Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #121
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,365
Today was supposed to be a little bigger day but our big days are like other peoples rest days. We decided to do Kane's Creek as a completely different sort of trail, one that followed a creek at the bottom of a canyon. At first it seemed like the trail just ended at the stream but I remembered from reading the guide book that the trail often went straight down the creek and so we did.

The trail came to a step up that had a steel bridge for the quads. I don't care for quads and this bridge only made it harder for the bikes. After the creek your tires were wet and you couldn't ride up the steel and the rocks were too open so we spent a while filling in the space between the steel rails.

Flanny has become the injury magnet for the trip. While we were filling in rocks a rock got kicked up from a bike and caught Flanny on his hand. Poor guy.

After the tight canyon it opened up to a sandy stream where the crew just railed. It was some of the most fun riding of the trip.

After Kane we did Amasa Back which, at the end of the day, wasn't one of the smarter things. The steps down weren't so bad.

Headed up I managed to loop the Husaberg a full 360 and sent it right off the edge. She started right up after that. I think Tom has this from another angle. Damn over coverage.

Oh, here's Flanny's hand. Poor guy.

Tonight Neduro stopped by and is going to lead us around the dunes north of town tomorrow. Looking forward.

Gregor

sakurama screwed with this post 11-09-2010 at 05:22 AM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #122
JohnHa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155

Just like back at home.

Dangerous & Illegal

G shows us how it's done.

They got the damn hot-tub muddy.

Half a Rubicon.
JohnHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #123
salute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
nice report fellas..........I grew up in Jersey and took some trips out west when I was in college. I now have been in Utah for 10 years. Its a great place if you're into the outdoors even though there's no pizza or bagels. Also, nice pics---I too am a photographer in SLC. I find myself always trying to carry more and more photo gear on the bike............and then I end up just riding because its so damn fun. Enjoy the rest of the trip.
salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #124
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 152
I love your report. Been 2 years since my "annual" Moab trip has happened. Kane is a favorite of mine. That creek is MADE for fast riding, huh?
If you're going to the north, you have got to be hitting Bartlett Wash, and Tusher Canyon. It is a no-miss for any Moab adventure. Plus, Sovereign Singletrack on the east side of the highway is SO much fun it's almost criminal.
Have fun.
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #125
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Flanny you need a bubble to ride in hope you are feeling okay!
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #126
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
Some freaking sweet pics gentlemen, very very impressive

ps...toughen up Flanny your making us Canadians look weak Just joking, hope your knee and hand aren't hurting too bad.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #127
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Crisp pictures, men. Fantastic! You already posted something about your equipment. If I am wrong, please post the type, make , model number of that camera.

Thanks for sharing.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #128
JohnHa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
Crisp pictures, men. Fantastic! You already posted something about your equipment. If I am wrong, please post the type, make , model number of that camera.
Thanks, I'm using a BlackBerry 8700.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #129
x1valin1x
tommy

Oddometer: 72
just one

20101025 Moab 425 wip
x1valin1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #130
JohnHa
Gnarly Adventurer

No real photos today. Just a couple goofy ones.

"I am NOT an ANIMALLLLLLLLL"

The toughest guys wear the prettiest dresses.

The broken leg and broken hand didn't seem to faze the unstoppable Flanmeister.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #131
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
ouch
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #132
Muskoka
Traveler Relations

Oddometer: 47
Great trip!

Hey that is a super trip you have there!

If yall are still there, you should seriously check out Hells Revenge. You will be amazed at what you can ride up, and the trail is a blast!

Oh and the jeep in the resturant (great food there by the by) is not a rubicon, and most of us with jeeps think it is a bit dorky that he put that sticker on an old 1992 yj.

You should also eat at Pasta Joe's. Italian, and wonderful! wow they can make some good stuff, including the gnocchi.

I will also confess that living only two and a half hours from Moab has its perks. Went five times this year, but I am still jealous of yall!
"Use what you know, to do good as you go."
www.TheMuskokafoundation.org
Follow us on Twitter: @DoGoodAsYouGo

The NEW Calenders are in! Please check them out!

Muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #133
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz

Thanks for sharing.
John's being modest (and a smartass). He's actually using a Ricoh GR fixed lens point and shoot which is one of the best point and shoots out there. He shoots all in raw and post processes.

Tom and I are using Canon 5D mkii's which is perhaps one of the best cameras out there under $10K (actually $2500) and we're using L lenses which are noticeably sharper. We carry the 24-70 f2.8 on the camera and share a 70-200 f2.8 IS for the occasional long shot. Between the glass and the tools I carry my camelbak is about 30lbs.

A lot can be attributed to our post processing - we tweak the temperature, curves, saturation and sharpness in Capture One which is a software similar to Lightroom but most of it can be attributed to our experience.

Gregor
Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #134
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
I'm almost ashamed to share photos in this report, the rest of the photos here are so beautiful. Get ready for a lower standard!

Sometimes you meet someone and right away you know you'd like to spend more time with them. That was the feeling I had when I first met Gregor some years ago... so when I heard that he was planning a trip out here, I thought it would be fun to go meet them. When their trip coincided with freakishly great weather for the time of year, I thought it would be fun to take it up a notch, and make a big loop on my 530.

So, after riding all day in Buena Vista on Wednesday (sorry, no pics) I drove to a friends house in Grand Junction. Thursday morning we did maintenance on my bike, then he headed for work and I headed for the Desert.

Leaving Grand Junction bright and late on Thursday morning:

My route was intended to have some of everything- pavement, graded road, two track, singletrack. It delivered!

I kept to the North as I headed for the state line. I don't know these roads, but any road will do, just take the fork that looks like more where you want to go. It's really fun to navigate by dead reckoning instead of a map, especially alone because you don't have to slow to keep the group together.

