Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #16
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Oddometer: 1,558
Jeezuz what's all that foggy stuff you are all riding through.......I must have been on a different track as I didn't go through anything like that ?

Ps. I could get used to having a support vehicle at all rides
Old 10-26-2010, 04:12 AM   #17
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
LOL Dusty guess what you just volunteered to be the sweep on the next ride,, but just to be different you are going to be the middle sweep

Ride With My Kids 24OCT09
Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
oz_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 AM   #18
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Thumbs down

I'd love to help ya's out but I'm certain I'll be busy that weekend
Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #19
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We left Jimna Firetower in good spirits. We did not know what was just arround the corner.

Somewhere after Jimna Firetower I think

The Kilcoy Murgon rd was very dusty I sat back out of the dust towards the rear of the pack. There were maybe half a dozen bikes behind me. We turned off on Kadanga Rd to the right. Everything was going good. Things were flowing smoothly. I came arround a bend heading down a slope towards a concrete causeway with water flowing across it. There was someone in the middle of the track flagging me to slow down or stop.
The sight that greeted me was bikes parked everywhere. Part of the group that was in front had already continued on oblivious to what had occured. I saw Murphs bike facing the opposite direction did not really think much about it at the time.
Then I saw Murph lying down on the side of the road with some people holding a tarp over him.
I raced over and this is what greeted me.

At first he looked alright outwardly and he was laughing, But on questioning there was alot more wrong. He had tried to stand up and his right ankle had just given way. Others luckily were in control asking the relevant questions. Checking inside the right hand boot for blood. Good sign so it appeared that he had a broken ankle but the flesh was intact. Further questioning revealed an injury on his left hand knee so his pants were being cutaway to see the extent of the damage. There was a big hole near the knee so this was cleaned up and a dressing applied.

Joe (sweep) turned up and elected to ride on and inform the rest of the group. El Plonkin was already up on the hill with his Satphone from his work trying to contact the Ambo's. From the various GPS units our lat long was calculated and this information was given to the ambos. There was no mobile phone reception out here so without the satphone we would have had to find another means to contact the ambo. A big lesson learned here is some form of Sat comms for help, Eperb, Satphone, Spot anything that will identify you need help.

THe Ambulance was dispatched immediately and a helicopter was also dispatched. Murphs condition was also relayed to them so they werent coming in blind hence the chopper.

Murph lying in the shade thanks to El Plonkin for his satphone tent pegs and poles murph was alot more comfortable and the Ambo was already on its way
Ambulance arrives I think since the phonecall was made about 40 mins

Ambulance Officers checking Murph out and stabilising him before the chopper arrives.

Chopper arrives fortunately right next to where Murph crashed there was an open field. Just a little way up the road was a gate. So the plan became move murph to a back board, onto the stretcher, then into the back of the ambulance, drive the ambulance into the field and transfer him for his ride to the hospital. Initially they were talking somewhere on the sunshine coast. I pointed out that if possible Brisbane or Ipswich as his family lived in Karana Downs. I asked them to contact his wife because at this stage we had not been able too.

Murph being transfered into the Ambulance

Murph being transfered to the chopper

Murph in the chopper,,, hell of a way to get your first chopper ride Murph

Photo for El Plonkins work

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #20
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes
I'd love to help ya's out but I'm certain I'll be busy that weekend

Errr we are flexible and can fit in with any freetime you have

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #21
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Chopper departed on it way to RBH, Joe had already loaded Murphs bike on the back of the ute. (I am sure he mumbled something about creating a XR KLR TIger hybrid)
Anyway the harsh reality of what transpired started to hit home. Muprhs been my mate, work colleague, friend, now also one of the people I go riding with for the last 10 years. The trip to the crossroads the events played through my mind and I stupidly let it affect me.
Meanwhile whilst Murph was being attended too here were some photos taken at the crossroads.
Awww very pwitty Joe

Taylor still having a great day

Who again ????

I arrived at the crossroads took some pictures after I do not know why struggling to get my freakin side stand down...

Murphs broken bike in the back of Joes Ute

Some elected at this point to head to home as the delay with the accident would have meant coming out the other side at Linville much later than originally anticipated.
The majority elected to continue on down Eastern Branch to CROSSING # 10

Departing the crossroads

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 AM   #22
Dusty Rhodes
Yowie Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_mick
Errr we are flexible and can fit in with any freetime you have

anyways.....you know while ol' Murph was havin' a rest I continued on oblivious to what was happening back down the track and happily positioning my band of merry cornermen.

I pulled up at the Elginvale Mill and noticed that the chuck wagon wasn't there After a couple of minutes with no one turning up I started thinking that something must have happened .....but what

Maybe about 15 minutes later I heard a bike and Joe came rocketing into view.........hmmmmmmm isn't he the sweep so at that stage I thought I had lost 28 riders somewhere between Jimna Fire Tower and Elginvale

After a quick explaination he took off down the shortcut to Manumbar and I backtracked to pick up all the cornermen. I was sitting 36k's ahead from the Manumbar crossroads (near Murphs mishap) site so it took a little while to gather them all in.

