ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
209ninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Exactly correct. ANd to answer a previous post the decals are clear coated over. The only way to keep them from bubbling again is to purchase new taks which are about $1500.00 from KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
The bubbles are formed by fumes venting through the tank correct?

If so.. wouldn't this happen again to replacement decals unless you coat the tank in some way to stop the vents?

...or use that "mesh" decals like dirt bike tanks do?

2008, KTM, 990, Adventure, Current
2008, Kawasaki, Ninja, ZX-10 Current
2005, KTM, 950, Adventure, For Sale
2003, KTM, 625, SXC, Sold
Pics: http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/209ninja/

SierraNevadaAdventures.com Member

http://www.sierranevadaadventures.com
209ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #32
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 209ninja
Exactly correct. ANd to answer a previous post the decals are clear coated over. The only way to keep them from bubbling again is to purchase new taks which are about $1500.00 from KTM
Then why doesn't the paint bubble?
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #33
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Wicked Mine is PRETTY bad

I thought I was the only one who had bubbles under the decals . I just returned from a trip to Moab and Mosquito Pass and thought I would change out my decals when I got back .In case I dropped it or scratched it , GUESS what I scratched it MAJOR .

so I will have to change the DECALS. I love the compass idea though . Your post has been pretty informative .

Thank you

IMG_5238-1
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #34
ginslung
It'll take.

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf
A buddy of mine who owns a repair shop claims that the bubbling plastic tank decal problem has been further acerbated by the recent trends in gas composition i.e. ethanol. Other brands (such as Ducati) have apparently been having similar issues. The good news is that - in his experience - these effects can be largely negated by adding a few ounces of stabilizer (such as Seafoam) every few fill-ups. Of course I didn't find out about any of this until after the tanks started bubbling but my friend's bike is a bubble free '04. What have we got to lose?

Douf
Interesting...I have a 05 which has been on a steady diet of Seafoam since I've owned it (1 year) and it only has a bubble or two on one side. No idea what the previous owners did in terms of additives, the only thing in common that I can think of is that at least 2 of 3 of the PO's had garage storage.
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,838
*running around the house knocking on everthing wooden*

I'm afraid to admit this outloud in fear of hexing myself.

I'm bubble free.. I use ethanol gas all the time.

*mine is black.. which I assume has no decals except the little orange bits?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #36
209ninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I keep mine in the garage and it probablyalso has something to do with the fuel also. But it does have alot to do with the material the tank is made of. It is fuel fumes leaching through the plastic tank.

2008, KTM, 990, Adventure, Current
2008, Kawasaki, Ninja, ZX-10 Current
2005, KTM, 950, Adventure, For Sale
2003, KTM, 625, SXC, Sold
Pics: http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac157/209ninja/

SierraNevadaAdventures.com Member

http://www.sierranevadaadventures.com
209ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM   #37
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,435
THIS!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle
Thoughts?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,337
Well . . .

Well, I thought I was just about done. I dropped off my last pencil outline today and discussed last details with the folks at FastSigns. After making a stencil of the right side of the bike, I suggested that this was all that I needed to do because the right side could be reversed to make the left side. The computer guy quickly pointed out, "Well, if you reverse the right, which has KTM on it, the left will be 'MTK' with a reverse 'K'."

So, more stenciling is in order.

More to come.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #39
LaPorte 0715
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Decals

Orangecicle, order up a bunch of extras and add in a profit for yourself. I'm sure you could sell quite a few right here. Count me in for one set.
LaPorte 0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #40
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nick
Orangecicle, order up a bunch of extras and add in a profit for yourself. I'm sure you could sell quite a few right here. Count me in for one set.
I thought about that, and here's my idea. If this all works out well I'll provide all the details and the contact information for the local shop. (No affiliation -- they're just good guys.) Anybody can order whatever they want. But, I'd ask that if you do order from them, make a donation to ADV Rider. I'm "liberating" a site phrase in making these decals, and I want to make sure that this place is always here.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #41
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,682
Buell had a problem with cleared-over logos bubbling up under warranty. The solution on those bikes and every bike after was to put the logo over the clear. From that point on, Buell logos were stuck over the clear (and kind of 3-Dish.