Things didn't go well for this dude:

At least now I know where I am:

Now I turn South onto singletrack. There's plenty of moisture, so the traction is phenomenal, and I'm really enjoying using it.

Riding alone in these conditions takes real concentration, because even a little slip can leave you with a mechanical or health problem that could be very serious with no one to assist. I try not to use the gas hard or the brakes hard, I don't go slowly but that helps me keep a margin.

Singletrack gives way to desert two track, going West now.

I use a little of the Kokopelli trail, just for efficiency...

I met some people from the USGS doing a survey on the effects of an asian Tamarisk killing beetle, we had a pleasant chat but I forgot to take a picture. Tamarisk has transformed the shores of Western rivers since it was introduced/ invaded last century. I wish I'd gotten to see the Colorado with nothing but the native Cottonwoods!

Sprinkled through the desert are little mining sites, I like to look at them and try to figure out the story, the arrangement of buildings, and to imagine what it would have been life to exist there.

When people talk about "preserving" the desert, it makes me wonder how much time they've spent poking around out there- there's hardly a hill or valley that doesn't have a road or mine or something human somewhere in it. We need sensible management to be sure, but the desert is something that has been evolving forever and will continue to with or without us. I haven't found any such thing as pristine old growth desert.

Back on little two tracks, it was a really wet year, I've never seen so much vegetation out here. Usually it looks barren.

I make the corner onto Salt Valley Road and promptly drop reserve. 140ish miles so far, 120 since filling up in Loma:

From here I hook onto the Sovereign singletrack, of which I did not take a picture, and make it to the Shell station at 313 much earlier than I hoped, around 3:15.

With gas back in the bike, the world is my oyster!

Gregor and I had discussed them riding at Monitor and Merrimack, so I thought I'd head up there and see if I could find them. I ran the loop around the Southern butte, checked out Wipeout hill, and decided I had missed them. With about 2 hours of light left, I thought I could try a route I haven't ridden in a few years- Gold Bar Rim to Golden Spike to Poison Spider. This was one of the trails that I learned to ride on, and I was looking forward to seeing it again.

On my way up Gemini Bridges, I saw a Mountain Goat, and got to follow along with it for some time- he was first far below the road, then crossed and then hopped along above it, unconcerned with my presence. A mountain biker and I spent a few minutes watching him, I completely forgot to take a picture.

Yeah, I guess it's kind of a neat place...

Up on the rim, looking down at Moab:

On Poison Spider:

Somewhere around here, I got properly lost. The light was really beautiful, but made spotting the paint on the rocks very difficult. I spent quite a bit of time circling, trying to find where the trail went on. I had plenty of gas and a good headlight, so it wasn't really a big risk, but it could be hard to pick my way out at night, and I was hoping to avoid that!

I made it to the house before dark, and immediately made to feel at home. After years of Flannyvision I got to finally meet the crazy Canadian, along with Gino and Paul and Chris and John and Tom and the rest of the gang. Good times!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #135
sakurama OP
on an endless build

So Neduro met us Thursday night for dinner and crashed at our condo. Being a far more serious rider than us and greatly overestimating our stamina we all agreed (except for Chris who is allergic to mornings) to get up early in an attempt to get on the trail by a reasonable hour. We were up before dawn loading bikes.

The stars were just incredible - we can never see them like this in the east coast.

We got to the White Wash dunes at 10am and suited up and Ned lead us down a canyon the back way to the dunes and we proceeded to screw around for a little while. Ned, of course, has the dunes wired but it was a new experience for all of us but Clipper. Here's Ned:

From there we followed Ned down sand washes and canyons to a little slot canyon.

After a few struggled with some of the moves required it was asked if there was, perhaps, an easier way to get wherever we were going and Ned looked confused, "Umm, this is my beginner route..." Thankfully the slot canyon only looked hard and everyone managed to clear the steps and drops.

Clipper, of course, is like the quiet blackbelt - always modest and always clearing every single thing like it was a walk in the park. His lines are always smooth and graceful and he's never working very hard.

Ned, on the other hand, saves a huge amount on front tires by rarely using them. Gino, the wheelie king, was amazed watching Ned, "Oh my god. He can wheelie over anything, even if it's bumpy!"

The little canyons and washes were really incredible and we had a great time riding up the walls and splashing through the water.

At one point the trail went from the wash to this incredible tunnel of scrub brush up against the wall. It's safe to say that if we'd gone to the dunes without Ned we'd have seen only about 5% of what we saw.

At some point Flanny had given Ned his pink dress which of course was our induction. Ned looked smashing but unfortunately for us the humiliation didn't seem to slow him down one bit.

We continued to follow the slot canyons and ride in and out of the stream and it was really just amazing riding. We all agreed it was better than the Pine Barrons.

After a few hours we came across a father and son we'd passed two hours before. When we'd passed them the first time they'd holed a radiator but said they were fine and were just going to ride it out. Two hours later they'd moved 50' and were stuck in "average quicksand" according to Ned.

We all felt a little bad for the kid. His dad is freaking out because he can't get the bike unstuck and then a big group of guys shows up and watches as a guy wearing a pink dress gets the bike out of the quicksand and then we all ride off.

Yeah, he'll be telling a therapist about that one someday.

We retraced the canyons and got the chance to ride some of the drops and stepups the other way.

When we hit the sand wash it was a flat out free for all. I thought we were doing 50-60 but later, looking at my GPS we'd hit 84mph. It was a blast.

Back at the truck is was only 1pm but our crew was completely decimated. Ned was ready to do more but we'd neglected to bring lunch and decided to use that excuse to call it an early day and high tale it to the hot tub. A big thanks to Ned for showing us some amazing trail!

Gregor