Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Chihuahuamaster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
What is the best bike for a two ride to S. America?

Hello all, I am new to the forum and riding in general, and I recently purchased a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I am quite happy with it because it is comfortable for two up riding.

After reading some of the marvelous trip reports here (specifically Jammin through the Global South), my wife and I are thinking of taking a two up trip to S. America, as she has family down there we would like to visit.

What would be the best all around bike to take us down there? We are looking for something that would be easy and cheap to maintain with parts availability and that would handle the roads.

Japanese made bikes are preferable as I have heard good things regarding their reliability.

I have looked into the KLR and DR 650, but everybody says these are one up motorcycles. I like the Honda Africa Twin for two up riding, but it is not available in the U.S. and importing one would be rather expensive I imagine.

Any other suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.
Chihuahuamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
It really depends on how long you plan to travel for. If you have less than 3-4 months you'll hardly have to stray from the pavement, so almost anything would be fine. Keep in mind you'll be traveling at highway speeds much of the time, so a KLR or DR650 will really, really be struggling to maintain any real speed uphill with 2ppl and gear. A 21in front wheel isn't totally necessary, so I'd wouldn't rule out larger bikes like the Suzuki DL1000 and similar bikes.

If you have more than 4-6 months you can really get into the boondocks and off the beaten path into some of the trickier areas. A KTM 990, the new Yamaha Tenere, or perhaps a BMW 800GS would be my choice if cost was no option.

Make sure no matter what you get you and your wife can pick it up when it's fully loaded with fuel and gear and it's fallen downhill with the wheels above horizontal. I've never understood why people chose to take a BMW1200GS that weighs 700lbs with fuel, panniers, and gear. Bikes like that are so much more difficult to lift as well as ride though mud/sand than lighter bikes.

Support and parts are not really a concern. Most of the people that break down are riding extraordinarily high mileage bikes, or they fail to do proper preventative maintainance before they leave. I rode a KTM 640 adventure with really high mileage, and the only real failure I had was a blown shock seal which I stupidly avoided replacing before I left even though I knew it was leaking.

cu260r6 screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 08:29 PM
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,440
We ride the big BMWs because they're the most comfortable durable fast strong long range all-road dependable maintenance free affordable bikes ever.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
If you like your Bergman, why dont you just ride it. As long as you dont want to go off roading I see no reason it wont get the job done.

Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
AloneInTheDirt
Rural Bandit

Oddometer: 26
Yamaha TDM 900
AloneInTheDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Chihuahuamaster OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I really like the looks of the Yamaha Tenere, and it seems more than capable.

I would ride the Suzuki Burgman 400 because it is really comfortable and has lots of storage space, but from some of the ride reports I read, it seems that you really have to go through some rough country all throughout the trip. I don't think the Burgman could handle it if it is in fact true you have to go through miles and miles of gravel. I am not sure if this type of riding is optional in order to make it to Ecuador.

I am looking for a motorcycle that is used and widely available on Craigslist, and I think I would be hard pressed to find a good BMW or KTM where I live in SE Oklahoma.

I have been looking into the option of the Vstrom, but don't know if it would handle the roads and two up riding. I am really not in that big of a hurry (not looking to go fast), but at the same time, I am not looking to go off road either. I have a Jeep for that here, but the high gas prices are killing me. I was even thinking of trading my Jeep for a motorcycle. Hopefully, there are plenty of interesting things to see staying on pavement.

Have people gone on Cruiser type bikes down south as well? Just wondering because that would open up more options for me even though I really prefer the looks of the adventure type bikes. It seems like we are rather limited in the Adventure Touring category of bikes here in the U.S.

Any other suggestions available with the new information I have provided? Thanks for the help.
Chihuahuamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
AloneInTheDirt
Rural Bandit

Oddometer: 26
As far as I know. You always have the pavement option... everywere.
What you should consider is spares availability on the places you´re going. Because bikes do brake in shuch long rides. BMW and KTM are very rare in south america. You should go for a Yamaha or Honda. You'll find spares and people capable of reparing them pretty much everywere.
Cruiser is a very viable option.
AloneInTheDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Suzuki wee strom. Capabile, comfortable, realible, simple, cheap and great gas mileage/range.

Oil change, 15 min's. Regular gas and decent ground clearance
Put a wilbours spring on the rear shock before you go.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 892
For 2-up, the Weestrom is more than sufficient. I rode down to Costa Rica and back on mine and it did great. You'll rarely need the power of the 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster
Hello all, I am new to the forum and riding in general, and I recently purchased a Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter. I am quite happy with it because it is comfortable for two up riding.

After reading some of the marvelous trip reports here (specifically Jammin through the Global South), my wife and I are thinking of taking a two up trip to S. America, as she has family down there we would like to visit.

What would be the best all around bike to take us down there? We are looking for something that would be easy and cheap to maintain with parts availability and that would handle the roads.

Japanese made bikes are preferable as I have heard good things regarding their reliability.

I have looked into the KLR and DR 650, but everybody says these are one up motorcycles. I like the Honda Africa Twin for two up riding, but it is not available in the U.S. and importing one would be rather expensive I imagine.

Any other suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
Suzuki wee strom. Capabile, comfortable, realible, simple, cheap and great gas mileage/range.

Oil change, 15 min's. Regular gas and decent ground clearance
Put a wilbours spring on the rear shock before you go.
+1, The more I think about it this is my suggestion too. You could spend $10k on a new 800GS or KTM 990 and another couple $k outfitting it, or you could save at least 60% by buying a used 650 v-strom that's already kitted out. You would't miss the more expensive bikes a bit.

cu260r6 screwed with this post 10-28-2010 at 03:56 PM
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
bananaman
transcontimental

Central America is completely different from Sputh America. A 650 would be ok from Mexico to Panama (as long as you stay off the toll roads cuz no way will a two-up 650 keep up). South of Colombia you'll be hating a 650, especially when you get to the thousands of miles of desert and pampas. Climbing in Colombia and Ecuador you need power to be able to quickly and safely pass lumbering trucks and buses.

Don't go without fuel injection. Colombia starts at 8000 feet. Peru and all the Andes are into the 15,000s. Carbs starve.

Fuel availabity is SA is an issue. You can survive with a 200 mile maximum range, but expect days of delays unless you can go at least 300 miles. Read the SA ride reports to see how difficult fuel availability can be.

Finally, ask the riders who've done it two-up.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
...South of Colombia you'll be hating a 650, especially when you get to the thousands of miles of desert and pampas......
Max,
A Wee 650 is much different that a thumper 650.
On road, and one-up, it'll not lose sight of the tail lights of your 1100, one up.
They will buzz the roadways in fine fashion.

Their ground clearance sucks sweaty goat balls, but they really will fly at speed.

A great motor.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Their ground clearance sucks sweaty goat balls, but they really will fly at speed.

A great motor.
I've been moto camping with my Wee for 4 months now and couldn't agree more! I've heard my center stand hit too many times.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
bananaman
transcontimental

The Wee is terrific. If I was riding to Panama and for some reason couldn't take my 1100, I'd take a Wee. Maybe even for SA. But not SA two-up. I like power.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesiu
I've been moto camping with my Wee for 4 months now and couldn't agree more! I've heard my center stand hit too many times.
Nothing a $75 spring cannot solve, my man.
If you can suggest a more realible bang for the buck bike for 2 up riding, I'd like to hear your suggestions.
A thumper can carry 2 people, but will not carry all the gear needed for an extended trip and be comfy. Any bike he chooses will be heavy due to aprox 300-350LB's of human cargo plus gear. The 1000 would be nice but the 650 is capable plus better fuel range.
Maybe a triumph tiger or GS1100/1150 for value for money but the Jap bike will be way more realible.