I suspect if you don't clear over it you might be OK. My '08 tank isn't cleared, just the upper fairings. No bubbles under the 'adventure' logo. The tanks are kind of flat...all the rage these days in new bikes.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb
Buell had a problem with cleared-over logos bubbling up under warranty. The solution on those bikes and every bike after was to put the logo over the clear. From that point on, Buell logos were stuck over the clear (and kind of 3-Dish.

I suspect if you don't clear over it you might be OK. My '08 tank isn't cleared, just the upper fairings. No bubbles under the 'adventure' logo. The tanks are kind of flat...all the rage these days in new bikes.
Huh. I wonder what causes the bubbling. Do you know whether or not the bubbles developed only over gas tanks or elsewhere as well? I'm trying to figure out what causes the bubbling. The majority of the decals I have that are not over gas tanks are fine. But, those decals are over some other kind of plastic than Poly-6. So, it could be the gas fumes, or it could be deterioration of the Poly-6 from something like ethanol, or it could be a combination of the clearcoat in relation to one of the other issues . . . . Too many variables.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #43
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
depending on price and my work I would be in for a set like the compass I will keep my eye on this!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #44
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
depending on price and my work I would be in for a set like the compass I will keep my eye on this!!
Just FYI on pricing. I'm going with the compass rose design with the "Ride the World" below. Graphics are going to be cut from 3M black vinyl with the orange of the tank showing through for the second color. We thought about doing a two color ink treatment, but the shop said that straight color vinyl is usually good for about 9 years in an external application, but ink on vinyl with a clear overlay is only good for about 4 years. Therefore, solid black vinyl sounded the best. Clear overlay of the original decal will just cover the original decal. Clear cover of the "Ride the World" part will cover the entire flat area and provide just a little extra protection to that painted area. The clear overlay is a 3M product -- not sure of the exact thickness yet. Clear overlay of the compass seems like the only viable option considering the numerous delicate pieces there and the fact that my leg is going to rub it continually.

My "ready for me to install" graphics are going to run me $150 with tax. That includes some cost of the computer work needed to make all of this happen. My guess is that the shop will want less for anyone who wants the same design that follows me in the endeavor. Also, dropping the "Ride the World" part or dropping the clear overlay will drive the cost down. I think the shop said that a straight black 3M cutout of the stock KTM decal part would be $80. But again, this cost included the shop's recovery for the computer work. Just cutting the design from straight black 3M product once the design is in the computer may be much less.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #45
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Almost There

Well, I'm just about there. Here are the last few steps before ordering the new custom decals.

The decal on the left was so bubbled that I had to pull it off before trying to make a stencil. However, the process of pulling off this decal left tremendous amounts of decal adhesive behind. I tried just about everything to get this stuff off:
  • Alcohol makes it wet, but that's about it.
  • WD-40 makes it slippery, but that's about it.
  • Goof-Off removes the adhesive AND the paint.
  • Motorex Bike Cleaner spray made it shinny.
As I was just about at the end of my rope, I decided to Google it. The query was something like, "How the freakin' hell are you supposed to remove 3M decal adhesive from a painted surface????"

That search, or somethin' close to it, pulls up links to this product:

One week of struggle was resolved with about five minutes on Google. Regardless, THAT's the stuff you need to get the decal adhesive off of your bike.

Wax on:

Wax off:

One other tip. This product works pretty well when you have a decal that is cleared over and you have to find a way to get it off. I had the front part of the right-side tank decal that was still adhered really well. I used a syringe (one benefit of having a diabetic daughter) filled with the adhesive remover. I heated the area, injected the decal, and then slowly worked it off:

That's about it for now. Hopefully we'll be fully ready to move forward with the sign shop tomorrow morning.