User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
SEQ Raising Money for kids in Cambodia Charity Ride

So where do you begin when you start to write..Just thinking about the event of the last week so much has happened
Cambodia History you can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodia.

This year Joes wife Ned travelled to Cambodia to a small remote village where she was so taken by the people and the extreme poorness that on return to Australia decided to launch a fundraising venture. You can read about it here http://www.gofundraise.com.au/NedMorgan also any donation would be greatfully accepted.

Over to Ned
"Sunday, 24th October 2010, 7.30am, 30 blokes and their bikes, riding around for the day at Kilcoy and a “Yellow Submarine”!!! What more can you ask for???? Not forgetting the
awesome efforts by all the great blokes to raise a grand total of $1561.95. WELL DONE GUYS.... FANTASTIC EFFORT!!!!

It all started when we (our 4yr old daughter, Taylor and myself) returned from Cambodia. After 3 weeks in Siem Reap, volunteering at New Hope it became very clear to us that we could make a huge difference in their lives with very little effort required. Having this in mind and seeing how passionate Taylor was about helping all her new friends I decided as soon as we returned home I would do my utmost to help these beautiful people. It didn’t take much to convince my wonderful husband Joe that maybe a bike ride would be a fantastic start to our fundraising adventure.....

New Hope Cambodia is a Non Government Organisation (NGO) which is run solely by volunteers (people like yourself, along with doctors and nurses etc) providing education and much needed medical treatment. Whilst 'free education for all' is their priority, an important step is being taken in breaking the cycle of poverty, chronic malnutrition, ill health and appalling living conditions the students and families face every day.

Taylor, Joe and I are really excited about organising our next fundraiser - we hope to reach our goal of $15,000 which will enable us to build an over night stay facility for the critically ill who currently get sent home and possibly a new class room (bamboo walls and palm fronds for the roof) for the New Hope School. The New Hope medical clinic currently sees up to 150 patients a day and the New Hope school provides education and sewing classes for up to 450 students ranging in ages from 5 to 25 who travel by foot and by push bike over 4 kilometres a day to attend their class. With our fundraiser we aim to provide medical help and education for over a thousand people.

The fundraiser is a cocktail/dinner party - being held on the 4th Feb 2011 at “The Landing” at Dockside – Tickets for the evening will cost $85 ea and will include a 2 course meal, nibbles on arrival, drinks for the evening and live entertainment. Be early to secure your invitation!!!

On the night we are having an auction and a few other fun things in the hope to raise some money. Any major cash sponsors will have their logos printed on our invitations, as it’s an invitation only function. I am hoping to get up to 200 guests on the night.

Booking a table of 10 on the night would be a wonderful way to help also. The more the merrier!!!

Thankyou again for such a wonderful day on sunday and I can’t wait to see you guys again on the 4th Feb. Wahoooo, Bring it on!!! "

Anyway the idea was seeded, a post was placed in the Australian Regional Section of www.advrider.com and the response was exceptional. Motor Cycling enthusiasts, all flavours, have been known over the years to get solidly behind a good cause. This was going to be no excpetion. A rough route plan was mapped out,,, a ride leader was seconded (Dusty), Kilcoy local and Joe (Mortaygo) was going to be the sweep.

First things first was to do a reccy ride of the proposed route and this is where the Drama and (in Hindsight) fun began.
Time 6:00 AM 16 October 2010 I met Joe at the BP service station at Blacksoil our plan was to slab it out too Kilcoy, via Splityard Creek Rd, where we would meet up with Dusty arround 7:30 AM. It should be noted that alot of SEQ had experienced exceptional rainfalls so the countryside was lush and green, creeks were flowing birds were chirping, sounds tranquil. Experience levels (me zero), Joe (born riding a bike), Dusty (same as Joe).

First things first we checked out the park to ascertain its suitability as a start point and also the facilities to cook a pre ride Bacon and Egg burger, ample bike parking. A bonus was the mobile coffee vendor. Start point location perfect. TICK

Next on the Agenda was to find a camping location. Two good spots are available at reletively low cost. The council funded location in the centre of town or the Racetrack camping ground. Initially the Racetrack was selected with its pavilion and hot showers. However later in the week it was advised that the pavillion was booked for a 21st birthday party so the move to the alternate location.

Camping Location TICK

Ok it was time to head off and reccy the route. We headed off along the bitumen and came too a causeway across the road. The water was flowing hard and fast.

After a breif stop,, Dusty said there was another way arround so we bypassed this (releif)

MORE TO COME

Ride With My Kids 24OCT09
Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming

oz_mick screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 04:28 AM
oz_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 1,558
Pass the popcorn please Todd
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes
Pass the popcorn please Todd
Just a tick mate, I'll put some more on. This seems to be taking a while.

BTW how's the DR?

Adventure On!!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,588
Dusty said what ?

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Hey Phil, hows tricks?

Adventure On!!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We headed arround the flooded causeway headed up into the Conondales

All the slopes had deep ruts in them from the volumes of water that had been flowing.
There were numerous trees fallen over and we had to stop several times to clear logs and branches away.

