Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Touring the Ozarks through a 9 year olds eyes

Hey everyone,

Last weekend I went to the Ozarks and decided to return this weekend with my son for a camping trip. I have been wanting to do some motocamping and figured this would be a great chance. We left Memphis Saturday morning just before 7 and hit the road.

All loaded and ready for travel

Matching jackets....can u see us now????

loaded up

It was about a 200 mile trip to the campsite and surprisingly my son only wanted to stop once on the way. I was very impressed by how much he wanted to ride this weekend.

Stopped and had lunch

Got to the campground in the Ozark National Forrest Blanchard Springs. This campground was rated by a website I found as one of the top 10 public campgrounds in the country. We setup our hammocks

This is the creek that ran by our camp site

This is the watercrossing we had to go through to get to the campground. There was a chance of severe weather overnight and was warned by the Park Ranger that we may have difficulty getting out in the morning.(heck it's an adventure right?)

After we got our camp setup we decided to run Push Mountain(most of these pics were taken by my son)

resting atop Push Mountain

We then rode on up to Mountain Home Ar and Bull Shoals

After arriving at Bull Shoals I looked at the clock and decided it was time to start to head to Mountain View for dinner.

We ate at a local Mexican restaurant and then walked around the town square. On Saturday evenings the locals come out of the hills(literally) and do some pick up music in the town square. There were several groups there yesterday. This group was doing mostly gospel:

This group was playing lots of Bluegrass music.

We then decided it had been a great day and headed back to the campground for some R&R. My son REALLY wanted us to build a fire so this is an example of what a real Charlie Brown fire would look like lol

Last night while sleeping we had some rain(nothing severe) and had an absolute great nights sleep. It was my first time to ever sleep in the hammocks and probably the 5th night for my son. Woke up the morning got all packed and headed back home. Made it about halfway home before the rain started but we still had a great ride.

And just to sum it up here is a summary of all the damage for the weekend. :) Gonna have to let everything dry out for a couple of days before I can pack it back up.

All in all this was one of the best trips I have ever taken. I'm definitely hooked on motocamping and the hammocks. We are already talking about when to return in the early spring.
'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
It looks like an awesome time. I can't wait to do that with my son (he is only two now).
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Mountain View--is GREAT. Looks like you had several groups to listen to. I was not sure they hit the square after school starts.
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
leeinmemphis OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JED
Mountain View--is GREAT. Looks like you had several groups to listen to. I was not sure they hit the square after school starts.
I was told that next weekend is the "official" last weekend of the year. The place was crawling with motorcycles and car clubs while we were there.
'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,219
Great stuff!!!
I'm in the process now of gathering up all the camping supplies so that my son and I can do the same thing!

So far, we've only been trail riding together and I wanna start motocamping with him

Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
JED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Last year I rode down Mt View. to camp and stopped at Sylamore Creek Campgrounds and found it very good!! it is north of town and only short ride into town maybe 5mi. They put me in a spot on the river bank and I really enjoyed it. Very quiet and beautiful water and large rock bluff on the other side. Good camping for the Mountain View stop.
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Faulkner
Patriot

Oddometer: 86
Looks like fun. Mountain View is one of my regular destinations, love the local music.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811
Lucky kid! You're giving him the riding bug nice and early
Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Nice place to stay, When I visit my Mom (Ida, AR) we take a ride up to Mountain View, and Blanchard Springs.

Sometime when you're there try to take the wild cave tour, its several hours of caving off of the tourist route, helmets, knee pads and lights are provided.

It's good to see kids outdoors and camping.