Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #46
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,791
Let's get some more action on this thread...

My name is Pat (Patricia) and I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer. I've had a wrench in my hand since I was about 3 years old when I insisted on helping my father overhaul his Oliver tractor to get it ready for the Tractor Pull at the county fair.

I've had my hands on a number of different bikes over the years but work kept me on the road so much that I'd even turned routine things over to the dealer. My recent work has been electrical or farkle type items added to the bikes. Now that I'm retired, the cost of the dealer work is what will drive me back to getting my hands dirty.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #47
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,928
Since I won't be riding for a few months, I should take the opportunity to start working on my NX250. It has been sadly ignored over the last several years. It needs a valve adjustment and a coolant change. The steering bearings are shot but that might be more of an adventure than I am ready to tackle at this point. According to the service manual I will have to dismember the poor thing. I have a poor track record with dismembered vehicles. I have a '53 Farmall Cub in pieces in my garage.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #48
Powermel1
Adventurer in Training

Oddometer: 357
Hi from across the Pacific

Hi there everyone,

No sure how I might be able to be part of this, perhaps virtually rather than F2F.

Fantastic initiaitve, I too do the basics, and a bit moree with assistance, but keen to do more.

Also wanted you to know we used to have a (small) group of friends called the Torque Wenches!

Have fun, and I'll keep in touch.
William Orville Douglas
Powermel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #49
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 3,978
Die Werkstatte SF

There is a very well respected moto repair shop in San Francisco called Die Werkstatte, lots of women wrenches. Jennifer Bromme is the owner.

http://www.werkstattsf.com/

Werkstatt Motorcycles is proud to be voted "Best Motorcycle Repair in the Bay Area" in SFGate's BAYLIST 2010 and "Best Motorcycle Mechanics" in the San Francisco Bay Guardian's "Best of the Bay 2010" Reader's Choice!! Thank you for your support; we are honored!

Werkstatt Motorcycles is a woman founded, owned and run motorcycle shop in San Francisco dedicated to excellent and personable service! We have proudly been serving the Bay Area since 1994.

The owner, Jenn.

A photo shoot about them: http://cshook.wordpress.com/2009/07/...s-photo-shoot/

Jennifer Bromme welcomes you to the 15th Anniversary Party for Die Werkstatt

*Good Luck with your WW website, Shogs.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #50
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,751
WOW that is a cool post nomile!!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #51
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,928
I am suffering from PMS - Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

I've been out in the cold garage trying to figure out the accessory wiring done by my bike's first owner. There is a copper spaghetti monster under the seat of my bike. I've figured most of it out but I might redo some of it. I want to add another Powerlet outlet and change the switch to my Motolights. I don't really need the outlet and the old switch works fine but I still have the need to fiddle with it. Electrons and I don't always get along so this might get interesting.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #52
brazen13
woot.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Love it!!
brazen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #53
Belle Sinclair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Well, we call it spannering over here but it's the same thing. I've currently got my bike in pieces - complete strip down and rebuild - before a long ride in the summer. Love it.
Belle Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #54
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,380
Just found out one of the semi-local HD dealerships is having a women-only garage day in mid-March and I'm looking forward to go! The "deepest" I've ever gone into my bike was adjusting the chain last week: I don't know how the Dude made it seem so danged complicated (or maybe I just thought it was) but I went in there with a "This is easy" attitude and a few simple verbal instructions, and was done in 10 minutes. Easy-peasy. Next up is replacing my 1.5" lowering link with something a bit higher (my Wee bottoms out too easy nowadays), which if I'm not too busy I'll do tomorrow.

I visited the WW website and it says still under construction, how goes the site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #55
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
Just found out one of the semi-local HD dealerships is having a women-only garage day in mid-March and I'm looking forward to go! The "deepest" I've ever gone into my bike was adjusting the chain last week: I don't know how the Dude made it seem so danged complicated (or maybe I just thought it was) but I went in there with a "This is easy" attitude and a few simple verbal instructions, and was done in 10 minutes. Easy-peasy. Next up is replacing my 1.5" lowering link with something a bit higher (my Wee bottoms out too easy nowadays), which if I'm not too busy I'll do tomorrow.

I visited the WW website and it says still under construction, how goes the site?
Cool story!

My web developer said he will have it up in Beta mode this week.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #56
Roadrunner
(Negativus Supersonicus)

Oddometer: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post

Electrons and I don't always get along so this might get interesting.
But you may have found a cure!

"System change is not for the conceptually or interpersonally fainthearted." - Sarason
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #57
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
Just came across this, and I have got to say it is a fantastic idea.

Even though I'm a bloke I had minimal help from my dad with doing mechanical work and had to teach myself which end of the spanner does what. My first big effort was buying two rolling wreck cars and making one good one out of it. Sure it was an old bomb, but it was my bomb and the satisfaction in getting that old bird working (mostly without outside help, aside from needing extra hands when doing an engine swap) was absolutely priceless. Learning from friends/mentors is one thing, but figuring something out yourself is absolutely priceless.

I can also understand the barriers, perceived or otherwise. The more of you that put your best foot forward, the stronger you & your mutual goals will be. Best of luck, i hope this thread & the ww.com site becomes a resounding success.

Consider me subscribed.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #58
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,870
Hi, Shogs!

Went looking for your epic RR but found this thread first. Just wanted you to know that I did read every word of your saga, much of it more than once. And I paid attention, too. Thursday of last week the ground here thawed out a bit unevenly and some dummy who shall remain nameless (but his initials are ME) had parked the RS without putting a board under the centerstand, with predictable results.

There's a "new" set of Z-bars, and cases, on the way but there's an Enduro Sunday, just ~90 miles away, and I have a "new" tent - you do understand that "new"means goodies from the Flea Market, I trust - that is crying out to be broken in. So I did what any rider would; I fixed the right side sidecase and Z-bar Shoganai style.

Best wishes on your new (no " marks) site. And if Steverino or any other Inmate should ever be broken down in Palestine, TX, I'm only about 40 miles away. Yeah, yeah, I know - day late, dollar short.

Dave/"garfey"

Attached Images

Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #59
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,870
And ...

... Z-Bar
(gotta love tie-wraps)
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #60
garfey