User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
LC4 coolant capacity/Draining?

Thinking of installing this Evans NPG+ 'lifetime" coolant. What is the total Radiator Capacity of the LC4 coolant in US gallons?? And, what is the best way to get ALL of the old coolant out? Like what is the lowest spot to drain from?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Thinking of installing this Evans NPG+ 'lifetime" coolant. What is the total Radiator Capacity of the LC4 coolant in US gallons?? And, what is the best way to get ALL of the old coolant out? Like what is the lowest spot to drain from?
Heya Swampy, isn't that stuff in yer manual? If not there is a download for the engine shop manual... somewhere - lemme know if you don't got it.

I think the Evans NPG+ stuff sounds great - did you find a lower pressure cap or are you just leaving the system pressurized? The lower pressure is supposed to make the water pumps and such last longer.

Don't let creeper tell ya to turn it upside down and dump it out the top...

PS - did you get the flush to run through first? supposed to be good to get rid of all that nasty ole-skool stoned-ages crud the rest of us are still using.

PPS - are you wearing your helmet while jumping nowadays?!?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Don't let creeper tell ya to turn it upside down and dump it out the top...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
that would not have been nice at'tall

Old 12-20-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
that would not have been nice at'tall
I still have the original lemon-lime Kool-Aid in my bike... I'll have to change it one-O-these-days.

Maybe raspberry-orange... I hear the kiwi-passion fruit is tasty too.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I still have the original lemon-lime Kool-Aid in my bike... I'll have to change it one-O-these-days.

Maybe raspberry-orange... I hear the kiwi-passion fruit is tasty too.
whacky how the ungulates just lap that stuff up off the road!?! Supposedly tastes sweet...

anywho, I am interested in this Evans stuff - nice of Swampy to R+D it for us!

Old 12-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Well, I put the Evans NPG+ in. I was seriously considering the creeper suggestion of flipping the bike up side down to drain the coolant but that would have entailed sacraficing some mirrors as kick stands to hold the bike up so the fairing wouldn't scrape. If I had some old mirrors handy I would have tried it.

I ended up just pulling the hoses and then refilling with evans for a flush cycle and then draining again. I figure if there is any risidual moisture I can just boil it off the next time I'm in traffic since the stock boil point is 225F-250F and the Evans is 375F! According to the manual there is only about 1 Liter in the system and I think I got most of it out by pulling the hose between the radiators and the hose that goes to the Cylinder head and then running a flush cycle.
It will be nice to be able to just chuckle when the boil light comes on.
Speaking of LOW PRESURE CAPS, does anyone know where I can find one of these LOW PRESSURE RADIATOR CAPS?? Are there any other items I myst consider when running a low pressure system?

Swampy screwed with this post 12-23-2004 at 10:09 PM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Well, I put the Evans NPG+ in. I was seriously considering the creeper suggestion of flipping the bike up side down to drain the coolant but that would have entailed sacraficing some mirrors as kick stands to hold the bike up so the fairing wouldn't scrape. If I had some old mirrors handy I would have tried it.
See that creep? Your methods is tempting... maybe we could get ChrisC to do some photo jobs of bikes upside down for a How-To guide.

Maybe they would put that in their freakin' Hall of Jizzdom!

Quote:
I ended up just pulling the hoses and then refilling with evans for a flush cycle and then draining again. I figure if there is any risidual moisture I can just boil it off the next time I'm in traffic since the stock boil point is 105F and the Evans is 375F! This is in fact what their web site suggested if you could not flush the water completely out. According to the manual there is only about 1 Liter in the
system and I think I got most of it out by pulling the hose between the radiators and the hose that goes to the Cylinder head and then running a flush cycle.
It will be nice to be able to just chuckle when the boil light comes on.
Speaking of LOW PRESURE CAPS, does anyone know where I can find one of these LOW PRESSURE RADIATOR CAPS?? Are there any other items I myst consider when running a low pressure system?
I wonder if you can just let the bike run with the cap off... the only thing that is gonna boil (i.e. expand) is the residual ole skool coolant and water so you shouldn't boil over, but it may escape as steam... WAIT! I could be dead wrong about this!

Low pressure cap? Just ask your local KTM dealership OK, um, no, probably gonna have to get the cap specs and match them to other caps to do that. I think you may be the first around here to do the Evans NPG+ so you are the trailblazer!

Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #9
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Seems there is one trade off with the Evans. My totally unscientific seat-o-the-pants observation is that it causes a slightly higher running temperature (as expected).
but, what is really driving me bonkers is...I pretty much got old coolant all over everything in the change out process. I hosed it down once, then twice, but, I'm STILL getting coolant vapors to the point its giving me a headache.
I can't see any leaks so, I was wondering where the coolant overflow drain goes after it goes into the steering head??? Perhaps I did my overfilling trick and its going down there somewhere?? Looks like I traded my oil leak for a coolant leak. BTW the oil leaking on the headers was becasue the mechanic apearantly decided I didn't need new valve cover gaskets!! They fixed it for free but it took them 3 freakin' weeks!
Anybody know where that coolant overflow hose goes after it goes into the stearing head?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Seems there is one trade off with the Evans. My totally unscientific seat-o-the-pants observation is that it causes a slightly higher running temperature (as expected).
but, what is really driving me bonkers is...I pretty much got old coolant all over everything in the change out process. I hosed it down once, then twice, but, I'm STILL getting coolant vapors to the point its giving me a headache.
I can't see any leaks so, I was wondering where the coolant overflow drain goes after it goes into the steering head??? Perhaps I did my overfilling trick and its going down there somewhere?? Looks like I traded my oil leak for a coolant leak. BTW the oil leaking on the headers was becasue the mechanic apearantly decided I didn't need new valve cover gaskets!! They fixed it for free but it took them 3 freakin' weeks!
Anybody know where that coolant overflow hose goes after it goes into the stearing head?
Would the higher running temp mean the evans is not as good at heat transfer? Of course it will be better once the old stuff starts to boil, however, this seems odd. Why is it expected?

Your parts diagrams that came with the bike should show you something, otherwise, the engine manual. Lemme know if you didn't get it - someone posted a PDF on the web!

Old 12-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #11
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
Would the higher running temp mean the evans is not as good at heat transfer? Of course it will be better once the old stuff starts to boil, however, this seems odd. Why is it expected?

Your parts diagrams that came with the bike should show you something, otherwise, the engine manual. Lemme know if you didn't get it - someone posted a PDF on the web!
Well, when I had the water wetter they claimed that running mostly water and less anti-freeze makes for lower running tempertures--At the price of absolutely no low temp protection and the scale and sediment issues. I'm not saying the effect is extreme but, today the temps were in the low 60's (cold for florida)
and it seemed to run maybe a bar higher than I expected on the temp guage
Old 12-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #12
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:

Well, when I had the water wetter they claimed that running mostly water and less anti-freeze makes for lower running tempertures--At the price of absolutely no low temp protection and the scale and sediment issues. I'm not saying the effect is extreme but, today the temps were in the low 60's (cold for florida)
Old 12-21-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
So the all-antifreeze (zero water) Evans stuff should be higher still; got it. Boy the internet is nice for discussing this stuff b/c you dont have to sit there staring at the moronic expression on my face while I try to put two and two together!

One little item that i wanted to order from Sommer (that would be useful here) was their oil temp gauge on the dipstick. It would be nice to have a real temp rather than the coarse bar scale on the IMO. That and the fuel tank quick couplers, and the frame protectors, and the ... ya a few things.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #14
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
So the all-antifreeze (zero water) Evans stuff should be higher still; got it. Boy the internet is nice for discussing this stuff b/c you dont have to sit there staring at the moronic expression on my face while I try to put two and two together!

One little item that i wanted to order from Sommer (that would be useful here) was their oil temp gauge on the dipstick. It would be nice to have a real temp rather than the coarse bar scale on the IMO. That and the fuel tank quick couplers, and the frame protectors, and the ... ya a few things.
Meat ,

I was just looking at that today on the sommer site thinking that was a sweet piece of equipment, as well as the C/S cover that Passmore, and the Sommer toolbox that Jerome has, and the carbon fiber tank guards that ...

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:32 PM   #15
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:

Yeah, I have the temp guage and the Plastic frame guards. The thing about the temp guage is that you cannot see it when on the bike. And if it gets loose it grinds against something in there (gears?). It only came loose the first time I used it (not tight enough). Its nice but, I find I rarely look at it but, I reckon I would use it more if I lived in colder climates instead of one where the bike is already nearly fully warmed up by ambient temps. It IS less easy to loose than the stock cap though. Frame guards are nice but, can make for increased mud magnet effect and some what less access to certain areas when they are mounted. Yeah the fuel tank quick couplers would make life Much easier. I find myself less inclined to want to remove this tank than the smaller LC4 tanks.
I just got the two thumbs down on my stinking riding gear. Mind you the gear is brand new but, just one day on this coolant smelling rig did it and the nose arrived. My woman has this incredible forensic X-ray nose that can smell even the most minute odor through walls etc... I always get informed of any offensive olfactory unpleasantness. I suspect she is part K-nine.
My anti-freeze headache is starting to subside but, will likely return tomorrow when I go riding. Any tips anyone has for removing anti-freeze and oil from the headers would be appreciated.