A couple of spots we went the wrong way however Dusty soon had us back on track.
Sunday Creek Rd, Kilcoy Murgon Rd, Kadanga Rd to name a few flashed past.

Lots of tree clearing (Dusty's Photo)

Finally we came across an old Sawmill Elginvale I think. It looked as if work had just stopped one day and it was abandoned.

There were two old rusted trucks from another era... Hopefully one day some enterprising soul could restore them to there former glory.
At the moment they are a reminder of the past.

Up too this point there were no major dramas except the fallen trees across the track.
We ended up on eastern branch rd,, there was a tree across the track, we could not break it as it was green and we could not move it. Dusty and Joe said we will go arround it. they took off while I was turning my bike arround and I did not see where they went but I could hear them. Dammit they went right up the steep embankment. Me with my zero skill level was not going to make it up there. I sat there pondering what to do. Anyway Joe came down and calmly road the KLR up. I was gobsmacked. Anyway feeling slightly deflated we progressed onwards. The track was dry in places, wet and slippery, muddy bogholes and on downhill sections water was flowing like a small creek next to the track.

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming

oz_mick screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 06:05 PM
Old 10-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Then we started coming across the flooded causeways some with concrete bases, some with just dirt and rocks.
Dusty's Pictures of me and Joe going through creeks. The countryside was green and lush. I was becoming confident with the creek crossings. A couple of sphincter tightening
monents halfway across some of the concreted ones when you start wondering if your still heading in the right line and not off the edge.

These were the last pics I took on the ride I think you all know what is coming next.
Dusty navigating successfully a crossing not long before the infamous crossing #10 now known as Dusty's Dip.

More to come

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am going to paste in here what I wrote before,, thinking back I can still see it all happening,

I think it we had only a couple more crossings left on western branch before we were home and hosed on the way to Linville. The previous crossing the current was stronger as it was narrower and we traversed that one without issues. However this one had a slimy base. I was the last bike and was sitting watching Dusty cross. Joe was all but in the water.

One minute Dusty was ploughing through the water, next minute he was over. I was fully expecting him to stand up and the bike just to sit there, but he was off down the creek bike bobbing and him clinging to it. I lept of the bike and headed into the creek wading across as Dusty and bike dissappeared into the trees.

I remember as I was crossing I felt my feet slipping and almost went over a few times but I continued on with just one thought and that was to get to Dusty.

I made it over and headed over to where I had last seen him. Finally I spotted a damp soggy Dusty as he was clambering out of the creek. I tried getting through the follage as he was struggling still trying to hold onto his helmet. I yelled out throw me the helmet and gloves which he did as this was hampering his exit.

I could not see the bike, but Joe behind me saw it break away from the tree go upright and continue further down the creek. Anyway the important item was safe and out of the creek and that was Dusty. Our next thoughts were the bike. We did not have a rope between us so I said I would cross the creek and head up to some farm houses and ask for one.

Of course it meant crossing the creek again as the other bikes and farm houses were on the other side . I remember standing on the other side thinking fark I have to cross that again. Joe yelled out take your boots off as you will get better traction. I did just that and the traction was better however as I was crossing I felt my self falling over as my feet lost traction in the process of righting myself I dropped one boot and watched it quickly dissappear down the creek. I yelled out grab my boot if you can.. ** Later Joe said standing on the bank with Dusty "Yep there goes the boot" as it whizzed past .

I made it across and jumped on the bike with one boot went across the first crossing and headed to the first house. But could not find anyone there. So I jumped back on the bike and headed to the next house but it meant crossing another creek. This time it was different maybe it was because I was going from the opposite direction but as I was crossing I felt the current pushing the bike over and I had visions of myself dissapearing down the creek. Fortunately I managed to get the bike more upright and make it across.

I rode up to the next farmhouse and yelled out hello and farmer Bruce ( I think) came out. Within seconds of hearing what occured he grabbed his boots and jumped into his 4wd I was heading to the bike and changed my mind no way in hell was I going back over the last creek again so I jumped into the cab beside him.

The Landcruiser chugged through the creek but you could feel the current pushing us over to the edge, the next was easier then the slippery one was coming up. As we chugged across you could feel the cruiser moving sideways but we kept going forward and made it over.

Unfortunately there was no sign of Dustys bike and the water was flowing way to fast. Farmer Bruce said the water leveles were dropping as thought by the next day that they would be down suffiently to allow rescue of the bike.

We all clambered into the 4WD and we got across the slippery one, Joe jumped of the back and followed behind the 4wd drive in its wake.

Anyway continuing on we were at the farmers house I remember Dusty standing there in his underwear saying I better put on my pants coz I am scaring the children priceless moment.

Well we still had to get home.. I had just single seated the KLR and had no rear footpegs,, anyway it was decided I would sit on the back with my one boot and feet up on the pannier frames and soggy Dusty two boots would drive. Credit to Dustys skill we traversed western Branch road to Nanango without incident. Every bump, every cattle grid perched on the back of the KLR feet in the most uncomfortable cramped position. I kept thinking the first few kilometres "I WANT TO GET OFF" however I knew if I did I would not want to get back on. Finally we made the turn to Nanango. I had a break where we feasted on my jelly babies. I think Dusty loves my KLR because he kept sitting on it more likely it was exhaustion from what happened.

How many Occifers of the law did we pass , what a sight we must have made whizzing past, every town I looked for an open shoe shop .
After another albeit too brief a stop at the BP servo outside of Moore we refueled. The Lady behind the counter said "you boys have a good day"

Finally we made the last 24 kilometres back to Dustys house, I got off the bike and nearly fell over the dog, Dusty rummaged arround found me a pair of old boots which after unzipping I managed to get on my feet.

Anyway I said farewell to Dusty and headed off home. I cannot imagine how you feel right now Dusty,, but I am absolutely sure that the DR will be recovered and resurected. There is a whole community of people here Dusty who are behind you on this all ready and willing to offer assistance as required with a wealth of experience behind them.

What a day, some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, the greatest of company and moments burnt forever into living memory.

Man I guess thats why they call it Adventure Riding

Dusty you are a legend
Dorrigo 13-15 August 2010

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyway Sunday 17 October rolled arround. I spent the day at home constantly checking creek levels, which were slowly dropping. Hoping to hear word that the DR rescue was progressing.
We had a ride leader without a bike. Drowned DR thread the response from the ADV community was awesome, advice on what to do, offers of loaner bikes.
You guys out there really are awesome. I remember seeing the following photo's of the happiest man in Australia. Seeing the pictures of the 'Yellow Submarine" emerging from the water as the Fishy equivalent of the Phoenix emerging from the fire. If you have not read about it check it out here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629255
Who can honestly forget these pictures

Then Dusty describing late Monday night how there was no water in the oil and the DR almost spluttered into life
Finally the announcement of a very squeaky clean DR back on the road again

More to come - The Charity Ride itself

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Champion read Mick. I think we need to rename him Rusty Spokes. This is one of those yarns that gets wheeled out around a fire in the wee hours of the morning for years to come. We all have one and I imagine Dusty has many already. Just another to the collection

Well done.

Adventure On!!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For a lucky few the Charity ride started on Saturday, camping in the Kilcoy Council Campground, which is staggering distance from the Pub.
Heard they were all well behaved and in bed before 9PM so as to be ready for the next days ride. All the reported noise must have been a Flock of Yowies passing through Kilcoy.
Anyway here is some borrowed scavenged pictures... others can add to this later with more photo's,,, maybe somebody got some pics of those Yowies ???

Is that a Yowie ??

Breakfast underway,,, bacon and egg burgers were awesome Joe but I regret I have to say the Ebor special was better. I know its a pretty high standard to meet.
Look a muppet in an orange shirt

Must have been the smell of bacon eggs cooking that attracted them,,, because the population of Kilcoy has doubled...

So many Green KLR's hope I do not get on the wrong one...

Glad I had my Sunnies on because the glare from this exceptionally clean DR would have been overwhelming

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A presentation was made to Rusty Musty Crusty ahhhhh Dusty, some suitable sub mariner bike riding apparel designed specifically for Suzuki's latest edition to the stable the
DR650SE/U the U standing for Underwaterus

The Crowd were truly amazed

Dusty's Missus with Taylor and Ned. Thanks for the breaky

Dusty the marinised version

OMG its that Arseclown Guy !!!!

Now for the Raffles Draw,,, thanks too all the buisnesses that donated prizes, Particular note Two Wheel Tyres for the Jacket,,, Philth of motorbikin fame for the DVD's
Heartfelt thanks for all for your generosity for such a great cause

...and now ladies and gentleman I draw your attention to centre stage.... ooops sorry wrong forum

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK Gents and Lady mount your steeds,,,,, ok bad choice of words,,, onya bikes and lets get this ride underway

Kilcoy breathed a collective sigh of releif as we departed....

We ripped through the town of Kilcoy and headed out to the dirt.
The bikes flew of the bitumen up the first hill

First Regroup awesome ride so far to this point

*** If anybody got any pics between the start and the first regroup could you let me know so we can edit them in ****

Errrrr we seem to have lost the sweep,,, hes not coming

Not over here either

Ahhhhh some more bikes are coming

Heres Joe spectacular entrance I must say.....as always ( if I had 1% of his ability I would be happy)

OK Lets go next stop Jimna Fire Tower

More to come

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #15
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The trip to Jimna fire tower was only a short distance from the regroup, Ned in the 4wd was going to meet us there with Drinks and munchies....
Bikes arriving at Jimna

I like this shot of all the bikes with the historic Jimna Firetower in the background,, hopefully it will get preserved for generations to come.

Bikes of all flavours

Taylor thouroughly enjoying herself

Oh and not forgetting Woopwoop

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE