor orders the small cinnamon bun for breakfast.
JohnHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #153
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,484
Nice report guys.

You picked the perfect time of year for Moab.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #154
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega
While I would agree you don't NEED a trials tire to ride in Moab...why WOULDN'T you run a trials tire??
I had mixed feelings about the trials tire. Clipper swore by it so I went with one and for some reason it was all over the place. Even on hard dirt the tire made my bike weave like a drunken sailor. I get that they do that a little but no one else's did it as bad as mine. John's Husa had one and his bike tracked fine. I think my tire must have had a broken bead or been defective.

I swapped it back out for the knobby after two days and I was sort of blown away how much worse the knobby was. I took the trials tire's traction for granted and the knobby was awful. It slid all over the rock, it never really hooked up and it was worse in the sand believe it or not. I'm going to get another and see since I think mine was a bad one but the traction was pretty amazing.

I can see why Ned wouldn't want one as he's basically scorching the tire all the time but I liked the ability to ride huge off cambers with grip. It also made slower moves much easier so there was less attacking. If I hadn't swapped back it wouldn't have been so obvious but I do think it's a great tire for Moab.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 AM   #155
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
I woke up Saturday morning on a mission.

The owner of the shop I buy my bikes and parts from (KTM of Aspen- the best guys, they are super knowledgeable, keep everything in stock, and are as passionate about riding as I am) was riding in another favorite place of mine so I was off to meet him.

The ride there is through a clay area that changes every time I ride there. The only trails that last are the ridge top runs, which are like powder skiing- you have to be really quick and responsive, because you never know what's coming next.

Stitching it together is very satisfying, and despite the near freezing temperatures, I was not the least bit cold.

When the ridges run out, you grab some service roads, this one was built this spring and already shows why you have to be on your game:

An old railroad tunnel:

I met up with Mike as planned, and we took off. We started riding some of the old favorites, and then, at the same time, we both said "let's go exploring". Neither of us had ridden the trails that are on the far North end of this area to their conclusion, so off we went to find some new stuff.

Mike used to be a Camel Trophy competitor, so exploring comes naturally to him. Soon we were on a well used cow track following a little stream, fortunately cows have similar terrain requirements to dirtbikes, so they don't often go places we can't follow.

The cattle trail was working well, and we both remarked at how surprised we were by how orderly it was.

Maybe we shouldn't have been. We came around a corner to see an Obelisk marking a grave:

The dates on the grave are 1877 to 1919.

It is a really beautiful spot. We both remarked that we wouldn't mind being laid to rest here, with a dirtbike for company of course, just in case there are loamy turns in the afterlife.

Of course this only piqued our curiosity, so we headed on around the corner and came out at an abandoned settlement.

None of my pictures do it justice- there are about 10-12 houses, corrals, stone supply rooms, stone benches, even still some pots hanging on walls.

When you are in such a place, you can't help but spend some time thinking about how life must have been. We imagined this was a mormon spot, maybe each wife had a house, who knows? It's great to let your imagination run around for a while on these things.

All of the buildings were made out of Pine, which doesn't grow within quite a few miles of here. Whoever lived here, they did some trading!

We enjoyed some good dark chocolate under the shade of a cottonwood, and then started to find our way out out. To me, all good rides have a little exploration in them, and this was a great one. We even found a new section of abandoned road:

After a late lunch, I parted company with Mike and took off for Grand Junction.

Not much left:

I love the detritus left over from another era:

I made it back to Grand Junction just at nightfall, just shy of 500 miles done over the last 3 days, and lots of smiles. I love these rides, where I follow my nose with not too much of a plan, not too much preparation, and just have to use my wits to make it work. It's an elemental feeling of freedom, I think, and it was worth the beating I'm now taking for the work I did not do back home.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #156
famoadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Oam

On A Mission. Neduro! Great report, great ride and great photographs! This is the essence of the Adventure spirit. Your economy of words and wealth of images let's me fill in the blanks...

Thanks for posting.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
(Ernest Hemingway)

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 KTM Super Duke
2001 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
famoadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #157
spick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I've often wondered what the riding was like in Moab. This confirms my suspicions and now I'll have to go. Damn it!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #158
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,659
Well written, great shots, and a cool tale overall. Nice to catch you on the phone the other day Ned!

Snowing here now, it was fun to visit the desert through this report.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #159
Muskoka
Traveler Relations

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by spick
I've often wondered what the riding was like in Moab. This confirms my suspicions and now I'll have to go. Damn it!

NAH!

Just move here! It is a great place to live, keep out of Moab itself (way too hot!) but Utah is a lovely state.
"Use what you know, to do good as you go."
www.TheMuskokafoundation.org
Follow us on Twitter: @DoGoodAsYouGo

The NEW Calenders are in! Please check them out!

Muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #160
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Here's a little vid of James and I, on Saturday, Oct 30...Just outside Grand Junction...A couple local ADV guys (Jim and Frank) showed us around...

They don't make hills like this in New Jersey ...(or anywhere on the east coast)

This was our warm up ride...Unedited version...

">ftp://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=16679924&server=vimeo.com&sh ow_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00A DEF&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0" />

toofast4uu screwed with this post 11-09-2010 at 07:49 PM
toofast4uu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #161
JohnHa
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice vid, dude!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #162
JohnHa
Gnarly Adventurer

Flanny, how about some Flanny-vision! Give us something to watch.

p.s. and please post an updated hand photo. Is it still hugely swollen?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #163
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHa
Flanny, how about some Flanny-vision! Give us something to watch.

p.s. and please post an updated hand photo. Is it still hugely swollen?

I'll post some stuff up this weekend. And yes - the hand is still pretty swolen, and seems to hurt more and more each day.

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #164
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
I'll post some stuff up this weekend. And yes - the hand is still pretty swolen, and seems to hurt more and more each day.

Looks like I signed a little bit of artwork for your office wall, but I really think this deserves some space on the wall.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #165
Rockin Rollin
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Eh?

Wow! Great report & pics. Looks like you guys had a blast.
Reading the report kinda begs a question though as that you all wore dresses.
Where you guys sharing rooms? Sleeping together? Hmm...
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote