User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Indie-tas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Backroad mapping Tasmania

Well today i was out to do some more mapping.

I have been doing a lot on OSM Maps
Lately and had a gap that needed filling, it was buggin me.

Route map Here

The first map with yellow dots shows the gap i had to fill, this was not going to be a mass adventure but just a nice couple of hours. Map 2 shows the bits i filled in today.

Map 1

Map 2

Okay that the plan, now some pics.

Overview of where im heading *bush*

Had a couple of Geocaches to pic up on the way.

Decided not to do this alone

Just a stream

Also wanted to find this trig point.was well into scrub now days.

Just a track

Suzi strom smiling after a little hill climb on dirt.

No Suzi strom you are not a swamp boat.

After doing the section for my join the dots i decided i would try and get up to the Takone Radar tower, yay i made it, thins are drying out well.

Have tried this before but due to a locked gate and a dirt track around said gate i have been up there.

I dont care if it is non ionizing radiation, i aint goin in .

I could see for miles, awsome

Trig point
Quote:
A triangulation station, also known as a triangulation pillar, trigonometrical station, trigonometrical point, trig station, trig beacon or trig point, and sometimes informally as a trig, is a fixed surveying station, used in geodetic surveying and other surveying projects in its vicinity. The names of triangulation stations vary regionally; they are generally known as trigonometrical stations in North America, trig points in the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia, and trig beacons in South Africa; triangulation pillar is the more formal term for the concrete columns found in the UK.
Thanks for looking into my backyard.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Indie-tas OP
Adventurer

Backroad mapping Tasmania 1

Managed to get out and do a 4 Hr ride today.

Just went out for a bit of a look around some tracks that i wish to do in more depth later when the weather dries up some.

Had a great day even though there was some light showers about, most of the riding was done on gravel roads.

There are so many tracks and so little time, would be great to find a ride buddy who also has a dual sport.

Trip Details
Elapsed time : 4hrs 15 mins
Distance : 162 kms
Av Speed : 38 kms

Route map Here

Some pics.

Part 2 here
Old 10-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indie-tas
Well today i was out to do some more mapping.

I have been doing a lot on OSM Maps
Lately and had a gap that needed filling, it was buggin me.

Route map Here

The first map with yellow dots shows the gap i had to fill, this was not going to be a mass adventure but just a nice couple of hours. Map 2 shows the bits i filled in today.

Map 1

Map 2

Okay that the plan, now some pics.
nice RR

I went through that area some time last year looking for a "road" through to Dip falls and found a large yellow boom gate with "private property" on it so i had to go the long way round(no puns intended) only to find it on google earth.....

Now just to get a bike again and do it

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
Merged both threads into one.. keeping it all one place.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
El Toad Man
Offroad adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Nice work, it's amazing how many roads that can link up which don't show on maps.

theMISSIONARY, I did find the road from there to dip falls. I read about it in a 4wd book, it's not one you'd find by accident - it goes much further south than where the locked gate is.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
tompee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Nice pics, I am thinking of bringing my WR over on the ferry and riding a bit in Tassie. As a 250 rider, the V strom seems like such overkill for that kind of riding! Do you ever get out of 2nd gear?!
tompee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Indie-tas OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompee
Nice pics, I am thinking of bringing my WR over on the ferry and riding a bit in Tassie. As a 250 rider, the V strom seems like such overkill for that kind of riding! Do you ever get out of 2nd gear?!
Theres so much variation, some roads im doin 100km on others im trying not to fall of goin slow. Most of what i have done here is just gravel backroads.

As a 650 rider a 250 seems a bit small. each to his own i guess. i couldnt do as much mx type riding as you though.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Quote:
I'm planing on getting a KDX200 or KDX250 size bike so i can go into the really hard places.....but i would still like a 650 for the long over night trips.....time and Money its always one or the other never both at the same time

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Indie-tas OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY
I'm planing on getting a KDX200 or KDX250 size bike so i can go into the really hard places.....but i would still like a 650 for the long over night trips.....time and Money its always one or the other never both at the same time
Yeah if i had the money it would be 650 for tourin with missus, 250ish for bush bashin and a cruiser for for for for just cause i could.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Excellent - thanks for the report and pics.

I'm heading down in 6 weeks or so - with some car mates, so the roads focus will be slightly different (plus a track day at Symmons Plains).
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Quote:
Yeah if i had the money it would be 650 for tourin with missus, 250ish for bush bashin and a cruiser for for for for just cause i could.
no reason needed other than i want too

Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
tompee
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY
I'm sure you've heard the WR250R/X fanboy's like myself singing it's praises, so I don't want to sound like a broken record..... but they are very capable on the road. Top speed of ~150km/h stock, I have done 2000km+ road trips on minen in a few days. 95% freeway, 110-120km/h all day. Oil change every 5000km, valve checks 40,000km, so I really think this bike is almost as close as it gets to "the best of both worlds"
Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #13
tompee
Adventurer

Quote:
Theres so much variation, some roads im doin 100km on others im trying not to fall of goin slow. Most of what i have done here is just gravel backroads.

As a 650 rider a 250 seems a bit small. each to his own i guess. i couldnt do as much mx type riding as you though.
OK, cool. Didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, which is reads like a day later ;-) I do appreciate the qualities of a larger bike on the road, I have an FZ6 in the garage. And the V-strom is nice, having that slight offroad capability to go with the big onroad comfort and ability.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #14
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Quote:
I'm sure you've heard the WR250R/X fanboy's like myself singing it's praises, so I don't want to sound like a broken record..... but they are very capable on the road. Top speed of ~150km/h stock, I have done 2000km+ road trips on minen in a few days. 95% freeway, 110-120km/h all day. Oil change every 5000km, valve checks 40,000km, so I really think this bike is almost as close as it gets to "the best of both worlds"
$$$$ and i love two strokes....i have little fear of the KDX wearing out too fast as i did read of a bloke that rode one around Aust without much in the way of problems....and they are cheap

Old 10-30-2010, 04:01 AM   #15
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Toad Man
Nice work, it's amazing how many roads that can link up which don't show on maps.

theMISSIONARY, I did find the road from there to dip falls. I read about it in a 4wd book, it's not one you'd find by accident - it goes much further south than where the locked gate is.
Do you mean the Rabalga track??