I must say at this point that they all did a fantastic job as rule 1 of being a cornerman is to never leave your position unless instructed too by the ride leader or sweep. Well done guys as I reckon a couple of them were on their corner for an hour.

Over to you Mick..........

Dusty Rhodes screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 02:17 PM
Dusty Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #23
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From the crossroads to where Dusty had a chain problem my ride had turned to crap. Joe pulled me up a bit and it improved marginally.
Dusty I think had broken a link in his chain and set to work repairing it.

Anyway not long good to go we were on our way to crossing # 10
I was just amazed at the difference in just a week, how much the water levels had gone down. Some crossings did not have any water at
all. So the trip was much faster.
Thrills and Spills Galore on Crossing #10

# 10 Loomed closer and as I approached I could see people poised with cameras ready to capture a spill, fortunately for me in this
instance I disappointed them.
Now for some fun bits the renaming of crossing #10 and the cerimonial crossing of the Submariner DR

Crossing renamed too Dusty's Dip

So different form a week ago when Dusty's bike was swept off in a raging torrent

Geared up ready to go

Did not fall over so all that gear must work ok

Official acceptance of a Dusty's Dip victim

Officially now Dusty's Dip ADV

Most of the group were going to head to Kilcoy via some more dirt and a beer in the local pub...

Anyway I decided to head for home, I took off first. First couple of creek crossings were good then I hit one with a slippery base.
KLR fell over and I hit the deck landing on my shoulder. Anyway I shut the engine off. looked from where I had come and saw nobody
coming as yet. I went placed my helmet and soaking gloves in the abnk and wnet back to get the KLR back up. As I was lifting I felt my
feet sliding on the slime. Anyway managed to get it up and then I heard the bikes coming I waved frantically to slow down. The first
couple did and then it was sort of like slip bang slip bang,,, I am not sure how many lost it on that one but it was a few.
Anyway I soggy wet me donned helmet and gloves and continued on. I approached each crossing with trepadation but fortunately got thru
without any further instances....At least I proved the crashbars were effective,

I passed through Moore and decided to refuel at the BP. Funnily enough it was the same lady at the counter as last week after
completing the recce ride. She recognised me and enquired after Dusty's Bike I explained it had been recovered, then described the
events of the day to her. She looked at me and said "Next weekend stay home" LMAO
When I got to Esk my shoulder was starting to hurt showing that I had damaged something

Meanwhile the guys heading to Kilcoy had some dramas of there own here are some pics of that part of the trip

And finally at the pub at Kilcoy

Despite the turn of events over the last week and a bit. I enjoyed the ride thouroughly. Met some great people, had some good and
harsh times.
Anyway we acheived the objective and that was to raise money for a really worthy cause
But I think you cannot wrap yourself up in Cottonwool and hope to have a life...
Just get out their and freaking do it :)
Mick (oz_mick) green KLR zero experience

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #24
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rusty's Day Out

One last post Rusty's Day out in its entire unedited version

This is what really happened

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #25
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

You know while ol' Murph was havin' a rest I continued on oblivious to what was happening back down the track and happily positioning my band of merry cornermen.

I pulled up at the Elginvale Mill and noticed that the chuck wagon wasn't there After a couple of minutes with no one turning up I started thinking that something must have happened .....but what

Maybe about 15 minutes later I heard a bike and Joe came rocketing into view.........hmmmmmmm isn't he the sweep so at that stage I thought I had lost 28 riders somewhere between Jimna Fire Tower and Elginvale

After a quick explaination he took off down the shortcut to Manumbar and I backtracked to pick up all the cornermen. I was sitting 36k's ahead from the accident site so it took a little while to gather them all in.

I must say at this point that they all did a fantastic job as rule 1 of being a cornerman is to never leave your position unless instructed too by the ride leader or sweep. Well done guys as I reckon a couple of them were on their corner for an hour.

Over to you Mick..........

at losing 28 riders now there must have been some funny thoughts,,, could have been an mass alien abduction ,,, or we attecked by a band of marauding rabid yowies ,, or we did the Lemmings thing into Dusty's dip

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #26
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Ps. I could get used to having a support vehicle at all rides

It does have alot of merit doesn't it,,, it could carry things like a rope,, or spare links, tools, fuel, comms food preferably a ute so can cart a broken bike out....

Let me think I did a ride with Joe beginning of the year KTM broke down (shhh) so we had to ride back get a trailer and vehicle... If we had found your bike that day we could have carted it out.. So handy being able to load Murphs broken steed into the back of it

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #27
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,737
great RR

Good on you Mick. Now which Mag to do we send a story to.... Trail Zone or TBAM???????

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #28
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 860
great job Mick

Awaresome RR mate,
almost as much fun reading about it as riding it
cheers ed
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #29
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Dustys Dip action

greendude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #30
oz_mick OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome bit of footage Greendude,,, I know how he felt a bit further up the road

Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold